What is/was your college GPA?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheRoeBiz, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Although GPA is definitely not a factual indicator of someones intelligence (in my opinion), I am curious as to where the rest of GC stands in the college grading world. Do you think your GPA is a good indicator of your intelligence? Why or why not? What college do you attend?

My GPA is about a 3.44 combined from a community college and UC. Sometimes I feel like this number is a poor indicator of intelligence, I don't feel I deserve a GPA even this high. I try to find the easy way out of everything... As I'm sure most dudes at GC do.

2. We don't have GPA here in the UK, but I do have an IQ of 132 :hello: ....not that IQ is much of an indication of intelligence either.

3. GPA is not usually a good indicator of intelligence but rather a (poor) gauge of work effort. I am a student at Cal (UC Berkeley) which is generally acknowledged as a world-class academic institution and I can tell you that there are alot of kids who go here who are honestly not that bright, but work so goddamn hard and devote so much of their life to studying that they can major in subjects like O-Chem or Bio-Engineering and maintain relatively good GPA's. On the other hand, I have friends who are painfully brilliant who have lack-luster GPA's, like myself (holding down a 3.0), because of the time we spend patrying, devoting time to extracurriculars like sports (which just devours time like no bodies business), and other life pursuits. I should also mention that I have failed 2 classes twice! That will reallllllllllllly hurt your GPA. I totally dropped the ball in each of the classes the first time through, missing the mid-terms (WTF was i doing?!?!?!?!) and then becoming so overloaded with work thru procrastination that come the end of the semester I didn't have the time study enough to get a redeeming grade on the final.
    Then you have the rare examples of super-humans in which the blinding mental brilliance is paired with a solid work ethic and those people are amazing. There are a few on my sports team who manage to party all the time, get all of their work done, and set the curve in their Chem-Engineering classes all while retaining a balance of work and play. These kind of folks make me truly envious and help me to stay motivated becuase pretty much anything I do looks so pathetic by comparison!

Im kinda high, but to distill my point: GPA is not really a good measure of intelligenct. It is a better indicator of how hard someone is willing to work, at best, since depending on the curriculum, intelligence of the students, and so many other factors people can have all kinds of GPA's and be dumb as dirt or smart as balls. I know plenty of kids who are going to be matriculating to the nations premier law-schools who are just not terribly bright but will break their backs to get a project done. I also know grads who are doing little with their lives/time but if you talk to them about anything for more than 5 minutes you will be astonighed by the scope of their knowledge and how they engage the world and all its academic disciplines.

4. ~2.6 @ VT in the engineering program... getting the fuck outta engineering. GO HOKIES!

5. I hear ya, I graduated from BVU with a 3.7, and I too looked for easy ways around stuff. I feel that I deserved the grades though cause I live by the phrase, dont work hard, work smart.

6. the college i attend has no grades. :hello: no majors/minors either. you do what interests you and then get written evaluations from your profs and from yourself that speak of your accomplishments. If you miss assignments or classes, the reduction of honors come directly from your credit so its like a modified pass/fail system. you either know the research and can perform the crafting techniques or you don't. If you did something else, you can explain why and receive credit for that as well. converting my credit gained/attempted i'd have something like a 3.8

i love this school, such a good fit for me.

7. agreed...i go to NYU and ive met some dumb fuckin people, no doubt...GPA is a horrible barometer for intelligence

my friends used to always bitch at me in high school cuz i never had to study, partied almost every night, and finished in the top 10% of my class...i dont know why i can do it i just can..i soak shit up easily when i learn and and it sticks with me..i usually dont have to take notes either...it was the same way when i picked up the bass guitar - i took lessons for a year and my teacher was always comedically pissed at me cuz he'd have a whole lesson planned out, show me what he wante me to do at the beginning and 20 minutes into it i'd have everything figured out ready to start practicing on my own...if i had it my way i'd devote my life to music...but since the world revolves around money, the easiest way to survive and be happy is to fit in the 'system' while never sinking down to the level of the 'system'..if that makes any sense......utililze the system for what you need to get out of it in order to better your own life

i want a good job and make money so eventually i will be able to do what i love to do without haveing to struggle for it...and the best way to do that is to do well in school, because although most people know GPA does not measure their intelligence, like you said it measures to some degree how hard people are willing to work, and that's what people consider when you're elligible for a job..which sucks but thats how it is...so play the system's game in order to beat it

right now ive got a 3.65 not counting this current semester

8. High School GPA: 3.6
    High School IQ: 165

Combined College GPA: 2.6
    College IQ: 155

9. first time freshman here my high school gpa was 3.0 after busting my ass for 6 hrs daily after school studying. schools hard as fuck for me im not a real book smart guy but if you threw me on the streets i could come up with everything you could desire after one year.

the man reason i hate school is because your tested on your knowledge that you may not have at a certain time but if you learn it later you get no credit for knowing the same shit. fuck school fuck grades. numbers aint shit

10. wat school is that that doesn't have grades or majors?

My GPA - 3.86, although GPA's cant really be compared to other college's gpa's. I go to a state school, so if i try to equate my gpa to a "real school" or an IVY league, i should prbly have a 2 point something.

11. As of last semester I had a 3.8 woot woot :p

12. Evergreen State in Washington. Good for ecologists, biologists, artists, crazy activists and tokers in general.

[edit]
    thought this was a good image of campus.
    [​IMG]

13. New College of Florida too.

14. So far cumulative after two total semesters attended: 2.7.

Yea...I'm getting dominated. :(

[​IMG]

15. 0000000000000000000000

16. i was a low 2.4 or 2.5 chemistry major, NCSU graduate.

chems been pretty helpful when it comes to understanding plants, feeding mechanism etc.

i guess, i cant say the degree was useless.

17. I had a 3.78, workin 35 hours, taking 16 credits, plus extracurriculars which added another 20+ hours to my week. For a short while I even worked 10 hours in the kitchen a week, too. I only went for a year, and it was some BS college, but the curriculum was rigorous... Insane amounts of reading. Who says pot heads can't do well in school? LOL!

18. 3.55, doing a Biology/Pre-med major at University of Michigan

19. 3.6-3.7 atm, and I'm a fucking STONERRR :)

20. mines about 2.8-3.0 Hopefully this semester will help me out :)