Grit Weed in Shanghai, China

Discussion in 'General' started by Heypengyou, May 17, 2012.

1. #1 Heypengyou, May 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
    SHANGHAI CONTAMINATED ADULTERATED GRIT HASH / CANNABIS / WEED / MARIJUANA WARNING

Warning to those (expats especially) living in Shanghai, China:

I'm an American expat living in Shanghai who, for the past three years, has been regularly smoking kief / kif / keef hash coming from random Xinjiang / Uighur / Muslim dealers. Recently, a bowl cashed into my mouth and I was overwhelmed with some gritty sand-like substance. Searching through the internet immediately alarmed me to the grit weed problems in Europe.

I gained access to a microscope and found huge amounts of beautiful trichomes COMPLETELY SURROUNDED by rounded beads (0.05 - 0.10mm in diameter). I'm fairly certain that these are the silica crystals so dreadfully detailed on several grit weed websites. Grits similar to the pic posted here (Gritweed : Grit Weed : Contaminated Cannabis)

Words can't describe the terrified chills that have been going down my spine just thinking about how irresponsible I was to have possibly jeopardized my good health.

PLEASE, TO ALL THOSE EXPATS AND TRAVELERS IN SHANGHAI, CHINA: STAY AWAY FROM STREET DEALERS. KNOW YOUR DEALER WELL AND DO A TASTE CHECK OF EVERY OUNCE OF WEED / CANNABIS / MARIJUANA YOU CONSIDER BUYING IN SHANGHAI. IF YOU FEEL A CRUNCH BETWEEN YOUR TEETH WHILE BITING DOWN, THROW THE BAG BACK INTO THE DEALERS FACE AND YELL AT HIM.

I personally doubt the Uighur dealers know the silicosis implications of having silica / quartz in the weed. I doubt they even know what silica is in fact...

More than likely, 90% of the weed in Shanghai is contaminated. I'm pretty sure I've been getting hints of gritty substances in my weed for the past three years. For some reason, I always shrugged it off as ground up seeds or stems (or maybe even random outdoor sand particles blown into the resin while growing). After reading up on grit weed, and considering the desperate profit motives going on in this country, I highly doubt this is the case anymore.

I'm assuming that the cannabis / weed / marijuana is originally sprayed with glass frosting then later on tumbled or shaken to form the kief hash / soap hash which is so easily found on the streets in Shanghai.

In terms of grit weed, my research tells me that chances are fairly small that silicosis will develop. The size of the particles are too large to pry their way into the air sacs in the lungs. But still, what a shady circumstance to have to ponder over watch out for the rest of my life (How Do Particulates Enter the Respiratory System? : OSH Answers).

TO THE END OF PROHIBITION.

GRASSCITY, IS THERE ANYWAY THAT I COULD PUBLICIZE THIS BETTER ON YOUR WEBSITE?? MOST PEOPLE ARE TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS TO GRIT WEED IN SHANGHAI. WORD NEEDS TO SPREAD. I'M PRETTY SURE THIS IS THE FIRST POST ON THE SITUATION,...

2. Bump.

Spread the word homie.

Be safe, Chinese blades!

3. Sounds bad. Thanks for sharing.

4. Man.. Hows living in China?

Shitty?

5. Ain't going going, back back to China, China.

[​IMG]

6. 'gritty' would some things up

7. you should grow your own so you dont have to deal with that

8. yea lol whatre the fines for growing?

9. China is the last place I would grow weed. They would pry lock you under the jail man. Don't do that!!!!!!!!!

Also OP. why do they put it in? To add weight or just to screw people over? I'm confused why its in there in the first place.

10. I have always heard from other people that the weed sucks in China but the hash is awesome. Good to get a different perspective I guess......

11. Lol, China is such a shit hole.

12. #12 Heypengyou, May 18, 2012
    They do add adulterants mainly to add weight, yes.

The hash sold in Shanghai is mainly in the kief / kif / keef variety which being very light in the first place can have its weight tripled easily by adding sand / silica quartz. It confuses people into thinking that its really good dense compressed kief hash when in fact its just a bit of kief thrown together with very fine sand and then compressed.

The dealers then try to force you to buy the kiefless plant along with the kief hash which was removed from the plant during the kief hash production. Many people in Shanghai buy just the buds / weed which has had all of its crystals removed! So the dealers want you to essentially buy the same thing twice..

I have no idea whether or not the sand is sprayed onto the plant during resin production or if its being thrown in while they separate the kief from the plant.

I thought that the very tiny grits of sand (50 -10 microns in diameter) were in fact THC crystals. What a fool I was. 3 years of smoking this garbage. I guess that the majority of marijuana smokers in Shanghai are inhaling adulterants such as these and are completely unaware of it. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear it being a world wide phenomenon, especially in underdeveloped areas where cannabis is not mainstream.

13. Most cops dont even know what weed smell like.... but still be careful if you want to smoke. I'm highly doubtful you will get death, but maybe a prison term same as for selling in Australia

14. i've heard of this grit weed before and I hear in the US they may put glass in buds. they do it so that the bud looks like it has more crystals.

15. That sucks man, how many people actually smoke or deal in china? I thought it would be nearly non existent

16. It's hard not to stroll around certain expat areas of Shanghai and not be confronted by a dealer. It's also quite easy to find them hanging around late at night around any bar that expats regularly visit. Hash is readily available. And I guess likely contaminated unfortunately. And hard to tell that it is so...

Its usually a great high. There are tons of trichomes in a typical bag of kief hash. What else is in it? Who knows? Glue. Silica.. I can't believe I didn't do my homework earlier.

I hope that these posts will increase awareness somehow.. Other than this one, there are no warnings posted through a google search.

A simple taste test will do the job. If there's a crunch between you teeth, don't buy it.

17. #17 Storm Crow, May 18, 2012
    Or you can rub it on an old CD.

Cannabis has a LONG history of use in China-
    \t
    Ancient cannabis stash unearthed in China (news - 2008)
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/12/11/ancient.cannabis/index.html?iref=allsearch

And I will spread the word at another site I belong to. I don't know if anyone there is in China, but if I reach even one person who needs this info, it is well worth the (minor) hassle to post it up.

Why don't the rest of you dudes do the same at your other forums?

Granny

18. Holy shit. i have smoked weed with gritty shit in it. i thought it was sand and they did it to make the weed weight more. i didnt know it would fuck up your lungs. fuckin ass hat dealers.

19. #19 Storm Crow, May 18, 2012
    Hon, if they just use sand, it wouldn't be so bad, but some of the stuff that has been reported is scary! And a lot of it may fall under "unmentionables", which I won't talk about.

In the 1970s, our government tried to halt cannabis use by spraying Mexican pot with paraquat. Hippies quickly learned to avoid pot with yellow leaves in it. We called it "Paraquat Yellow" - sort of a play on "Acapulco Gold" :cool:

An effect of paraquat on the lungs of rabbits. Its implications in smoking contaminated marihuana. (full - 1978) An effect of paraquat on the lungs of rabbits. Its implications in smoking contaminated marihuana.

Paraquat goes to pot. (full - 1978) Paraquat goes to pot.

In Europe, LEAD has been used! :eek:

Lead poisoning due to adulterated marijuana in Leipzig. (full - 2008)
    Lead Poisoning Due to Adulterated Marijuana in Leipzig

Smoke Pot, Get Lead Poisoning? (Germany/Europe) (news - 2008)

Smoke Pot, Get Lead Poisoning?
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

And recently, something you wouldn't suspect to be dangerous, talcum powder! The fact is, it REALLY messes up your lungs!

Talcum induced pneumoconiosis following inhalation of adulterated marijuana, a case report. (abst – 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22420484

The theory on "Why talcum powder?":confused_2: The most logical is that someone is using it in kiloed weed to help disguise the odor. The poor fool thought he could smoke it safely by using a waterpipe- he was wrong, water filtration did NOT prevent the damage.

"He admitted consumption of 'cut' marijuana for several years, preferentially by water pipe smoking."

That one line is frightening! He had used the contaminated marijuana for YEARS...that means there has been a LOT of this stuff floating around in his area. He is likely just the first case of many.

There's more in my List here (that first link in my sig), and even more in my 2012 List (see the bottom of my sig).

Be safe!

Granny :wave:

20. What the fuck man it's like some plan from the government to make weed seem bad! Some people die from a 'deadly strain' and the next thing you know, the penalty for smoking cannabis is life in prison. Everyone will become hypnotized to believe that weed's a horrible drug! Oh wait.