How do you make conversation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Omega369, Feb 4, 2013.

1. I'm really bad at talking to guys, and girls I'm not attracted to. Flirting is different as I make little conversation and use 85% body language. Plus my mind turns off and I don't think about what I'm saying.

I can open conversations, but can't transition into long ones. I don't think what I'm saying is interesting enough because they never seem to go anywhere.

Here's an example:
    Me: Hey! How are you doing?"
    Them: Good, and you?
    Me: Pretty good, having a busy night?"
    Them: Yeah, and you?
    Me: It's was pretty slow in the morning, but picked up.
    Them: Oh
    Me: You enjoy the rest of your day!
    Them: Bye

Like what the hell else do you talk about, and how do you make the transition to a topic where you can engage in interesting conversation.

Going from small talk to large talk is what I'm trying to figure out. The transition is where I'm having issues.

Not think about it is not an option, I wish I could turn off this inner talking when I wanted. Alcohol seems to do the trick, weed amplifies it.

Omega369 :wave:

2. find something that the both of you can laugh about. clowning around is always a good way to make some conversation lol :) just don't overthink it or force it out. go with the flow

3. Pick a topic and beat it like a dead horse until it can transform into something else.

Talking about work? Speak of every aspect of it. The smell, how it looks, how it reminds you of the Inca empire. Oh the Inca are one of my favorite ancient civilizations. Sumerians are a close second. Ancient civilizations are a very interesting topic. You can look back at their inventions and see how the discoveries build on each other. The Chinese invented the firework? Wow I didn't know that. They must've come up with some form of black powder first though. I wonder if it was an accident. Some Chinese guy just threw some shit in a bowl and lit it on fire I bet. You think it was outlawed? I bet the military used it though. That'll freak their enemies out, eh? Portable fire... Lighters are pretty much just portable fire. If the bic lighter was introduced 50,000 years ago imagine where we'd be today. Probably have flying cars and shit.... Maybe even time travel. Where would you go first if you had a time machine? The year 3000? Eh, I'd probably go to 1000 and become a knight or something.

I started with work and ended with knighthood. You just gotta let the conversation flow and notice the direction its going. If you can morph it into something else, do it. Then you'll get more conversational ideas flowing.

4. Hello mam, is your vagina moist today?

5. Give hint to a specific setting like "hey did you watch the super bowl? man id rather watch two pigs fuxk than watch that trash again!" Then your buddy goes "nah man i hate football but i do like smoking bud." You start talking about bud and the first time you smoked and youll share ideas and stories.

Just remember you're sharing experiences with people, not just being curiously courteous. Get personal, ask about their hoodie and where its from. Why do you like it? Fabric, color, etc.....

6. Yeah, pretty much everything connects. Most people find it awkward to not have anything to talk about, I think it's quite pleasant! Every sense or experience could be brought up and compared to a lot of situations. "Oh shit! I think I just sharted.. It smells like tacos.. I want tacos.. You want tacos?" then you talk about tacos.. that simple bro! People aren't really interested in other peoples lives anyway so a good laugh or a simple observation will do. Just keep it active unless you just wanna be quiet, then you need to tell em you ain't got nothing to talk about. People love talking about themselves, so ask about things they were up to and their current shit or what their wearing or something. After a few minutes its either a flowing conversation or your in silence.. Both parties are to blame so it isn't your fault.

7. it's hard to have conversations when you aren't actually interested and focusing on talking for the sake of conversation, rather than talking with self-expression and opinion

8. Just reveal an embarrassing story about yourself, it's easy and it shows how much confidence you have because you can laugh at yourself and I'm almost certain they'll laugh as well.

Friend: "Wassup man!"
    Me: "Was poppin' brothuh g's! Wat brings you over here"?
    Friend: "Just went to the store for a bogey, watchu fucking with"?
    Me: "Tryna mack? BET! Yo you go to cleveland right, they prolly told you some fucked up shit about me being a crack head or sumtin... tell me not"?
    Friend: "WORD!!! But da fuck, aren't you like 2 months sober or some shit"?
    Me: "Yeah man, but it was because I barely went to school and half the time I did go I was high or drunk. This one time the ambulance had to pick me up because I was throwing up all over the place. I only smoked some herb, and as the ambulance was walking me to the truck I was laughing hard body... it was too funny"!
    Friend: "What the fuck(laughs), yo that's crazy, that reminds me of this time my boy threw up after smoking shitty greens"
    Me: "WORD, I know who your talking about. He said after that he's never going to smoke greens any more, only high potent product. Feels me"?
    Etc....

Just share stories, that's all me and my friends do. It's funny and entertaining.

9. My mother's ex boss is very social. I watch the way she talks to people, when she asks questions "what do you do?" she asks more on that topic, she makes you feel like she's genuinely interested and the more comfortable you feel around a person and the more interest they take in you, the more you want to talk to them. Take an interest in what they say, ask questions that stem from answers they give you, the more you ask about them, the more they want to talk to you and ask about you.

10. That's completely true, just ask questions and show your interest in what they're saying. This is how I make friends with strangers, to my friends I've had for a while they always joke saying "are you a cop, interrogating me and shit"! Which is why I just share stories with friends I've had for a while.

I've had conversations with strangers in my class that was fueled entirely around me asking questions and offering my help in the subject being learned.

On a side not, stop being so anxious about how a conversation should be or if the person cares about what you have to say or enjoys your company.

11. Nein nein nein nien!!