Will Bars Serve Me At Midnight Tonight?

Discussion in 'General' started by TLF1088, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Tomorrow's my 21st, I was wondering if a bar would serve me if I went tonight after midnight? I thought it wouldn't be a problem, but a friend of mine told me that they have to close and then reopen on the day of my birthday before they can legally serve me.

Anybody know?

2. i do not see why theyd have to close and re-open,
    that makes no sense

just go, theyll serve you

3. If you have an ID, the bar has a clock, and last call is not until after midnight...

Yes.

4. I dont have an official answer because I waited until the day after to hit up the bars, but I dont see why not, you`re legally 21 what can they do?
    They'll probably encourage you to have a great time and wish you a happy birthday!

5. I bought cigarettes at midnight on my 18th birthday, and the fucking lady made me wait until 5 minutes after midnight.

6. try and buy a beer at 11: 55

7. If the place has security cameras, they will likely wait.

8. It depends on the bar, and the bartender. One thing to note, your drivers license expires on your 21st birthday, which can cause problems. Make sure you've renewed your license, and have the paperwork to prove that you've done so. Without the paperwork a bar can refuse to serve you because an expired ID isn't valid.

9. Yeah, I renewed my license today.

I think most bars would make an exception around your 21st. I'm not getting my new I.D. in the mail until next week.

10. #10 Neromatic, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
    You'd think, but the decision ultimately comes down to the bartender on duty.

If you really want to get served at a bar tonight, bring 3-4 friends. Make your friends order before you, then if the bartender gives you any problems say that (s)he just served your friends so you can't leave without them. No bartender would kick you all out, unless nobody from your group tipped.

Edit: As a bartender, who missed his 21st birthday (expired license), I'm just trying to give you all of the relevant information. If it were me, I'd give you a free drink after midnight.

11. #11 High I'm Chris, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
    Well where I'm from (in Minnesota) they passed a law that you have to wait until 8 am on the day of your 21st birthday to avoid the "powerhour" that has become such a problem.

"This provision took effect June 3, 2005, as did a change that will require people to wait until 8 a.m. on the day of their 21st birthday before being able to legally buy and consume alcohol. This change is from a bill sponsored by Rep. Morrie Lanning (R-Moorhead) that called for an end to “Power Hour.” Formerly, people could legally drink alcohol at midnight on their 21st birthday. Some people would celebrate by attempting to drink 21 alcoholic beverages between midnight and when the bar closes. The practice, known as "Power Hour," caused the alcohol poisoning death of at least one Minnesotan."

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hinfo/newlawsart2005-0.asp?yearid=2005&storyid=215

So check up on your local laws!:)

12. yea in mn there are laws about it... not sure about other states.

13. Man, we're in a recession. Bars are trying to run a business; the reason why they are so strict about the age cutoff is due to lawsuits and undercovers trying to pull the same thing.

If you're legally 21, they'll let you drink.

14. You're fine. Unless you're in Minnesota.

If a bartender won't serve you then take you're money to the next bar and make sure the bartender knows thats what you intend to do.

If they do let you in take it easy and they will appreciate you as a customer..... you don't want the first night of you're 21st ruining you're reputation among the flies :p