Early Sign of Cal or Mag def?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MrSmoke, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

I hate to double post here, but I'm not sure if this is a coco specific issue.

I've been scouring the net for solutions to the issue, but its hard to determine 100% if I should be concerned.

Most of the info on cal/mag def states that it starts a lot later than 2 weeks into veg (which has me baffled). I've been giving these guys a light dose of epson salt w/ the water + I applied epsom salt as a foliar spray.

I'm trying not to "overdue" anything at this point. I'm just closely monitoring to see if it gets better/worse.

Anyhow, feel free to comment on the image below (I made sure to take a nice high quality photo). More info can be found here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/656416-early-signs-cal-deficiency-please-help.html

Any suggestions? Should I be alarmed at this stage?

[​IMG]

2. How much Mg are you using per gallon? Whats your medium makeup?

3. Thanks NaughtyDread

Medium: 50/50 mix, coco coir, perlite w/ a bit of pellet dolomite lime (washed well + PH'd to 5.8)
    PH: Everything in at 5.8
    Nutes: 1/8 recommended strength FF liquid nutes (once so far)
    Lighting: LED lighting
    Temp/RH: 80F, 50% RH
    Watering Schedule: Leaning towards underwatering

Final note: Foliar sprayed w/ about 1/8 TSP epsom salt per quart of water yesterday and this morning - bad idea? I read that Epsom Salts as a foliar spray was pretty mild..

4. It could be a Mg deficiency as you have suspected...i don't think your pellitized lime has had a chance to release some of its Mg properties...just do what your doing and check for the same symptoms on the new growth....I'll b looking for an update

5. #5 MrSmoke, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010

Thank you for the input NaughtyDread, highly appreciated.

I'm watching these plants like a hawk! I am of course a concerned parent here - not freaking out yet!

I gave them a shot of molasses this morning for the cal/mag (also a mild additive from what I've read), and will continue with the daily mild ES spray daily for the rest of the week.

So far so good, I'm not seeing new growth with any spots. I think what happened is those spots may have been formed very early in the plants growth cycle (I had a slight mishap in the first week), and as the leaves grew, the existing damage seemed to increase when its simply a more visible spot now.

6. I'll go out on the limb and suggest that is more Calcium deficiency than Magnesium.

Generally speaking, Ca deficiency has a more brown/rust look to it. Magnesium deficiencies are more white (like bleaching).

The plant is REALLY young to be showing such issues already (on its first true leaf). I think that if you're using a good nutrient system then just keep your pH in range and ride it out. If the problem progresses up the plant then you need to start supplementing Cal-Mag. I find the 3rd week of vegetative life requires high levels of Cal-Mag. Later on I then find the 2nd to 5th weeks of flowering need high levels of Magnesium, Potassium, and phosphorus with med-low levels of calcium and low levels of Nitrogen.

Always going to depend on the strain though.

7. I've been out the game an extremely long time so I would not 100% rely on what I said...i was also leaning towards a calcium issue...but have never experienced it or seen at such a young age...keep us posted!!!