Mycorrhizae and liquid nutes feeding issue

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by NugNation, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hi all, id like to add mycorrhizae to my coco/perlite feeding schedule. im starting my germed seeds in 3 gallon smart pots. ive decided to use mycorrhizae to aid my roots since they will have plenty of room to struggle with establishing a good root system. ive read that the syn nutes liek fox farm, can kill the bacteria in the mycorrhizae. if i can get some feed back asap on this issue that be great because i need to order a few more things to get my op established hoping to be popping seeds next week! thanks!

2. well idk I've never heard that but doesn't mean its not true. i do know that hydrogen peroxide kills it. my suggestion is don't go synthetic go ith something like botanicare. and if ur worried about it killing it don't add it until ur ph and ready to pour. it shouldn't change ph and you'll gie the mycos a better chance.

3. I read the same thing, salts from the synthetics will build up and kill the fungi and bacteria. Switch to organic nutes and you'll be fine. Humboldt and Advanced nutrients are good, I also use Earth Juice products.

4. i dont plan on using nutes the first week anyway so ill just feed with the myko. this might give the roots a chance to thrive before i add my FF grow big incase the FF decides to kill the bacteria right?

5. Grow Big is organic if I'm not mistaken, so you might be good to go there. Tiger Bloom might be a different story, as its not truly organic. I'm definitely interested, keep us posted.

6. I thought the mycorrhizae need somethin to feed on? So since coco and perlite have no nutes then the bacteria won't grow. I think I remember reading somewhere that you can brew water with mycos and somethin like humboldt organic honey es for a couple of days and then drench your soil with that.

7. I suggest going all the way organic if you're going to do it. There are many systems on the market that will work. Some other systems that are hydro/organic but still OMRI certified should be completely compatible as well.

Coco is a fantastic medium to inoculate with organics due to the spongy shape and texture of the fibers. I have been using Humboldt Nutrients Myco's for a while now with great results. Don't kill them off, and make sure to re-use that coco. Roots in reused coco EXPLODIFICATE!

8. reuse the coco ? I've never had roots EXPLODIFICATE in a used batch of coco. regardless of whether its rinsed or not.

9. For my past 2 batches I have been reusing my coco. Now coco isn't suppose to hold on to nutes well but my babies don't seem to like it. After a harvest I will take about 1/3 coco from each 1 gal pot. I avoid taking coco that is attached to the main root mass. Next I transplant my babies that are about 3-4 inches in hight into the 1 gal containers, and start to veg them on a 18/6 light cycle. I've notice that they do not stretch as well during veg as they did before. Stalk diameter is significantly smaller and the lower half's foliage shows signs of nute burn. The leaves spot up in almost a polkadot pattern, and leaves start to die from the tip then on back. Once I get them into flowering though they are invigorated with new lush growth at the top half.

I think this MIGHT be due to the flowering nutes and salt build up that are still somewhat incorporated in the coco. I'm really not sure because I do flush for the last week. Here is how I flush.

I completely empty and refill my reservoir with tap water, lower the ph to 6, and also add FloraKleen. My system feeds 2 times a day. Once at 6am when the lights come on and at 1pm. I do this for 2 days, which is for 4 feedings. Then I completely empty and refill the reservoir with tap water and lower ph. I flush with ph water only for 3-4 days. After that I will stop any type of watering for 1-2 days ( plants are still under lights). Last I'll give them 24hrs of complete darkness and harvest.

Wait till I get a camera. I could visually show it better, but by then the issue might already be resolved.

10. Coconuts contain high levels of cytokinins which are growth regulating hormones found in many plants and fungi. As the coco breaks down greater amounts of cytokinins will be available to the root system. It is this process that I believe has been a driving force for the production of some fantastic root growth.

My SmartPots have roots shooting out of them from top to bottom which I'd never seen with first time coco. I like to use a mixture of fresh and old with each batch. Works fine.

11. Here's a picture or two to show you what I'm talking about. I have been seeing this since recycling my coco mixing it in with fresh Roots Organics coco mix. I also use Seaweed extract.

Attached Files:

12. that looks just like my smart pots in fresh coco.

bebop you need to rinse your coco and recharge before reuse. at the moment I can't remember which 1 it is but coco has a lot of p or k can't remember. that in flowering levels get really high thats why coco specific nutes have less of which ever 1 it is. as the coco releases the nute it is replaced with cal making cal hard to uptake. if you must reuse coco its a must that it is rinsed and I would charge with cal mag and grow at 1/2 strength.

13. so you believe in pre charging your coco? im starting from germed seed and im noid to burn/stunt my seedling, which would be costly to a autoflower. anyone else pre charge coco for sprouting seeds?

14. #14 BeBopS7EVIN, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    I use GH's flora nova grow (synthetic) with Companion's bacillus all through veg. Then after the second week of flower I use the subculture-M mycorrhizal with flora bloom (synthetic) and my roots go crazy. Of course its also because they are in 1 gal pots. But I have not had any issues with synthetic with mycorrhizae. You will be in 3 gal smart pots so I wouldn't worry about using synthetic with that microbe. I probly advise against nutes during seedling,but beneficial bacterium and ph water is safe. Adding nutes (whether synthetic or organic) with bacterium is ok for vegetative growth. You will also be safe with using subculture B, but get it in liquid form. It will mix better. Just don't mix it with sub M until flower.

Mybe try and set one aside and use sub M on it, and one with both.

Or just go with organics and sub M :D. Organics bring aroma's out better.

And!!!! What type of system are you planning anyways? Ebb&flow, top drip, DWC, vertical grow, ETC...That can change the whole game

Wow now my grocery list is up to 4. Seaweed extract, and cal mag are on there. Thx guys gonna try it. Hmmmm pre charge...