germinating fresh from the bud seeds

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by doggerjones, Sep 30, 2011.

1. so yeah i took a few buds from my outdoor plant that i was breeding, probably a little early cause a lot of the seeds are green but theres plenty more on the plant and these buds will probably be nicer to smoke anyway. there are a few nice healthy looking brown seeds but i was wondering if it's possible to just germinate them right now or if it's better to dry them out? wouldn't really make sense in nature for the seeds to drop and then just grow at the beginning of winter but inside isn't nature so has anyone tried this?

2. Try it and get back to me

3. It would probably be best to wait. I've heard that if you dont wait a while to let the seeds dry and "rest" your germination rates will blow.

4. I did it two times right away they all came out fine.

5. it works .. how I test my seeds..

I pull all the dark tiger striped ones for my collection..but the ones that don't make the cut all get a big huge wet paper towel for 48 hours to see how many cracked.

6. alright well i now fully harvested my plant and have lots of mature seeds, most of them i'm gonna dry out for a week or 2 but i put about 10 into paper towels almost right away to see what happens. been about a day and a half and nothing to see but thats to be expected

7. today i can see a couple of the seeds just barely cracked open with the white stem showing through which is surprising. hopefully will be able to put those in peat pods in 2 or 3 days, not sure how well they'll do once above ground but we'll see

8. [​IMG]

after about 10 days of putting 6 seeds into soil this 1 has sprouted so far, hopefully some of the rest will soon. dried the seeds for maybe 4 or 5 hours before putting them in paper towels so they were still pretty much fresh from the bud.

9. It's best to let them dry a bit. Usually germination is poor until the seeds have rested for at least a few weeks if you harvest your seed plant while it's still green and wet. If you let the plant die on the stalk though, it makes absolutely no difference.Usually you will have little to no pops(immature seeds). I prefer to let my seed girls dry on the stalk till the seeds rattle in the pod- that way you get the biggest, best planting seeds possible.

10. Cover the squares with clear food wrap or cellophane or a baggie until they break above soil!!! Keep humidity high and they should pop above soil soon! Remove as soon as you see some cotyledon leaves.