Can someone please help me understand this essay topic

Discussion in 'General' started by Starks, Apr 22, 2013.

1. This essay must be a persuasive, original, and carefully documented argument in which the manner in which a broad spectrum of media coverage of a current event or issue impacts the manner in which an individual understands and values that event or issue is analyzed. Media analyzed should include print media, online newspapers, local broadcast news, national broadcast news, cable news, websites that accompany all of the above, other websites, blogs, etc. You should be researching the event or issue itself and how what you know is impacted by where you get your information from as you learn about something. You are not arguing about the event/issue itself – so avoid those topics that make you can’t do that with (i.e. abortion & religion).

What exactly is it asking for?

2. i think it's wants you to research a current media topic through various mediums and then write a persuasive essay showing how and why your feelings on the topic were impacted based on the information from said sources. if that makes sense. it would probably easier to pick a topic u know nothing about so you can have a fresh slate on the topic. meaning no opinion nor feelings

3. well you could be like on CNN they said weed was bad but all these people online say its awesome...

and how do different sources make you feel about said topic
    like if I only watched TV and didnt have the internet my view might be screwed.

idk maybe...

4. I think you could do something like a timeline of media and how it has affected our knowledge of things. Take the USS Maine incident in 1898, the coverage from the media and how that coverage impacted the Spanish-American war. Then you could go on from there to when TV entered the stage in the 1950's and what effect that had on news, beyond that you can go to the effect the internet had. ETCETC

5. #5 DebbyDowner, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
    before i attempt to decipher this, you're professor, T.A., or whoever needs to be fired for being so vague. write him a bad review at the end of semester and make sure to influence people you know so that they do so as well.

anyways:
    1.) this is an argumentative essay about a or in other words, one specific event or issue. Argue how it impacts the individual
    2.)this event or issue must be analzyed with various sources/various means of sources (ask him to clarify)
    3.) along with this research you must research how acquiring this information from various sources may impact an individual, not you, but just in general the average joe.
    4.) he contradicts himself by saying how it affects you, so maybe it's about how it affects you and the average joe or maybe just you. (ask him to clarify)
    5.) avoid events or issues that you may have bias towards

good fucking luck, wow

Edit: A good event: the presidental debates, pick one
    Sources: Fox news vs Cnn vs Msnbc
    You're welcome.

6. Honestly I think it's asking how the media affects how people viewed a certain event.

You could write about any incorrect data that came out at the beginning of the story, any possible bias from the news source, and anything else you can think of.

A possible topic could be the Sandy Hook shooting. What would be interesting would be to compare a US media outlet (CNN, FOX, MSNBC) to a media outlet looking in from the outside (BBC or any other foreign news outlet ). Sometimes there's quite a difference, and BBC isn't usually as biased on American issues.

Then again, I suck at writing papers and this could be the opposite of what your professor wants. Hell if I know. Good luck though, this paper seems rough.

7. I think it's safe to say I'd lose marks for writing too much on that question.