Easy light trap for cpu fan

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by ShralpMode, Feb 4, 2010.

1. #1 ShralpMode, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
    Recently my friend asked if i could make him something stealth to grow in..so i was showing him some different options and he decided with a pc case....

I got everything done, except for the fan. And since the power supply has a fan in it i just decided to go with that one.

[​IMG]
    First take out all of the wires and junk in there (Besides the cpu fan/wire;))

Second, get some black foam board from wal mart for 3 bucks.

You need a hot glue gun for this part.
    If your using a cpu power supply you're gonna need to put up a wall so light doesnt come in from the big hole that the wires go through.

[​IMG]

Now get some aluminum foil tape and stick it on the edges so no light gets in.
    [​IMG]
    Now we get to put up some walls.

[​IMG]
    Make sure they overlap, also i know i only have two in there but you guys are gonna want to put in 3 - 4
    [​IMG]

Make sure you put the aluminum foil tape in the cracks so none of the light gets in. Also on the inside you're going to want to put in some electrical tape over the aluminum tape so it doesnt reflect past your walls and just defeat the purpose of this light trap.

And if anyone wanted to see it, this is the pc case........
    [​IMG]
    Oh and sorry about the stupid watermark in all the photos...too lazy to edit them out:D
    Good luck to you all and have a nice day:smoking::wave:

2. yo if i flick that res switch on my power suply and it makes a fat ass spark, is it broken or can i flick it back and itll be cool

3. i love the idea of this bro its really sweet i have a few broken hard drives laying around so im gonna try it out but one thing im not sure is how does the fan still run?? and are ur lights running of the same power source as the fan?? please get bak to me on this one as i have received a huge shipment of seeds and no possible way of me growing in a cupboard so this is the only solution :/

4. Nice set up shralp, how much watts are the cfls?

hi, i have a similar setup in my grow box. made it out of a big old pc tower, i have two fans one to bring in fresh air and one exhaust... they are both connected to a old charger which happens to be 9v.

what you do is you cut the wire of the charger, reveal the two metal wires and connect the two wires from the fan to the charger if nothing happens switch the two wires around and that should do it its a 50% chance u get it right first time unless u kno which is negative and positive.o

5. are those cfls sideways?

6. Good idea! thanks! i will use this for my first pc grow.

7. cfl are best used on there sides because they distribute little enegry through the tops so hanging cfls upside down for a grow is a bad idea :)

8. Sorry for not responding, i havent been on the site for a while.

The lights are on a power strip, and yes the fan works but it doesnt run through the power supply.