150W HPS Stealth Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shidada, Mar 30, 2010.

1. #1 shidada, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  2. nice closet setup. Did you make that yourself?

3. #3 shidada, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010

Yeah I built it out of MDF board. Its dimensions are 2'x2'x6'.

The lower fan I am using for the outtake. 4" inline duct fan. I originally planned on a 400W MH/HPS for the box, but thought it would be overkill. When I built it, the upper section was going to be closed off for the lamp with a glass panel separating the lamp from the grow area, and it would have its own intake and outtake fans, but with a 150W, heat wouldn't be an issue so I scrapped that idea.

This lower section is for seedlings and cuttings. May use the CFLs during flower as well while I don't have any seedlings at the moment.

[​IMG]

Seedlings in jiffy pots
    [​IMG]

Plant A-1 week old
    [​IMG]

Plant B-1 week old
    [​IMG]

4. #4 shidada, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
    Anyone think this is a good/bad idea? When they get a lot bigger, I was thinking of hanging (4) 26W CFLs over the plant like this. Is hanging over the lamp a bad idea? fire hazard? the part where the cord touches does not get hot. It only gets hot underneath on the bottom of the HPS lamp. (The bulb on the lamp is on the left half of the lamp, so the cord could not be in the way of the light coming down.) Would it even make that much of a difference or is it not even worth putting them in?

[​IMG]

5. Any advice?

6. maybe just finish caulking the seems of the box. for better protection with light and smell.

But besides that it is a kick ass box!. looks very well crafted, and looks like you did your hw before you built this.

Evil :smoke: + rep

7. Here's a recent pic of plant A
    [​IMG]

8. Hey shidada, im a noob so bare with me. I'm building my box similar to yours. You started your first grow with one plant and now youve got two. Do you think it will be overkill? meaning do you think they will choke each other. your first grow, the plant looked pretty big? and it appears you have two sections in that box is that correct? sorry if its a stupid question.

9. I put two in this time to see how it will turn out. The seeds are not feminized, so having two this time will increase the chances of having a female. The right plant(plant B) is not getting as much light as the one on the left, so i have to rotate the lamp every few days, until I hook up the CFLs in the box. Im also using LST and FIM methods to keep plants low and increase light penetration to the leaves. If both turn out female, and it is overkill like you said, ill just pick the best one of the two to keep, and either yank the other one, or maybe just transplant it outside. And yes, the pots sit up about 16 inches above the base of the box. The lower section is for seedlings to sprout while the harvest dries above, and once the harvest is done drying, ill move the seedlings up the the main area. If i want the plants to be bigger, I may take the board the pots are sitting on out, so the plants will have an extra foot to grow. And if you need help building a box, I built mine from the idea of stratlogic at Grow Box Construction - 420 Magazine

10. Really appreciate the response big homie. I actually found that link about a week ago, then I found your posts here. My box is similar to yours and strat's due to the link. I thought it would be a good setup. Keep me posted. I will be following.

11. Shidada, is heat an issue with your box? any tips on fans placement? would you mind taking a pic with your fan (intake and outake)? i appreciate all the help. nice work so far...

12. about OPs question whether or not to hang the lights...

when the plants do get bigger, you should somehow place them under the canopy to give the lower buds some light. Whether this means to hang them extra low (which just seems like a bad idea to have lights supported by their own power cord dangling), or put sockets on the sides....I don't know.

13. well instead of hanging the cord with cfl's over the HPS lamp, I drilled a hook into the top of the box, so they cord w cfls are hanging from there. There are only 2 cfls attached at the moment, and they dont seem heavy enough to detatch from the power cord. I may put some electrical tape around the plug where its hanging from.