Would you rather live in a big city or a town? Or even the country?

Discussion in 'General' started by B ran420, Sep 19, 2013.

1. I really want to move out of state just so i can start new, reinvent myself, and basically get some change in my life but im having a hard time figuring out if i want to move to a town or a city. I was born in Denver and lived in Chicago until moving to fucking Omaha because of my parents job. Well now im "stuck here" and i want OUT!

Ive been looking at Redding CA and this place called Hurricane Utah, but the fact those cities are so small kind of intimidates me. Where i live now is actually the smallest city i have ever lived in with a population of 600,000, so moving to a town with only 50,000 freaks me out. I worry that i wont be able to make as much friends or find weed, but at the same time im sick of dealing with traffic, stupid people, CRIME, and the fact it takes me 40 mins to get home from work everyday. 

I guess im starting to rant, but what are your guys opinions about living in a city Vs. a town. Have you lived in both before? Pros and cons? 

2. #2 fancypantsdawg, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
    Holy shit, this is maybe the first time I've seen anyone/anything making a reference to Hurricane, UT. Seriously thought no one knew it existed except for its like 3 inhabitants. This is where my rehab was and let me tell you, you do NOT wanna live there. It is WAY too small of a town. Then again, I'm sure some people enjoy that very quality. However, I do remember most of our staff would complain about how shitty the town was and how badly they wanted to "get out". It is very, very limited. Also, and this may or may not matter to you, but most people (and I do mean most) are of the LDS religion. That means more than you'd think. 
    Just had to mention this.

3. I am not a city kid at all. I lived in London for three solid years and while I maintain a genuine love-hate relationship with it, my personality doesn't suit city life. I don't like who I am in the city, but that's just me. To each their own.

You've got to pick what works for you. Are you sociable enough to make friends anywhere? Can you entertain yourself without the late-night amenities? Do you like your space?

I currently live in a small city, somewhere not far above 100,000 people, but it's thousands of miles before the another town with more than a four-digit population. I really dig it; it works for me and my lifestyle. I prefer to live in the country with plenty of space, but I also dig being within a short drive from the city.

4. i always have wanted to move to a more rural area, timber or thick forest 20 miles in every direction and im good, even better if its accessible by dirt roads only.

5. Town of only 3,500, born and raised. It's weird though, we're not rural, quite a wealthy area actually, just small. And we're a tourist town (some of the best ski/golf resorts in the usa) intersected by two highways, so it's been expanding as long as I can remember, but the population has barely changed in two decades. It's nice, sort of a city feel but with small town people. I doubt I'll ever leave, but if I do it'll be to live in some secluded mountainous region, no neighbors, nobody around for miles and miles.

6. I live on an island with an endless interior.

7. I live in Houston, but I went to college out I'm East Texas and loved every second of it. I went from a high school graduating class of 967, to a college with 300 students total. Culture shock of a lifetime lol. Once I finished college up there, I moved back home, but I'm in the process of moving back. At first it was Arkansas, but thankfully, I get to stay in Texas.

I'm a country kind of girl. :D

"Picture you and me in a cabin by the sea, sit up on the porch and we can burn a couple trees"

8. Dude I thinking about moving out to redding too!! I currently live in the Bay Area and just want to go to Shasta college there to take a few automotive classes there, my friend who lived there got 13 years says its hella chill if you smoke, there a mall there so that means a few jobs ( I plan on working at in n out during college)
    Anyway yeah I suggest you move to redding,ca its hella naturey and chill

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. The closest town to me has a population of about 100 people. I've lived in the country my entire life. I've been wanting to see what it's like living in a city.

10. I've lived in Los Angeles my whole life and let me tell you, I would love to see how its like living in the country. At least in a smaller town near the mountains or something. I'd like to see what it's like having some peace and quiet instead of hearing assholes peeling out in the middle of the night, sirens all the time, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. My friends have an amazing lake house up in north Idaho, surrounded by mountains and wilderness. The weather is unbelievable, and it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest grocery store. That's my kind of place. 

12. I would like to live in a Ted Kaczynski esque cabin. 12x12, although I would like an outhouse to shit in, electricity and the internet.

13. I've lived in the city for all my life and I've had enough, I plan on living my life in a more rural area. Or the later part of it at least

14. I grew up in a large-ish town, I currently live in a small-ish city. 

Ideally, I'd take a small-ish city but maybe just on the outskirts. Ideally, I want to live in the mountains, but being able to walk/bike outside to all the stores in a city is nice. 

Hurricane, UT with a population of 13,000..............that's a big town by my standards. :D

16. #16 fancypantsdawg, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
    Haha it might've been the area that I was in... somewhere near St. George or something. Either way I never heard good things from the folks living there, but like I said, I'm sure some DID find it pleasant to reside in. I'm also from Miami, so it just happened to seem that much smaller.

17. my town has a population of about 50,000 but it's not really big compared to other big cities around me like manchester and liverpool. i went on a night out recently in newcastle (further north) and on the drive up there we stopped in this small countryside village type of place and made me glad i live where i do. i'm sort of in between a village and a city. if i want peace and quiet i can get it, but if i want nightlife i can also get that too.

18. I lived in a town of 22000 as a kid, than moved a half hour south to the country, and i can say that the country can be peaceful, but so dull at times.

In a year im moving to Toronto which has a few million people so i much prefer the city

19. In Idaho i get the best of both. I lived in what most people would call country. Fields in every direction and farm land for a good 20 miles with live stock and all. Then there was boise with 252k people i think? about 30 minutes away. I fucking love it. I get the small town and privacy but with a few decent sized cities and down town areas i can get to in no time.

I haven't and never will live in a big city.

20. Idk. I like to think that i could live in the country. Or out in some little town away from society. But honestly? I'm city born and raised. And even staying in my apartment too long drives me up the fucking wall. I doubt i could live in the country. I need the hustle and bustle to sleep at night.