Should I read Game of Thrones?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by teeheeterror, Jun 1, 2012.

1. #1 teeheeterror, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
    If I'm already caught up with the current season?
    And start from book 1? I heard they missed a good chunk of details from the books in the show.
    So tempted to jump into book three though, ugh...

2. A Game of Thrones is the first book, the series is actually called A Song of Ice and Fire. (not trying to be snarky, just letting you know if you try and find it at a library or such)

I really like it, but the long wait between releases is really frustrating. Like... two or more years between books being released.

3. Yeah, there was a 5-6 year gap between the last two books, makes me wonder if he'll ever finish :[
    And yeah, I knew it was called a song of ice and fire, just so used to calling it game of thrones.

4. He also has a bad habit of promising a book, then releasing half of it (see A Dance with Dragons) for full price while he spends two or more years working on the second half.

It's not QUITE as political, but if you're needing a fix in a similar genre, give Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series a go. It's a bit more fantasy and less political intrigue, but the characters are more likeable. And it's 14 books long, at 7-9 hundred pages each with a 2-3 hundred page long prequel, so it should give you a time killer.

Or you could try some of Vince Flynn's novels. He's not my favorite, but he shows up in a lot of reviewers "best political fiction" lists.