?'s about a Phosphorous def.

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by masterlights, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I heard all deficiencies start from the bottom up but on my one or two spoetnik ladies i have purpling of the fan leaf stems seem like starting from the top of the plant.the middle and lower fan leaves are still green.

I read that the purpling of the stems is a phosphorous def so i was just wondering..

Im growing in coco and using the technaflora lineup and since i feed everyday i only add about 1 tsp tops of the boost/bloom.when i mix the pots i add 1tbsp/gal of coco of flowering guano and since ive noticed the purpling i sprinkiled a tbsp ontop of each pot so they can get a nice phosphorous feed this week.

i also read that phos. can get locked out with ph 6.0 and above which i was kinda dialing in around 6.1 or above usually so now im lowering the ph to the high 5's to hopefully make the plant intake more phosph.

any input???

2. Could just be genetic. Purple stems are not a definite indicator of a deficiency. Be careful adding nutes to your mix based on that indicator alone.

3. are the nutes you're using coco specific? are you in veg or flower? in coco optimal ph is 5.8. purpling stems could just be a pheno of the strain you're growing. any problems with the leaves?

4. what r ur temps low temps cause purpling too.

5. My nutes are def coco compatibale.its the technaflora lineup and the supplements i add are superthrive,sugar daddy,protek silicone,and cal mag.i have a couple of the girls in flower that are showing signs and it usually happenes during week 3 or 4.their at week 4 now.the leaves look fine..just a slight burn on the fan leaf tips but very slight..

the temps are fine at night,doesnt go below 65

i didnt know phosphorous got locked out at 6.0 and up unitl this week i keep it at the 5.5 to 5.9 range where ass i used to keep it low 6's

6. week 3 or 4 of flower or veg?

7. lay off the calmag and use epsom salts ur cal is probably maxed out.

8. yea i ll have to get some epsom salt.does mj primarilly use more magnesium than calcium when going through flower??

i already cut down the cal mag to .5 to 1 tsp per gal and so far so good.obviously the purpling wont disapear but so far the ladies are blooming nicely now that ive lowered the ph to uptake phosphous and lowered the cal mag.

9. exactly!

10. don't mean to be a nit-picker, but are they specifically for coco or as you say, compatible? there is a difference. if not "specifically" made for coco, then you'll need a fix. a tbsp. of epsom salt, in a gallon of properly ph'd plain water, once a week will do 'er. ;)

11. well its the technaflora lineup and it says hydroponic nutrients on the bottles.i didnt know they made coco specific nutes???

anywho adding some epsom isnt a prob do you suggest cutting out the majical halfway through flower then just use epsom for the magnesium the rest of flower???

12. yeah, several companies make coco nutes. your nutes prob. have a small amount of mag in them. just give them an extra shot of it weekly and you should be fine.

13. #14 Totara, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011

And nitrogen, don't forget cal/mag has alot of nitrogen which during flowering may only further aggravate lockout issues

14. yea ive noticed the past couple grows 3-4 weeks into flower most of my ladies have dark green fan leaves which is prolly from nitrogen toxiciy from adding to much cal mag.i looked on the technaflora lineup and there is mag in their nutes.i just have to lay of the cal mag and bc boost right now bc theres too much nitrogen in the medium.