The "Next Ron Paul" Gary Johnson for President.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Eric_Fortis, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Here's the full story here: ‘Next Ron Paul’ Bids for Libertarian Support « The Washington Independent

"[He] rolled out the new three-point economic plan of his Our America organization: deep spending cuts (including cuts to entitlement programs), a flat tax, and less federal regulation of business and immigration."

"And on paper, Johnson is a more spotlight-ready libertarian hero than Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.), famous more for his personal lobbying for marijuana legalization (it's one of Our America's agenda items) than for a return to the gold standard."

"Johnson knocked some questions out of the park, arguing that he'd helped change the way voters in New Mexico thought about marijuana after he controversially came out for legalizing and taxing the drug. 'When I announced that, my approval rating fell from 58 percent to 28 percent,' he said. 'I went all over the state explaining my position. When I left office, my approval rating was 58 percent.'"

"He told reporters that he supported the repeal of “Don't Ask, Don't Tell” and supported “gay unions,” but not gay marriage"

What do you think?

2. IDK, it sound's like he's trying to hard to appeal to the masses. I actually like Ron Paul for his fundamental beliefs and not what he promises in office.

3. Yep...he so stands a chance when he calls for cutting entitlement. Don't get me wrong I don't like entitlement anymore than anyone else but this is the bread and butter. You're going to lower peoples SS and medicare when they have paid in to it their whole lives? Then what? Tax the shit out of weed and make money? Sounds like a real winner.

Fact is Ron Paul didn't stand a chance in hell and neither does this guy. Even if he did win the house ALWAYS wins. And do you truly believe that if elected Ron Paul really would have changed a god damn thing? Hell no. This is the Washington we have until the people of this country tire of the status quo man. Either way Ron Paul is such a fucking tool he won't even leave the Republican't party. All I am getting at here is take everything with a grain of salt.

As much as I wish an everyman could win, he won't. Corporate interests, government interests, and private interests will keep drugs illegal for a very long time. Another thing, less regulation of immigration? Awesome lets make it easier for our country to soon resemble a third world country. Sounds like a plan. And he doesn't support gay marriage? How f'in libertarian can you be but be against two people of the same sex getting married? Ridiculous.

The libertarian goal is a worthy one, but far too lofty at this point for this country. It just would not work.

4. not suprised coming from someone from MN

5. Why jump on the NEXT Ron Paul's bandwagon when Ron Paul is still alive and well? He has stated that he's open to running again if he sees enough support from the people, although he will not run if the support isn't there. That's about as reasonable as you can be.

To the above clown who called RP a tool: There is a huge difference between a true republican and most people who are in the republican party. Ron Paul is a TRUE republican, so why would he run as anything else?

Admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing him jump to the Libertarian party, but his best chance is to stick with the Republicans and stay true to their original cause.

6. To the dumbfuck who said Ron Paul is a tool....

You obviously don't know shit. Like the guy above me said, RP is a TRUE republican. Don't get me wrong, I am not for the GOP's cause, but RP is, all the way. I have been a registered democrat for the past 9 years but as of now, I am not. I thought the Dems represented the people's rights and personal freedom but Obama isn't representing that political model and its totally fucked up since he's very liberal. I am left all the way on social issues but all the way to the right on economic issues. This country is fed up with the big political parties and big spending budgets. Right now, the Libertarian has the best chance as anyone right now. The only problem, however, is that they don't have the big donations like Obama and McCain had so they can't make the advertisements on TV like usual. RP is rich as hell, and is very smart.

I am very interested in Gary Johnson, and would like to see more about him. I don't agree with the legalization of meth, coke, and heroin, but personal responsibility is key. My opinion is whoever wins in 2012, they better be a supporter of mmj of they won't stand a chance with heavily populated states like Cali, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington having enacted laws and more populated states like Florida and New York trying to do make medical laws.