Crossing autoflowers

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by pgrowsoul, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Quetion for any who know about crossing autoflowers with regular plants. I have some ShortStuff#1 seeds and a FourWay I can clone. The FourWay is a freaky mutant. A few odd leaves but still very healthy. Anywho, the best thing about it is that after the second internode it automatically "topped" itself and put out 3 new apical growtips with out any sign of delayed grow that usually accompanies the handy work of humans! Id love to capture this trait in and autoflower variety, assuming it genetic and not environmental. An auto-topping autoflowering would be awsome since you shouldnt really top autoflowers and it would theoretically produce 3 times as much bud as a regular autoflower. So, I've never really crossed plants before but I do know quite abit about genetics and I like any suggestions ya'll may have on how to go about this. Online sources suggest that an F1 cross will yield about 5% autoflower seeds that can be recrossed with a full autoflower to lock in the trait. Sooo, If you look at the back ground genetics of FourWay you'll find that it is 1/4 ruderallis. How do ya'll think that will react with the autoflower traits? I figure that the mutant growth pattern will be maintained in about 25% of the off spring. Also, does anyone know if the autoflower trait is sex-linked or anything like that? i.e. which would be better male or female autoflower? Anyinput from folks that really know what they are doing would be much appreciated. It will prolly take a crap load of work but the end result could be legendary!

2. I'm not touching this! Between female seeds and Ruderalis the gene pool just keeps getting more and more fucked up.

less

EDIT: There is a reason SSSC and Neville put Ruderalis on a back shelf and forgot about it. Just as there is a reason these greedy profit mongers known as breeders today bought it back out.

3. #3 pgrowsoul, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
    Yea, but this is one of the most cultivated plants on earth, genetics will be preserved. Not everyone can have a huge indoor setup or grow outdoors. Articifcial genetic selection is a handy tool for customizing plants for specific application. The master race was Hitlers idea! haha, jk. If we stuck with the let it be attitude our "strains" would still be weak as far a potency and flavor go. Just wait till its legal and farmers start growing acers of THC free hemp. See what all that pollen in the air does to your genetics then!

Edit: Well, it affords alot of people the ability to grow when they normally wouldn't be able to. So, if the seed companies ever decided to sell only autoflowering species (not going to happen) then I think you'd be justified in your view of them. Not to say that they aren't greedy bastards! They charge WAY to much for seeds period! even with the work put in, seeds should be dirt cheap!

4. Potency has not increased that much over the last 30 yrs or so. Why do peopel think it has? Because the breeders say their strains are so potent. In order to make a potent strains, one must have potent genetics, and these genetics must be P1, F1's are hydrids basically worthless for breeding. So if what you say is true, then what we have today would not be any better than it was 30 yrs ago b/c the strains were shit to begin with.

Flavor is a phenotype, and has nothing to do with potency or genology of a strain. Shit I have 6 different phenotypes all from the same batch of Skunk #1 seeds I aquired in 79 & 80. Mostly what the new generation of growers is going by is hyped up advertising, not true fact.

The auto-flowering strains do have their place, but not at the cost of tainting gene polls of otherwise stable strains.

Here, 4way has ruderalis in it's lineage, and Short Stuff is probsbly 40-50% Ruderalis. Given those ratios, your offspring would be well overe 50% Ruderalis, which is not potent at all. So by crossing these strains, you may end up with a good percentage of auto-flowering, but would have sacrificed the potency of both strains to accomplish it. If either are from feminised seeds, then you will not even get viable offspring.

I really do not care either way.

less