Old Wives Tales??? seeds...

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by joe_fresh, Feb 17, 2010.

1. just read this on a seed site, just wondering if its true or just an old wives tale?

A higher nitrogen concentration will give more females.
    A higher potassium concentration will give more males.
    A higher humidity will give more females.
    A lower temperature will give more females.
    More blue light will give more females.
    Fewer hours of light will give more females. It is important to start these changes at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks, before reverting to standard conditions.
    To produce our feminized seeds, we start with selected female clones. Under standard conditions these female clones do not produce any male flowers. By the method we found, we are able to have these female clones produce abundant male flowers and pollen . The pollen thus produced we use for the production of our "female" seeds.

Your highest concern is: what's the chance of a hermie?
    First of all, what is a hermie? A real hermie is a plant which creates 50% male flowers and 50% female flowers with hardly no bud formation. This is possible in all seeds, just as much in regular seeds as in well produced female seeds. It's part of nature and happens in very rare cases. All of our seed batches are tested for hermie's before they are released on the market. Seed batches which have proven to be unreliable are destroyed. Deviations which are uncommon, but possible in female seeds are a few (mostly sterile) male first flowers on the stem of a female plant. After removal of these few balls, the plant will grow into a full female. Hence 99% female seeds. So, what is the chance of you getting a male flower? It's like the chance of getting involved in an accident whilst driving your car, there is a tiny chance of coming across a male flower in our female seeds.

2. Two parts to this.

First, environmental conditions can effect the sex of a plant grown from seed. I believe this is true since Its in one of Jorge Cervantes books and at Oaksterdam News Network - Springtime coming soon; time to get seeds ready (a reputable cannabis college).

As for Feminized seeds. This is a big debate. I am an evolutionary biologist and the following is what I believe has caused so much confusion.

Hormones (or silver based chemicals) are used to trick female plants into producing seeds. If the plant is truly female all goes as planned. The problem is that all cannabis is technically Monoecious (not exactly the same as hermie) so the hormones can cause real male flowers instead of "female pollen producing flowers". If this happens the seeds will be far more likely to be hermies because the pollen came from a hermi not a
    "female pollen producing flowers". The female pollen is why the male flowers should be sterile (they are not actually male just confused)

This is not usually a problem because modern cannabis has been bred for many years to eliminate hermi traits. And the seed banks check for hermies just in case. The also don't feminize seeds
    unless they are TOP SHELF which in this day and age means NO HERMI TRAITS.

A side thought.
    Monoecious is the correct term for male and female plants. Hermaphrodite is generally reserved for non-plants. Its use in Cannabis culture is unique in that it ALMOST always refers to plants that became partially male late in development. Monoecious plants are born, Hermies are created by stressing a female into thinking its only hope for survival is to "find the genes breeders have so carefully hidden from the plant".

3. this is all good info, but what i was really curious about was:

A higher nitrogen concentration will give more females.
    A higher potassium concentration will give more males.
    A higher humidity will give more females.
    A lower temperature will give more females.
    More blue light will give more females.
    Fewer hours of light will give more females. It is important to start these changes at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks, before reverting to standard conditions.

4. yeah i have heard alot of this from some weed site . also the soil ph if higher around 7 more likely to be female. the noitrogen i believe to be correct n i am not sure about potassium. the rest is up in the air to me i grew 10 plants from seed and they were all under 27k cfl n only one was male n he was (cheap/reg) bagseed i just did for the hell of it. all the good bag seed were female.

5. bagseed usually tends to be female because usually there is no male in comercial crops to pollinate the female, therefore its usually a female plant that gets stressed and makes male bannanas and pollinates itself and other surrounding plants, making them most likely female

6. yeah i thought it was pretty cool when i was getting into growing because of the quality of bud i was getting i didnt mind growing the bagseed instead of spending all that on the banks but i had to eventualy . i keep a good supply of the high end bagseeds just for comercial purpose.