How much does marijuana really lower testosterone?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by grizzlybearman, Aug 17, 2011.

1. I've been moving into a bulking phase at the gym, and a lot of the pretty serious guys who have been doing it for years tell me weed is holding me back.

They stress the fact that it lowers testosterone, and in my case motivation also, and claim it can lead to a nice pair of bitch tits.

Anyone have any opinions on this matter? I smoke every night, and I'm thinking I should cut back if it's that serious. :confused:

2. These guys don't know shit. Weed doesn't lower testosterone levels, can you think of a reason it would? As for bitch tits, do you see any other stoners walkin around with tits? Well I mean except the fat ones who already do lol.

The way I see it, smoking weed will help you eat more, which will help you bulk up. So don't listen to those guys.

3. Man I smoke every day before I go to the gym, just a 1 hitter. Helps me focus a ton more, add that with some pre-workout and you'll be good to go

4. Interesting

5. Ehhhh I'm calling bullshit!! If anything my gains have actually increased since I started taking my one hitter to the gym with me. Really seems to help with the soreness and discomfort of working out...

6. I usually smoke during R&R after my workouts, but I ran on the treadmill for some cardio the other day zoning out to music and I was able to run for much longer because I could focus easier.

7. Marijuana creates spikes in estrogen in anybody who uses it

As for lowering testosterone no

8. It does lower your testosterone (to unnoticeable levels, so it doesn't really matter), but your body quickly becomes immune to those effects... as in it will never have any real influence on your hormones.

And even if it does, professional athletes smoke pot... if they can get to where they got then so can anyone else.

Show me the study that proved that consumption of marijuana produces estrogen in the human body.

9. Remember that this was done back in the 90s when they were looking for anything to bash cannabis about, but somehow this little gem sneaked out! :D

Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin and cortisol in men and women. (abst - 1991) Effects of chronic marijuana use on testosterone, ... [Drug Alcohol Depend. 1991] - PubMed result

To investigate possible effects of chronic marijuana use on reproductive and stress hormones, we assayed testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, prolactin, and cortisol in 93 men and 56 women with a mean (+/- S.E.) age of 23.5 +/- 0.4 years. Hormone values were compared among groups of subjects stratified according to frequency of marijuana use (frequent, moderate and infrequent; N = 27, 18, and 30, respectively) and non-using controls (N = 74). Chronic marijuana use showed no significant effect on hormone concentrations in either men or women.

And then there is the "man-boobs" myth which would be caused by a drop in testosterone- the US Army had something to say about that WAY back in the 70s! The title says enough! ;)

Gynecomastia and cannabis smoking: A nonassociation among US Army soldiers
    (abst - 1977) Gynecomastia and cannabis smoking. A nonassociatio... [Am J Surg. 1977] - PubMed result

So dudes, I think I'd take the US Army's word on that subject- they had a LOT of soldiers back in the 70s!

And of course there is good old Arnold! Just how many times have you seen that picture of him toking? Didn't seem to do him much harm! He was hardly a "girly-man"! lol (FYI - Arnie and I share a birthday!- July 30, 1947)

Granny :wave:

10. Storm is right with the study, but everybody is different, everyones brain is wired differently so if it does lower it for some it may not for others.

But obv it didn't affect Arnold cause he was on drinking dianobol smoothies

11. Bro you're coming to a website dedicated to marijuana off course they're all gonna tell you " GUYS AT THE GYM DON'T KNOW SHIT" even though those guys are benching 4 plates on each side. You already know the answer to this question though man. I smoke almost everyday so you know I'm not just making shit up but weed does fuck with you. It strips your body of essential minerals and fucks with your sleep cycle,off course there are more negatives like lungs and shit but those 2 things alone (sleep,minerals) are enough to set off a chain reaction that will hurt you in the long run. You already know this though. Hope this helped, peace !

12. I would love to read studies that it strips your body of minerals

13. #14 qcstoner, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2016

14. Trolololol

Terrible first post.

15. Isn't there a pic of Shwartzeneger smoking pot, back when he was huge? If he could win Mr Universe, I think you're ok to smoke & workout too

16. Arnold used to smoke weed all the time post workout. He said it helped with appetite etc. and he was huge. But he was also Arnold.

I wouldn't sweat it. Those guys at the gym are exaggerating quite a bit, but if your smoking weed all the time every day, I could see how it could maybe affect your gains. Unless your training for a competition or something of that nature, it shouldn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. It is believed to lower testosterone because study's have shown that heavy use of marijuana reduces your sperm count. This was actually tested in the movie 'super high me'(documentary) check it out, a lot of tests performed by a true stoner who stops smoking for one month takes a series of tests and the smokes heavily for a month like he usually does then takes the series of tests again.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Marijuana doesn't lower testosterone. When I lift and smoke is when I make my most gains.

19. You need to watch the movie again because I remember the sperm count didn't make any change whether you smoke heavy or not. I need to find that movie so I can watch it again lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum