PC guys, should I upgrade my Gaming PC?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by the_tobzster, Nov 19, 2013.

1. #1 the_tobzster, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    I only got my gaming PC 7 or so months ago and I feel like I want to upgrade it. I don't really need to at all, I can run BF4 comfortably at medium/high settings with a steady 45fps but I want to get the best performance possible, especially with new games coming out.

AMD FX4100 (OC'd 4.0GHz)
    Radeon HD7770 1GB
    16GB RAM
    400 Watt PSU
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

I know for sure it's my graphics card that is letting me down here, was thinking about getting this card as an upgrade. Any other suggestions of what I should do. I don't really want to spend TOO much either, that card is really pushing my budget haha

Thanks guys for any feedback  :bongin:

2. What resolution are you running? You should see a good gain in fps with the upgrade. Otherwise you really don't need to upgrade anything else with the specs you gave.

3. Maybe look into putting another hd7770 in there if your mobo supports it. What kind of wattage do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Somehow I am running on 1920 x 1080, I think is quite impressive for the GPU, especially since it only has 1gb video ram.

Yeah I did think about that, I THINK I have a 600 Watt, but not entirely sure haha

5. I also have an HD7770 on mine. I plan on upgrading as well. I don't know how much of an upgrade you are thinking you need. Are you running multiple monitors? Is there a reason you think you would need 3GB of VRAM? 

Well to be honest with you probably not haha :L But I thought if I am gonna spend money to upgrade, I might as make it a worthwhile upgrade and not just 'slightly' better, yeah?

7. Yeah...maybe you could just double up your gpu? 

I have a 7870 which is currently more than enough for me but I think when it begins to struggle I may just throw another one in alongside it. 

You may be able to pick up another one of the same model for fairly cheap now - i'd have a browse n see what kinda gains people are getting when going that route with your card. 

Your processor and RAM are fine and Windows 7 is still the best version of Windows around. 

• Like Like x 1
    Well, what's your budget for a new graphics card? I just have a hard time understanding why people go crazy over 6GB Vram let alone 3GB Vram on a card. As others have stated your rig is solid. You wont need to upgrade for a long time after this GPU upgrade. Do you know how much of your 600 watt PSU is being used as of now? If you want to double up on your HD 7770 you might need to upgrade your PSU, but possibly not. Depends on how much power you are using now. What is your motherboard? 

Yeah I am definitely considering that, it is much cheaper to do so. I realise now that I actually have a better version of the 7770 than I thought haha... turns out it's this one, XFX Core Edition HD 7770... Only going for £75 (~$120)!

Yeah I definitely agree with you guys now, like I said to mr man fan, my graphics card is actually better than I thought, it's this one, XFX Core Edition HD 7770. Will have to check my PSU for how much power, since I am knew to computing I am guessing I will have to open up the computer to see what is written on it for the power? I think my motherboard is by Gigabyte, and the model is 78LMT-USB3. Will check back and let you know on the PSU power, etc. Thanks for the responses man!

11. Ahh...nice! 75 quid is do able and should see a nice performance increase. When games start to lag a bit for me i'm just gonna throw another 7870 in my machine. Hopefully they'll be down to a reasonable price then , too. 

Yeah I know I can't believe it's so cheap, two 7870's would be beast. Only problem for me is I realise that I have totally crappy budget PSU only running a max 400 Watts. Guessing I will need a fair bit more than that if I am operating two cards? Also I don't really understand, took a look at my motherboard and there only seems to be one slot available for a graphics card, how would that work then? Haha sorry if these are some totally newby questions. 

13. Hmm, regarding the only one slot on the mobo...that could be an issue, man. Mine has two (I made sure so when buying for future upgrades etc.) I think you need two slots for two cards, basically. 

On the PSU  ; yeah, 400 watts probably isn't enough juice either. They're not massively expensive though. But when buying one check reviews first - a bad PSU could fail and thus fuck up a lot of your components (not just PSU.) 

Maybe, if you're stuck on upgrading, you'll just need to get one powerful card. It'd be a good idea to make it as good as possible too, to make it really worthwhile..maybe if it's not so bad now just save up so you can afford a really good one when you really need it. 

• Like Like x 1
  14. I would wait on an upgrade and buy a nice mouse or keyboard or something along those lines

Sent from my Event using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Your motherboard doesn't support crossfire/SLI so you are stuck with only 1 graphics card. I am really surprised you are able to run your rig with a graphics card on such low power PSU. Really cutting it close with PSU efficiency there. I would upgrade to at least a 550 Watt. Depends on what all is being used in your rig. Be sure you choose a quality PSU, do not cut corners for this. Antec, XFX, Corsair are very good brands. 

• Like Like x 1
    Shit that really interests me since I did even think to include the psu in my specs interms of things to upgrade. Do you think if I got a new stronger PSU that performance may increase? Or should I just by that as well as another graphics card, do you think?

17. You should buy a more powerful PSU because it's necessary to fully powering any graphics card upgrade. Your PSU won't affect actual performance of your computer, it just powers your components. Your probably just getting by with that PSU.

18. The answer is always yes.

Get a better psu (600+ watt) and save up the dough for a 7950 or 280x...

If you really want the best bang for your buck, wait for a promo code on newegg and get an R9 290 with battlefield 4 for $380.

Then sell your current card and the battlefield code and you'll have gotten a card that rivals the 780 for $300.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

19. Just saw you have a 4100... That will bottleneck you if you do a big graphics card update, so you'd have to get a new cpu eventually too.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

• Like Like x 1