Health risks of cannabis 'underestimated', experts warn. WTF?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ollieeeee, Jun 6, 2012.

1. #1 Ollieeeee, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
    BBC News - Health risks of cannabis 'underestimated', experts warn

Edit: Link to the article on the British Lung Foundation site - http://www.lunguk.org/campaigns/med...understanding-of-the-health-risks-of-cannabis

"Risk of developing lung cancer is up to twenty times greater in a cannabis cigarette than in a tobacco cigarette – yet 88% of the public believe tobacco cigarettes pose the greater risk"

"Young people in particular are smoking cannabis unaware that, for instance, each cannabis cigarette they smoke could increase their chances of developing lung cancer by as much as an entire packet of 20 tobacco cigarettes."

Ummmm.... Wtf.

2. Well fuck I'm dead.

3. This article is poorly cited and shows a lack of evidence. It provides many statistics with little to no evidence of the actual study. This is hearsay and fear mongering. Smoke on :smoke:

4. These pop up every so often. Ive seen a few on "reputable" news sites warning of the dangers of mj. I think the last one was saying heavy smokers get brain damage and have the memory of an 80 year old or some such. I forget :rolleyes:

5. #5 BadKittySmiles, Jun 6, 2012
    It's hard to believe, but the British/gov are often worse than the US when it comes to falsifying cannabis propaganda... this is just another example.

Another recent example was when their tiny island tried to take claim of the 'first person to ever overdose' on cannabis... because someone with heart disease, had a heart attack, and happened to have cannabis in their system so obviously that's what did it :rolleyes: (not exactly how a civilized society determines the cause of death :p ).

There have been dozens of larger studies performed around the world which have proved otherwise, but the brits always magically somehow produce studies, or pull figures out of their arses, that go against the average outcome. :)

(Links to the largest, longest and most conclusive study of its kind, ever performed, on cannabis and its effects on lung function and the occurrence of respiratory distress... the conclusions have always been that even heavy cannabis smokers, have the same rate of occurrence or less than 100% NON-smokers, for most respiratory illness, and we have GREATER lung capacity than non-smokers because, cannabis does so little harm, that we instead build up greater lung condition than those who don't smoke, and do not exercise, due to our 'breathing exercises'!
    The same style of study and even some of the very same studies, which prove how harmless cannabis is, are used to indicate how harmful tobacco is... the studies show average tobacco use causes a 20-fold or greater increase in many respiratory diseases/cancers, but the same studies prove heavy cannabis smoke leaves smokers as healthy or healthier, than non-smokers. :hello: )

Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage | Healthland | TIME.com

Marijuana Use Does Not Harm Lungs, 20-year Study Finds - ProCon.org

6. Perhaps they meant the widsom of a 80 year old man :cool:..Common typo

7. This is very frustrating for people from the UK. The BBC are widely regarded as the best and most trustworthy news source in the UK and when they post shit like this it makes me very sad :(

8. oh....I see what you did there...well played, well played..
    [​IMG]

9. This misinformation is getting old man, people are starting to see the light.

10. LOL It's from the BBC, that says it all really!

11. #11 Storm Crow, Jun 6, 2012
    These would provide a bit more factual reading!

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.
    (abst - 2007)
    {Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. -- Preet et al. 2007 (1): 4749 -- AACR Meeting Abstracts

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows (news – 2007)
    Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

Marijuana Ingredients Slow Invasion by Cervical and Lung Cancer Cells
    (news - 2007) Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube

Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial growth factor-induced lung cancer cell migration in vitro as well as its growth and metastasis in vivo. (abst – 2008) Delta9-Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits epithelial gro... [Oncogene. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may contribute to the anti-invasive action of cannabidiol on human lung cancer cells. (abst - 2010) Decrease of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 may ... [Pharm Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion via upregulation of tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinases-1. (abst - 2010) Cannabidiol inhibits cancer cell invasion ... [Biochem Pharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Medical Marijuana; The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University. (news – 2010)
    Free News, Magazines, Newspapers, Journals, Reference Articles and Classic Books - Free Online Library

Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and metastasis via intercellular adhesion molecule-1. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol inhibits lung cancer cell invasion and m... [FASEB J. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Who ya going to believe?

I think I trust PubMed and other medical sources, over those fools! :p

:smoke: :bongin: [​IMG]

Granny :wave:

12. The old group of scientists actually all quit because they discovered the truths about cannabis, Nutt was the head scientists name, and he told the gov't either you tell the truth or you fire me, and the gov't didn't want to spread the truth and their findings, so they fired Nutt and all the scientists that worked there (or a large majority of them). I think Nutt is still fighting the good fight.

Popular intoxicants

BBC News - Mind-altering drugs research call from Prof David Nutt

UK Drug Chief Fired For Cannabis Comments | Cannabis Culture

David Nutt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. "It is clear that this report was written not as a scientific document but as campaigning propaganda.

As such it is misleading, inaccurate and dangerously irresponsible."

That is a quote from the article itself...

14. #14 Ulfhethnar, Jun 6, 2012
    I don't know why some would act shocked when someone states that inhaling and holding in smoke may be harmful.

15. Ah yeah I crack myself up. Sometimes other people agree.:hello:

16. BREAKING NEWS: Evil murder weed now 20 times deadlier than the last report we brought to you.

At the end of the day folks we have all indulged in things that aint so healthy for us, we know the risks and we do it anyway. It should be our right to choose.

17. Which is why I just bought a vaporizer. :D

18. i dont fucking care. no point in trying to make it safeley to death

19. and 1 joint = 20 cigarettes. that is absolute bullshit. i can feel physical pains in my lungs from smoking cigarettes that last a while. its nothing like choking on a hit.