Purple Buds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by meditate, Jul 4, 2009.

1. I have been curious over the years about what exactly makes the buds purple

I'm not looking for an answer concering nutrients because I know about certain deficiencies produce purple stems and what not.

I'm talking about 100 percent real purple strains. Isn't the chlorophyl what gives the plant it's green color? or would it have to do with genetics of the cell wall? Annny idea's on this? Or is it just completly absurd to ask?

2. well if you use gene splicing(or genetically engineered),you can make your bud growing the dark.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. i know one thing that makes buds purple is the tempriture it should be around 70 78 colder temps will give u denser buds too but if u want fluffy bud then higher temp but i dnt think u can have fluffy purple bud

4. Growing the dark?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Also, I don't see many growers that go so advanced in to genetically engineering plants. Unless it's some top-secret government organization producing the future generations of buds. But then again, I could be wrong. ;]

5. Seems anthocyanin is to blame

From http://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany3.html
    "d) Color - The perception and interpretation of color in Cannabis floral clusters is heavily influenced by the imagination of the cultivator or breeder. A gold strain does not appear metallic any more than a red strain resembles a fire engine. Cannabis floral clusters are basically green, but changes may take place later in the season which alter the color to include various shades. The intense green of chlorophyll usually masks the color of accessory pigments, Chlorophyll tends to break down late in the season and anthocyanin pigments also contained in the tissues are unmasked and allowed to show through. Purple, resulting from anthocyanin accumulation, is the most common color in living Cannabis, other than green. This color modification is usually triggered by seasonal change, much as the leaves of many deciduous trees change color in the fall. This does not mean, however, that expression of color is controlled by environment alone and is not an inheritable trait. For purple color to develop upon maturation, a strain must have the genetically controlled metabolic potential to pro duce anthocyanin pigments coupled with a responsiveness to environmental change such that anthocyanin pigments are unmasked and become visible. This also means that a strain could have the genes for expression of purple color but the color might never be expressed if the environmental conditions did not trigger anthocyanin pigmentation or chlorophyll breakdown. Colombian and Hindu Kush strains often develop purple coloration year after year when subjected to low night temperatures during maturation. Color changes will be discussed in more detail in Chapter IV-Maturation and Harvesting of Cannabis.

Carotenoid pigments are largely responsible for the yellow, orange, red, and brown colors of Cannabis. They also begin to show in the leaves and calyxes of certain strains as the masking green chlorophyll color fades upon maturation. Gold strains are those which tend to reveal underlying yellow and orange pigments as they mature. Red strains are usually closer to reddish brown in color, although certain carotenoid and anthocyanin pigments are nearly red and localized streaks of these colors occasionally appear in the petioles of very old floral clusters. Red color in pressed, imported tops is often a result of masses of reddish brown dried pistils."

6. Thank you very much for this information!

This went into detail that I didn't expect. I really appreciate all of this information.

7. EXCELLENT POST! +rep!

8. you sure can. I have been fortunate even to smoke some first-hand