Breeding Feminized Automatic...Question

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by growgreek, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ok experts, i have a question for you....

i have 2 automatic strains that i would like to combine and hopefully come up with a better product.

the first one is the Afghan Ryder Kush which has a very high thc % of 22%

the second one is a UFO Dinafem Fruit Automatic, which has superb smell and taste.

both types are feminized, and i create new seeds using colloidal silver and pollenating a female of the same type or often the same plant.

my thought was to take the feminized pollen from the afghan and pollenate the dinafem fruit. my goal is to get the high thc of the afghan with the taste of the fruit.

my question is this....will each new seed have different traits than the parents? meaning is each seed different? will i have to grow each seed to harvest to see if it has the traits i want? then use the colloidal silver on part of that plant to get pollen and pollenate itself....

lol i know thats more than one question....

:smoke:

2. you will get different traits for sure. The seeds won't be a stabilized breed after a 1st generation cross. What I would be more concerned with is the resulting seeds having a chance of going hermie during budding.

3. why is that?

the problem is that this is an auto strain and cannot be cloned, so i wont know if it hermies itself because if i want to get more of the same genes i need to use the colloidal silver to purposely hermie the plant and pollenate itself to get more seeds for further use.

4. Here'sthe reason I say that. I'm not a geneticist, but I'll explain the best I can in simple terms. A feminized seed is a form of mutated genetics. You want to take an already mutated gene, and multiply that by 2. The seeds may be all true, beautiful female seed, IDK. However, I planted a patch once using auto fem seeds produced exactly like you are talking about, and week 4 of flowering they all went hermie and started shooting pollen sacks everywhere. The grow was ruined and I did a lot of work and put money into it for nothing, so i'll never use feminized seed for breeding again, nor will I collect seed from clones. If you use true, stable, good genetics for breeding you will always be happy with the results. Good luck.

5. ok i get that...

but there is a chance that one or more of the seeds will be good right?

i have a pc grow box that will be used only for the breeding so none of the experimental seeds will ruin anything.

so if i plant the new seeds that are produced from this cross, then plant those seeds, then cross those with themselves to create more of the same genetics. then those seeds will be used for harvesting and testing

so each seed produced from the first cross will be marked and labeled seperately by number.

then grow each one out individually, and force pollination on itself to create more of the same genetics. these plants will also be unusable.

label that entire batch of seeds as the same number as the seed that was planted. these should all be the exact same right?

then after those are created, plant one of those and grow for harvest and testing.

repeat process for each other seed from the first cross.

is this correct?

6. so lets say the F1 seeds are labeled 1-100

then i start working on seed F1-1

create more seeds from only that plant by colloidal silver and self pollination. those will also be labeled F1-1? or is that F2-1?

at that point i should have at least 100 of those seeds, so they can be tested without worry about losing the genetics to not having more seeds. (since autos cannot be cloned)

i then plant F1-1 (or F2-1?) and harvest for testing.

remember my goal is for taste of the fruit with the super high of the afghan....

if that new plant hermies, i know that the F1-1 was no good and the seeds can be destroyed? or should i try with another one of the same batch?

if it doesnt hermie but doesnt reach my goal, they would be noted and stored.

then i would start with F1-2 and start from scratch...

does this sound right?

7. It sounds like a good experiment. If it were me I would use to silver thiosulphate to induce pollen sacks on a non-feminized plant, and use that pollen for seeding a non-feminized plant. I wouldn't try breeding with seeds that were self-pollenated from the same plant, monoculture usually creates problems down the road. It's like having children with your twin.

8. well i dont have regular seeds of those strains, i only have feminized versions of them. they are super strains individually, but for different reasons....what i want is to make one super strain from both.

9. Well it's worth a try. Hopefully they will do well. Also, it would make a nice grow log in the future!!

10. anyone else have any ideas?

11. am i going about this right?

12. ok...thanks for the article...

but that doesnt help me much.

i know that every seed is an offspring....just like a human or any other animal....and that each will have different traits based on random selection and dominant vs recessive traits.

my main concern is whether this little experiment will yield me results....and whether i am going about it the right way or not....

13. Do I understand correctly that seeds produced by a self pollinated plant will all be very similar?

Will they be genetic clones or just very close relatives?

Your plan of crossing, femming to self pollinate, and testing the seeds sounds good to me, growgreek. I don't have ANY experience with this stuff though.

ps
    Have you looked into root cloning? There is a theory that you can clone autoflower strains by cutting a section of root with the tip included.

14. i have never heard of that....any links you know of? or any experts want to chime in about that?

15. Root Clone Test - pictures

That thread has some really good information. After 33 pages, still no one could repeat Hobbe's experience.

16. so i have read a few pages of it....your saying that even if i read all 33 pages, there is no positive result? from any one?

17. correct
    lota good info though
    the root pruning thread is also very good with some actual results too lol

18. my new projects are using air pots....they root prune themselves...

maybe i will toss my old roots in a bucket though and see what happens?