Mexican Drug Cartel Announces Truce

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Mexican Drug Cartel Announces Truce
    FoxNews / Olga Rodriguez / 1,2,2011

MORELIA, Mexico – A letter purportedly signed by La Familia drug cartel announcing a one-month truce circulated Sunday in the western state of Michoacan. In the one-page message, distributed by e-mail and in some cities door by door, the gang claims it will halt all crime activity during January to demonstrate that the cartel "is not responsible for the criminal acts federal authorities are reporting to the media."

Prosecutors have not verified the letter's authenticity, according to an employee of the Michoacan bureau of the federal Attorney General's Office who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. The government says La Familia has been weakened by a recent string of arrests and deaths of top leaders. In another letter that circulated in November, La Familia purportedly offered to disband.

Last month, gunmen torched vehicles across Michoacan and used them as barricades to block all entrances into the state capital of Morelia after federal police killed alleged La Familia leader Nazario Moreno Gonzalez.

La Familia has occasionally made public pronouncements seeking to convince the public that it is defending Michoacan against other drug gangs. Federal officials, however, say the cartel has terrorized the state with kidnappings, extortion, hundreds of murders, decapitations and drug trafficking. More than 30,000 people have died in drug-related violence nationwide since President Felipe Calderon launched a crackdown on cartels after taking office in December 2006, first deploying hundreds of soldiers and federal police to his home state of Michoacan.

On Sunday, Calderon said in a New Year's broadcast that his administration will continue to fight organized crime. "We all know it is necessary to rid Mexico of crime, impunity and corruption, which had been rooted in our society and our institutions," he said. "I can assure you we are on the right path and we will defeat the criminals, to ultimately build a Mexico of peace."

Earlier Sunday, military and federal agencies responsible for fighting the drug war released a joint statement highlighting what they called "historic achievements." In Calderon's first four years in government, more methamphetamine, automatic rifles and grenades were seized than in the previous eight years, the statement said. It did not say how seizures for cocaine and marijuana, the main sources of income for Mexican drug cartels, compare to previous administrations.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Just what we need. Another rousing victory.
    DrugWarRant / Pete Guither / 1,2,2011

Mexican police claim to have ‘dismembered' La Familia drug gang

Mexico's federal police has claimed a major victory over the ‘La Familia' drug cartel – one of the most bloody gangs operating within the embattled country.

In what could be seen as a turning point in Mexico's violent war against organized drug cartels, Mexican federal police claim to have “completely dismembered” the bloody La Familia narcotics gang, according to the Press Association.

Oh, yes. Another victory. Another turning point. And what will that give us?

Mexican federal police assured the public that La Familia has been broken into smaller pieces – and that these smaller operations are more desperate and prone to making mistakes.

Desperate violent drug traffickers fighting it out in public for control of multi-billion dollar drug smuggling business.
    Gee, what could be better?

Posted by an American Viet Nam Vet living in the region;

ezrydn
    January 2, 2011 at 7:20 am
    La Familia operates fairly close to me. For months, the leaders have been telling the Feds that they wanted to disband, with the stipulation that the Feds provide security for the people of the area.

That additional protection has been put in place, quietly, and there have been no more encounters. So, I can't see where the Feds can say “THEY did it.” No, La Familia did it, jerks! The LF clan wasn't started as a drug cartel but, rather, a protection cartel for their state, since the Feds weren't intervening. La Familia has done exactly what they said they would do.

2. mexico is crazy and probition is pushing america in the same direction.

i kinda think the cartels and atleast some parts of the government are either on the same side, or are the same people...

3. I remember when i went to mexico i watched the news everyday and there was always atleast 8 people getting killed everyday. I gotta admit i was kind of scared even though most of the people getting killed were cartel people.

4. cartels will never die, just like gangs anywhere else in the world will never die..its as simple as that.

5. Do these cartels push dank or mids? I always wondered that. Like do they have "name brand" stuff?

6. yeah its called coke:p

7. dont forget heroin!

8. The Mexican Drug cartels mostly push schwagg and mids. But I read somewhere on here that some Mexican growers are using "American" techniques (really from the Netherlands.) Those growers would have "name brand stuff" but it would probably be lower quality but not necessarily.

9. crazy shit.

10. Well you got the right idea,because the cartels have been hiring
    military and law enforcement personnel for years.

And I'm not talking bribery,I mean the soldiers quit the shitty
    low paying military and take all their training and become assassins
    for the cartels.

Talk about "if you can't beat em,join em" :D

11. The Cartel is a bad thing. This is a good thing. Pot is a good thing.

12. wasn't the main cartel MS-13 a couple of years ago?
    as long as drugs remain illegal they will be extremely profitable on the black market.
    the only way to stop the cartels is to kill them with the free markets. legalize everything, or the U.S. will turn into Mexico

13. It is why I grow my own,and I don't buy or sell marijuana. I refuse to support the killing or harming of anyone to provide marijuana for me.
    And most people that go to dealers,unless they helped grow and pick the weed,don't know for sure whether they are purchasing cartel weed or local grown. Hell,if their dealer told them it was grown by NASA on the moon,they would believe him,as long as it was good.

14. lol true that.

The Cartel needs to go, they give pot a bad name.

15. I'm pretty sure they push everything you can think of.... Schwag, mids, dank, coke, heroin, people... you name it.

16. Time for a comeback lmao

17. Exactly. Anything that they can make some money off of, they sell.

18. op, why are you angry about this? i'm not a huge drug war fan but this seems fine to me.

19. It takes a lot of money, time and risk to grow chronic in large volumes. There's a reason you hear phrases like 'mexican dirt weed' and the like; I have yet to receive chronic from anyone with a supply connection from Mexicans. Schwag and mids yes, but very rarely dank. If you're looking for coke, then it's much more likely.

Money to fund said large-scale chronic grow ops however, is an entirely different matter.

20. Word

and I Love the sig btw