schizophrenia?!

Discussion in 'General' started by fatman, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Several months ago, I got caught with weed. My dad wasn't angry at all but he was scared for me because the problems my uncle has. My uncle, about 50 years old, has schizophrenia and lives with his parents. He is really socially messed up and can hardly leave the house or have normal relations with people. With that being said, my genetics are in favor of developing the diesease. And marijuana has a large effect on the development of schizo.

Anyways, I didn;t really think much about what he said and I never really thought that I had symptoms of schizophrenia until recently. I was writing a paper on schizophrenia for my biology class and was reading some of the info on this website http://www.schizophrenia.com/diag.php#common.

Im really scared because all the symotoms sound like me! I started smoking by myself before I go to sleep awhile ago and now I do it almost every night for no reason. I have a couple good friends, but other than that I don't really talk or know many people because I'm really shy and sometimes socially awkward. However, I don't really talk to my friends about this kind of stuff and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. I'm smart but sometimes kind of slow and I have trouble putting my thoughts in words. Alot of times I try to avoid talking to people that aren't my close friends. I feel like a normal kid on the outside, but on the inside I feel really different and I sometimes have abnormal thoughts. Every once in a while I will hear something but I don't know if someone actually said it or it was just a though in my head. Sometimes I get existential thoughts like I'm the only one that exists and I'm all alone. I have troubles dealing with stress and don't really like to talk about it with anyone, so it is all locked up in my head. ahhh!

sorry thats really long but im starting to get really paranoid about it. do you think this is an early onset of schizophrenia or is there any advice you have? im thinking about stopping smoking alltogether and especially when im alone.

2. i dont really know anything about schizophrenia
    but you could just possibly be getting paranoid and you might start thinking you have all these symptoms when really you dont!
    but if you really think you're starting to become schizophrenic you should go see a psychiatrist or whatever they are called and get it checked out, just to be safe!
    hope this helped! :smoking:

3. #3 M369, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
    I think stopping smoking would be the smart thing to do for now.

You need to see a doctor man, get a proper look over and a digagnosis.
    Many anxiety disorders such as Derealisation and depersonalisation have very similar symptoms as schizophrenia but are absolutely harmless.

Maybe thinking about the possibility of getting schizophrenia has given you paranoia and/or anxiety and you are fooling yourself into believing you may be at risk.

Read my thread on Deralisation.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general/260441-feeling-spaced-out-feel-like-your-dream.html

4. #4 stoner_lukas, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009
    There is no correlation between marijuana use and development of schizophrenia. There have been recent studies that have shown this.

That said, we have no clue whether or not schizophrenia is hereditary. You will read in some places that it is, and in others you'll read that it's not. If you start exhibiting any signs of psychosis you should get yourself to a doctor. GC isn't really the best place to ask for medical advice.

NORML- New study casts doubt on cannabis induced psychosis claims

5. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qmYFN4UPKU&feature=related"]YouTube - Korn- Bitch we got a problem[/ame]

man, honestly i thought i was a schizo, i think its just getting lost in your own mind and getting paranoid. different parts of me speak up sometimes, whispering, sometimes yelling, its really your own subconsious.

because weed shows yourself to yourself :D even the dark parts.

6. i beg to differ hes asking about something that could dig up his predisposed condition

i've smoked about 4 years, and until last year I quit hanging out with my friends, and i just smoked alone, all the time, I worked and bought nothing but herb, and smoked it all to myself, I was high all the time, when I wake up and when I fall asleep

then things quickly started getting worse, voices, delusions, perception changes (like MAJOR, like I was on tv all the time and only I can't see what ppl are really watching..like ppl have one channel and its me and my thoughts and its entertainment for the world lol fucking scary...and its not like "oo noo this is happening!...It was happening...while out side i'd HEAR CLEARLY ppl on tv describe what I was looking at, what I was thinking, if its something embarassing, i'd hear some kind of music..like 'TADA! YOUR LIFES BEST MOMENTS!' <--like the "best of adam sandler" kinda thing

^sorry just had to explain a little, it was like weed made my perception go all away around 2048 degrees and then some, instead of the 'englightnmentness' that you usually get say 85 degrees ya know a new 'angle'

still now i have voices, but its pretty minimal/tolerable...and i still get paranoid somtimes @ very low level (still there tho)

and i've quit weed, but rarely i'd get like two hits in MAYBE a bowl and i'm still messed pyshcotically but I try to keep my mind preoccupied like watching movies, playing games

wow this post is far too long

7. id go to a psychiatrist if i were you. to be honest we all should. well, whichever type is the one that talks with you, and doesnt prescribe medications.

8. It would suck to be a schizo. Hope you're okay dude... go se a doctor asap though lol.

9. They have actually detected a test to see if you HAVE schizophrenia. Really interesting video/info. Schizophrenics See Through Hollow-mask Illusion

Some people have a natural inversion, or handicap to some visual illusions. People with the disease will be able to dispel the illusion and for anyone without the disease will just be tricked. :D

10. There have been studies that have shown a positive link for those who are pre-disposed for schizophrenia and use of marijuana. Just because your uncle has it, it doesn't mean that you are pre-disposed, however. I would talk to your doc to see if you can get some genetic testing done to put your fears at rest.

11. Don't self-diagnose, it never works. No matter what disorder you are looking at, if you start to think you show the symptoms you will find ways to rationalize it until you're convinced you have it.

If you are really worried that you might be schizophrenic make an appointment with a psychiatrist. They will be able to give you an official diagnosis, as well as prescribe any needed medication.

12. See a psychiactric professional if you have concerns. There is a strong genetic component to the disease. However, cannabis is NOT known to play a large role in it. There is some evidence that if one is predisposed to it then cannabis can help trigger it, but the mechanism and frequency of that phenomenon is not yet well understood.

If you have concerns you should not be smoking at all until you see a professional for a diagnosis.

13. If you read the study I linked to, you would see that cannabis DOES NOT "dig up" any predisposed condition. A predisposed condition is just that: something you're already likely to get, whether it's because of a genetic link (and schizophrenia has a real genetic link) or because of environmental factors such as other drug use. Cannabis plays no roll in bringing psychosis to the surface, although it can (and will, in most cases) exacerbate it.

The point is, if you're already likely to become schizophrenic it will happen whether you're using cannabis or not. There is no "cannabis induced psychosis" as proponents of anti-marijuana laws have been screaming about for decades. It just doesn't exist. This is what the study I've linked to concludes, as well as several before it, and I'm sure several that will come after it.

Don't blame psychotic symptoms on marijuana, because there's no correlation. If you're exhibiting signs of psychosis, get to a doctor.

14. if you read any kind of symptoms list your going to find some that fit your lifestyle.

Over-eating
    Over-sleeping
    Parinoia
    etc.

but when they start interfering with your live to where you cant function properly day to day, is when you should be really worried. just because i am paranoid doesnt mean i have schizo, it just means i tend to keep an eye out for myself more and its not making my life harder to live.