The Holy Grail of Seeds, rarest of seeds, or the most sought after seed

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by oceanbluefree, Mar 30, 2010.

1. As a new grower I'd like to find out if there are extremely rare seed/genetics I should be keeping my eyes and ears out for. The purpose of my question is not for personal profit. I'm more interested in the preservation of good genetics and historically important breeds. So guidance here will be truly appreciated.

2. #2 lessismore, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010

Personally, I collect and preserve strains which I like based on potency, taste, smell, and uniform traits. I also collect land races, which in todays times an be hard, but I know a few places which have some decentland races worth preserving b/c in present times travel and transporting the seeds can be very risky.

The very rare and hard to find strains I keep very guarded and will not grow until I have the time and space to reporduce them so I can keep them in my collection.

IMHO, the Holy Grail of strains is in the eyes of the beholder. Different people will have different favorites.

3. There is an abundance of info on the web about this topic, you just have to do a little more broad searching. You would probably gain more knowledge by doing that type of research bc there are tons of threads on various forums about rare strains and seeds. Be weary of advertising and scams, and your pursuit should be fun.

4. Thank you Lessismore, By land races, do you mean the original cultivars from different regions? I'd like to collect some of these "heirloom" seeds. What are some good land races to start with? Do you sort by sativa and indica (percentages) and age?

5. Thank you butterbear, I'm trying to play catch up because there seems to be a lot for me to learn on this subject. I was reading about northern lights earlier and it got me thinking about the importance of knowing the lineage of the plant. I definetly respect the opinions and experience here at gc above other sights i've seen.

6. Same deal with me........

I keep my seeds in 6 layers of plastic (Food Saver-type device) in the bottom of a deep freezer which has proven successful for me in keeping old genetics to insure some level of germination success.

Fun hobby if nothing else.

LD

7. Yes, land race inbred lines are cultivars from various countries/regions around the world. Buying them onlne is hard b/c if yu do not know the actual breeders, you can get duped into buying sme hybrid they made to recreate the variety. There are a few which sell some fine land races, but you do not hear of them b/c few possess the patience to wait 14-18+ weeks, and we must also remember true inbred land races can carry many traits depending on how they were cultivated in their native land.

True lines of land race varieties are either or; they are either Sativa, or Indica. Personally, Thai is my favorite strain to work with, I presently have 3 varieties from 3 different regions, as well as a cross of all 3 which has grown true on the last 2 grows, but only after about 8 yrs of work.

8. LD thanks for this information. I think I'd like to fill up a whole freezer with different seeds. Judging from what is available today, I probably could. It sounds like a lifetime hobby and a worthy one because of the importance of the plant.

9. Less, I respect your comments because I can see that you have studied and know what you grow. Congrats on your continued work with your thai strains. Who knew research and the work involved in crop production/improvement could be so fullfilling. So I would think a thai land race would look, smell and taste slightly different if it's grown by hydro, organically, or indoors in soil than if it was grown in Southeast Asia, true?

10. lessismore

From my limited experience, Thai strains are some of the most rewarding to work with and also some of the more difficult strain lines to work with.

Same with some African sativa strains that I've worked with and still grow one specific strain which takes 16-17 weeks to finish and as you know takes a good hand at LST to keep things moving in the right direction.

That's been my experience at any rate.

LD

11. LD or Less, is there any seed that has eluded your collection over the years?

12. oceanbluefree

The one commercial strain that I would have liked to have purchased is the C-99 strain from the Brothers Grimm (or was it Grimm Brothers?) - pretty much a legend in many circles. From what I understand their entire seed lines were pretty remarkable.

And before I die I wouldn't mind finding a REAL Skunk #1. I've grown out at least 20 cuttings from other growers with the assurance that 'This is the real deal!'

Wanna bet?

LOL

LD

13. C-99 and Skunk #1 have to be out there somewhere. Probably some old do it yourself grower living in the country somewhere has it. He probably doesn't use a computer, has a few tractors, wakes and bakes everyday. Hell, we gotta find this guy!

14. #14 Blaze21, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
    True C99 is still around, but hard to find. I know a few people that have kept it going though and supposedly still have seeds of it left. It is a good strain and a great breeder.

Like lessismore stated, the "best" strain is subjective. Everyone has their preferences. However, you will sometimes encounter exceptional plants within certain seed lines.

Ever hear of "Burbank's Law?" Basically it states that one out of every 100 seedlings will be an exceptional plant and these are the ones that should be breeders. Since cannabis has two sexes, this would mean that roughly one out of every 200 seedlings will be that extra special female plant you are looking for. In my experience this does seem to hold pretty true. It seems like every few years I get a seedling that just blows away everything else in the garden and all the other seedlings from that same strain - the "holy grail" plant so to speak. These are always the ones I try to get cuts of seeds off of ;-)

15. C-99
    Skunk#1
    Original NYC diesel
    Orange Krush( i hear is pretty prevalent in cali, but never been available to me except in bag form.)
    Original Haze
    Thai

Those are my "wish list" of rare, and relatively rare seeds, although recently i have talked to people who say c99 is ridiculous potent, almost to a fault.

If you want to get even more exotic in your search, you can try looking for specific Phenos of a given strain. Some people don't want just c99, but the Grapefruit Pheno which is supposed to smell like decomposing citrus, I have heard there was a pineapple like pheno as well.

Less, i noticed your new avatar, is that a more recent crop pic? What strain?

16. #16 jiggaboojones, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010

ld less had put me on to a site called wseedbay . its like e bay but for old pot seeds . and for the same reason as a matter a fact . i just didnt have the money to get them or fully know how to work the site properly either. moving on ,
    there are people on there selling the original bro's grimm from what less told me and can get them there if you want to pay . the last time i was there i saw it for 165$ and dont know if this was for one seed. i 'll have to ask less about this... good luck.

17. I just got some ibl c99 seeds from original brothers grim stock off seedbay for 40 bucks, its an f5 so it isnt the original but by the fifth generation they should be stable,they might still be on there but im not sure. c99 was always a holy grail strain in my eyes as well as pine tar kush

18. Not much of a crop, more like a micro grow, I'm growing a Williams Wonder(Avatar) and a NL #2X5(profile). My cabnet smells like punch spiked with Gin....seriously. The #2X5 gives off a Juniper Berry scent, while the sweeter Williams Wonder adds a sweet scent. They are about 10-15 days away now. I will have to chop a couple little popcorn nugs in a fews days so it is dry and cured well for 420. Not much of a follower of 420, but since it is so close, why not.

19. hey , less i just mentioned you n bam . i noticed LD was lookin for the c99 n told him about seedbay n whatnot . i was wondering if you knew some details on it wheather the price i saw was for one seed or not . all i could gather was quanity one and didnt know if it meant pack or seed.and it was pricey. i cant figure how to manuver properly there either i kept being pushed to one page . :rolleyes:

20. jiggaboojones

A couple of years ago at Seedbay.com there was a breeder pack (still intact) of the C-99 strain. It finally sold for just under $7,500.00 supposedly.

Put me in the suspicious column on that one. To say the least.

LD