A taste of my photography. (Photo Heavy)

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by chocobo, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Any criticism is welcome. If you have any recommendations on better composition, color/arrangement, spill it out.

All photos were shot with a Canon Powershot sx10 IS. Soon to be upgrading to the Canon EOS 40D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was my first panorama.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just a few from this summer. Will continue to update as I feel necessary.

2. you've definitely got some nice solid shots there! my favorite is the one with the tennis ball and the dog- great perspective.

3. wow! awesome shots! I love the tennis ball one with the dog in the background & the kitty cat :]

4. ^ what they said. But I like the fireworks. They look cooool :smoking:

5. tennis ball, b&w cat, & panorama are my favorites. All in all fantastic pictures, so crisp.

I love taking photos but my little olympus 4-1/2-year-old point-n-shoot is just so mediocre or less. blaaaaah... time to invest in a cam!

How much was your PowerShot SX10 IS, probably like $350-$450?

6. Thanks everyone. The tennis ball one was my favorite as well. It took a bit of work to get my dog to cooperate with me for that shot.

I purchased it off of new egg for $345, but used pay pal to pay for it, and because of that, they gave me a $50 back reward. So it only came out to be $295. For the camera, I can't complain. It is still a point and shoot camera, but has a feel similar to a DSLR. The only thing you can't do is change the lens, but you can pick up attachments.

7. Tennis ball / dog shot is excellent . The train shot has great subject matter , but I like panoramic shots where you see a complete center piece or where neither begining nor end can be seen , giving the train an endless look .

8. Just an update. I went to a Farmer's Market and to an Apple Festival and just decided to have a little bit of fun. The weather was dreary, but I think some of the shots still came out well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. All your photos look great,

The cat one looks really sickkk :smoke:

10. The one of the wet street is amazing.

11. Thats an amazing talent you have. If its one thing I can NOT do, its take a decent photograph.

12. awesome stuff dude! keep it up :)

13. Thanks for the reply guys. Here is some things I did on Friday. Also, four of the photos were my first real attempt at HDR. I've fooled around with it before, but never tried to make any decent images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the first attempt. I think it's a little overdone, personally.
    [​IMG]
    The second attempt
    [​IMG]
    The third attempt.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, the fourth, and my favorite shot of the day.
    [​IMG]

14. may i ask what HDR means?

your shots are prettty darn awesome, good work

15. Thanks.

HDR means High Dynamic Range. Basically it is taking three of the same images set at different exposures; One normal exposure, one underexposure, and one overexposure, and merging them into one image. This image then brings out the qualities that all the exposures had to offer, and you use tone mapping tools in a program like photoshop or photomatix to smooth it out, and add the strength, luminosity, contrast, brightness, white balance, black balance, etc... to get your desired photograph.

It sounds much harder than it is. I felt intimidated trying to learn about it, and just decided to try it myself, and easily got the results I wanted.

16. please explain whats going on here!!!

17. ^^ Hahah. If I remember right that was a cabbage. However, I can't tell you for sure. I remember taking the photo because I wanted to capture the water droplets on it. However, it looks as if the cabbage has some weird growths on it....

18. that panorama is sick

19. I have the same camera as you.

I noticed it's tricky to get real high quality pictures with it unless you're really steady and Manually adjust the lighting. Obviously you don't have that problem.

Mine was $530.00 :eek:

Ah, you're giving me hope for better pictures though :)

20. Oh man. When did you purchase it? Mine was just about a year ago... $530 seems a little extreme for that camera.

I mostly shoot on TV mode. I like to be able to adjust my shutter and let the camera take care of the aperture. I also usually shoot with my color mode on neutral. It also helps to have a tripod because the camera doesn't function well in any lower lighting. Oh, and most of my pictures are taken in widescreen (I just prefer it over the others) and I feel it gives it a good look... Just keep taking pictures. The more you take it out and the more you shoot, the more familiarity you'll gain with it, and the better your shots will come.