US: 3-Year State Trooper Study: Marijuana Has An Odor

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Aug 31, 2011.

1. US: 3-Year State Trooper Study: Marijuana Has An Odor
    Toke of theTown / Steve Elliot / 08,30,2011

A press release from the Alaska State Troopers proudly unveiled the results of a three-year(!) study which, not shockingly, determined that the odor of marijuana may be associated with the presence of marijuana.

Now, stop it. Maybe Alaska State Troopers (AST) don't have much to do; I'm sure their lives could use a little more excitement. And they have all those "federally forfeited illegal drug proceeds" to spend on, well, something.

The troopers used the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) Justice Center to analyze three years' worth of marijuana grows which they busted. The study analyzed 200 marijuana grow searches conducted by Alaska State Troopers covering 2006 to 2008.

Marijuana was found and seized in 197 cases, or, as the troopers helpfully point out, "98.8% of the cases reviewed."

[​IMG]Graphic: Bad Lawyer

Out of the 200 cases reviewed, investigators reported detecting the odor of marijuana in 121 cases, or 60.5 percent.

"Detection of marijuana odors was found to be significantly associated with the discovery of relatively large amounts of marijuana -- that is, quantities of four ounces or more, as well as 25 or more plants," some would-be scholar in charge of writing the press release tells us.

The meticulous report notes that "Detection of marijuana odors was found to be significantly associated with the discovery of relatively large amounts of marijuana -- that is, quantities of four ounces or more, as well as 25 or more plants."

The report actually breaks it down, deciding that the odds of AST discovering four ounces or more of pot were "2.7 times greater than the odds when a search was not preceded by the detection of odor."

"Additionally, the odds of AST discovering 25 or more marijuana plants following the detection of odor were 2.9 times greater than the odds where a search was not preceded by the detection of odor," the report avers.

Well... alrighty then!

All laughter aside, the reason the troopers have gone to all this trouble isn't for our twisted entertainment. It's to shore up their legal position in future court cases where officers claim to have smelled marijuana, as pointed out by Ben Anderson at Alaska Dispatch. (The courts have proven skeptical of some smell claims in the past.)

The study, entitled "The Predictive Validity of Marijuana Odor Detection," analyzed a total of 115(!) variables.

If you are a masochist and want to read the entire 53(!)-page report (and if so, holy crap, you really disgust me, you sick fuck), you can see the damned thing by clicking here [PDF].[​IMG]

2. well of course its about legality, nobody could be stupid enough to go through all that just to determine if weed smells.

3. In other news, the smell of shit coming from a baby's diaper has been confirmed to give a 98% chance of shit actually being in the diaper.

4. I was going to make a witty comment, but you beat me to the punch :hello:

5. wow. maybe they should do a study to see if it gets people high too. id rather have the cops spending their time doing pointless studies on pot, than spending their time busting me with it.....

6. Is that what that smell is?

7. Hey do you know what smells just like weed BODY ODOR general BODY ODOR.

8. LOL what a waste.

I never thought the question was "does marijuana have a smell".

I thought the question was, "did this officer actually smell marijuana, or did it he make it up as justification for the search?"

9. Holy fucking shit, weed smells? My mind is blown. Also, how did they not find weed in 1.2% of weed related busts?

10. Our rights are in the shitter. "i smell marijuana. let me in the house and get on the floor with your hands on your head."

11. That because your dealer rubs your weed in his nuts and armpits and tells you it smells like that because its "dank".

12. lol actually I used to call my ex 'weed-pits' when she be stinky after exercising or something

13. And that is exactly what all this is about, cops are pushing for probable cause to enter a persons home or property without a warrant based on smell alone. I wonder how many thousands of dollars were wasted on this stupid study? :rolleyes:

@Peter Griffin...that was the funniest shit (no pun intended) I've read on GC in a loooong time. :laughing:

14. Thanks man. I try really hard