aquaponics

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by geneticengineer, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok here i am. i do aquaponics and i started some threads on here about various things including "aquaponic cannabis".

it would be ideal if there could be a dedicated section on aquaponics as it is very different from hydro or organic soil growing.

aquaponics uses live aquaculture to provide nutrients to the plants without the need for chemicals and hence it is organic. it is sustainable and provides a flavor which is unmatched. once these systems are set up they run for years and all you do is add fish food and water.

you can reach me for questions/comments @ goonu@hotmail.com

so i ask again, please start a section for aquaponics i would be happy to provide a sticky or anything that can assist the newcomer in achieving their goals with this technology.

E

ps. here is a video i made awhile back while still a novice:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3gQ_OXREo8]YouTube - Aquaponic Cannabis[/ame]

2. I would be extremely interested in a section based on aquaponics, I think this is a great idea and has a lot of potential for free fertilizer/food from your food scraps and a lot of your time. This website includes the addition of algae. Although that would increase the BOD meaning more air needed to oxygenate the water, would the benefits outweigh the energy required? Or is that part of your system? Because some of your tanks looked like aquariums

BIOPONICA - Filed under 'algae'

3. i now make my systems from scratch using fiberglass. i make plywood boxes then layer them with epoxy and fiberglass, making them sealed and leach-proof.

algae isnt really a problem for me. the benefits will still outweigh the benefits.

i provide overkill aeration with the employment of venturi aeration units. you can see another video i made which features my aeration technologies right here:

be sure to watch in 480 resolution youtube wont let me specify resolution in the link anymore
    so you have to click on 480 where it says 360.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo75ybT6_Hc&feature=related]YouTube - DIY VENTURI[/ame]

heres a video i made that features some out of the box ideas i used:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9cqRUHBgOw&w=480&h=320]YouTube - Hydroponic Improvisation[/ame]

-E

4. Hows the aquaponics coming along?

5. Good luck on getting a section added dude.

I've been pushing for a Hempy Bucket section and an auto-flower sub-forum for little while now. The mods will just do a search and if there's not enough threads based on the topic, then it's a no-go. That's what they did to me anyways.

I even stated that there's not enough discussion on the topic of hempy buckets because not enough members know about it because there IS NO SECTION ON IT! I mean COME ON! We have an aeroponics section which is WAY more difficult than a hempy bucket, and hempy buckets are newb friendly.

I can't speak on aquaponics that much as I don't really know a whole lot about it. But a section dedicated to it could be helpful.

Anyways, good luck on proposal. I support this, because I support improvement.

6. Several of us here practice aquaponics, myself included.. I've done larger and very small scale, for instance the "3oz Cup Competition" here at GC a few months back, I used aquaponics for a micro grow and yielded the most plant matter, over tripling the next closest competitors :)

[​IMG]

Proud parents, relaxing under a root system:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This plant was only about 2 weeks from germination here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very easy and fun, but most importantly, you MUST put the animals needs above the cannabis.
    If you do, healthy, perfect plant growth will follow and go hand-in-hand, but no matter what, you need to make sure your living critters are healthy and happy, otherwise, people have a habit of seeing it as a form of animal abuse for personal gain :(

I've experienced this in several forums, even while taking greater care with my animals than most do in simple home aquariums (my aquaponic fish always breed even faster and more readily, than even my standard planted aquariums), and I was met with a lot of negativity for practicing aquaponics, before I found acceptance here at GC.

7. I've seen these grows before. I always thought the fish was a personal touch. I didn't know that they were responsible for the growth.

What kind of fish are typically used?

8. That was one grow for the 3oz competition, and yes the fish provided the plants their nutrition, we were only allowed one clone and one seed entry so the larger tub (with the breeding guppies) contained the plants I decided not to use for the comp.

That was a micro grow however, and for the comfort of the fish, the plants were withstanding higher root-zone temperatures than those normally acceptable. For that particular series, to keep it small, I was using juvenile platies, guppies, algae eaters, and betta.

More typically you'd want to use kinds of gold fish, or Koi, larger species that can withstand lower temps, and produce larger volumes of waste per-inch than other, more tropical species. This can allow you to use 100+gallon tubs for growing, putting literal meaning to the term 'trees' when applied to indoor cannabis.

9. This is something I would totally be into, had I not discovered the hempy bucket.

If I had the duckets, I would be at the pet store right now. But hempy buckets are pretty much free to grow with and reusable.

10. With aquaponics, all you need is a large tupperware crate, air pump, baskets, and a little fish food :)

From then on out, if you keep your fish healthy so they breed readily and if you don't break something, for the rest of your growing-life, their inexpensive fish food is all you'll ever need to replace. No nutrient, no huge amounts of run-off; just add clean water and fish food as needed :)

11. Ok, I understand the fish care part. But how do you start your plants above the fish tank?

Lid with net pots and rockwool?

Also, what about PH? Do you just keep the PH to what is good for the fish?

12. Folks, that discussion is probably best somewhere else, instead of in this thread. ;)

As for the time frame for getting something done. You have to realize that GC time works way different than real time. First, you have to come to a staff decision (waiting for everybody to get online and give their opinion, which may take a week or more. Everybody has their own lives.), then you to wait for the one person that is able to implement it to actually have the time to do it. This (as you are finding out) can take days, weeks, months, years. :(

13. Here comes the wolves.

14. LMAO at a post. :laughing: Yeah, it very well may happen. SJ and I are finishing up some plans for some changes, additions and deletions.

But yeah, most of us do have real lives. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.