Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Buying Marijuana – Marijuana Weight, Size and Quantity *Guide*

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by trazyfilth, Aug 29, 2011.

1. For those of you new to buying marijuana or selling marijuana you may or may not know this, but for the absolute beginners you probably have no idea of the marijuana sizes that are most commonly sold in the marijuana dispensary or by dealers on the street.Marijuana Sizes

Marijuana is most commonly sold in increments of grams, ounces and pounds. Knowing the gram conversions from and to ounces is a must if you don't want to get ripped, because your digital scales is going to weight it in grams, while most people sell marijuana in ounces. The ounces are what most people usually sell and buy marijuana in, because it's enough to last anything from a couple days to a month depending on the amount someone smokes and the tolerance of the smoker. Pounds are large, large quantities of marijuana so the average smoker probably wouldn't have to worry about pounds, unless you buy your marijuana in large quantities so you don't have to buy it very often, and the price is usually lower per ounce, because of buying such large quantities of marijuana.
    List of Marijuana Weights (smallest to largest)

Gram - A gram is the smallest amount that you can typically buy marijuana for, it's enough for a blunt, about $5 of reg bud, but you're more likely to buy marijuana in grams if it is higher quality marijuana (Ranging from $10-$35 a gram).
    Dime Bag - A dime is the next largest amount, usually called dime bags, dime sacks, etc. Essentially it's $10 worth of weed, depending on where you live and what kind you're getting it could be slightly more or less. Typically a dime bag of regular weed is 2 grams, I have a friend in NC who about 1.7 grams when he buys a dime, but they usually have slightly better quality weed.
    Dub – A dub is $20 worth of weed. Like a Dime bag this can also vary depending upon weed quality and who you know. For regular bud around here it's 4 grams.
    1/8 (Eighth) - An eighth is the smallest marijuana ounce increment that you can buy marijuana in. It is 3.5 grams. An eighth usually provides a couple days of marijuana smoking, if you smoke once or twice a day.
    1/4 (Quarter) - A quarter is the next size up, as you progress up in marijuana weights the price usually gets cheaper, so a lot of people buy marijuana in quarters. A quarter is twice as much as an eighth. A quarter is 7.1 grams. It typically lasts about a week or so smoking once a day. Some people refer to quarters as QOs (quarter ounce).
    1/2 (Half) - Half is the next level higher and it is twice as much marijuana as a quarter and four times as much marijuana than an eighth. I like to buy in halves because they last long enough to not have to worry about running out of marijuana for awhile. Half ounce is 14.2 grams. Also sometimes referred to as an HO (half ounce).
    1 (Ounce) - One ounce is where you start getting in larger quantities of marijuana that also cost more, but you usually get the best deals on halves and ounces when compared to eighths and quarters due to the fact that you're buying in larger quantities. An ounce is where most people stop progressing up unless they're planning to not have to buy for 6 months. Ounce can last a month for some smokers who smoke a lot, but if you smoke multiple times a day it will vary from 1 week to 4 weeks. An ounce is 28.3 grams. They are often referred to as O's, and oz's.
    1/4 ( Quarter Pound) – A quarter pound is a lot of marijuana. It's the equivalent of four ounces, and will last any smoker awhile. They are referred to as QPs majority of the time, because people who you're talking to about it know what that means, while others may not have any clue.
    1/2 (Half Pound) – Half pound is 8 ounces, and all it takes is simple math to figure out how many grams that is since I've told you the gram size per ounce. Referred to as HPs on the street.
    1 (Pound) – One pound. A pound is a big ass zip lock bag of marijuana, like the freezer bags. If you have almost a pound you can tell from sight, but it's hard to eye ball marijuana weights. A pound is 16 ounces.
    Eyeballing Marijuana Weight

Some people have relative success in eye balling the bag weight when it comes to smaller and larger sizes, but as the increments get larger or smaller it becomes significantly harder to tell exactly how much marijuana is in there. That's why you need to invest in a good digital scales, because your marijuana seller could be ripping you off every time you go to him, a gram or two from a dub is a lot and you may not know, he could be doing it all along, so over time it adds up and that's just extra money going out the door.
    For example, which one of these two pictures has more bud:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Neither, they're both a quarter of marijuana, though the second picture looks like it has much more weed.

2. #2 poker2, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
    Last time I checked a Dime and a Gram were the same thing.
    A Dime = 1gram
    A Gram = 1gram :p
    Both cost $10 on avg.

:smoking:

3. "a gram or two from a dub is a lot"
    where I come from, a dub is 2 grams of dank and you'd be damned if I ever exchanged money with a dealer without first checking the bag- I would notice a gram missing.

then again, I only cop in ounces. More bang for your buck

4. Incorrect, 10$ a gram is not average.
    a dime and a gram aren't the same thing, a dime is 10$ of weed, and you might buy a gram for 10$, that would make it a dime sack and also a gram bag, but most places you're getting .5-.7 for 10$

5. woaaahhh who pays $35 a gram??

6. Sorry, I shouldn't have included that part where I added pricing.
    Everywhere is different.
    Canada = $10 a gram of dank, making a dime and a gram the same thing.

7. word up, I pay $7
    love cali :)

8. #8 HxCurt, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
    Some good info, a lot however is contrary to my experience and is regional (thus would not apply to everyone). One quick examlple is saying an LB is a single giant zip lock. When I was getting LBs, it was a stuffed gallon zip lock per HP. So my 5 packs were 10 stuffed giant ziplocks. Only time a full LB will fit into one of those is if its mids or just absurdly dense dank (never seen that myself, and I've seen a lot of bud).

As shown below: (me holding an elbow)

[​IMG]

9. Sorry I dont need anything.  :D

10. Something I found that helps a lot when eyeballing is to divide nug by nug.  This doesn't really work to determine if you've been ripped off but a good way for friends to split a bag.  I've had some serious "nug drafts" before.

Say you get an 1/4, that's 7 grams.  So try to find the two largest nugs that are about the same size/weight.  pull them out and seperate, then continue this method till your down to the shake.  Split large nugs up if you have to.  Should have two 3.5gram piles now.

OP, in a lot of states after a dub would be a half eighth ($25 a lot of the time).  Also called a half sack.

11. I'm confused. I seen a 2.5 gallon zip lock bag stuffed online referred to as half a pound. Huh?

12. Weed should be weighed with a scale, not a ziploc bag lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ok. Though even still I've seen people refer to amount in bag amounts though I agree with you and that's confusing. Though I'd think a pound would be a heck a lot and so I just want to know there isn't some new from back in day pound and its a huge amount

14. Containers of any sort just demonstrate volume, which is meaningless. Nugs can be dense and they can be fluffy. Any amount of dense nugs, an ounce, a pound, etc. will have less volume than the same amount of fuffy nugs. One can take up more space than the other, but is still the same amount (weight).

• Like Like x 1
  15. And your weight should never include the container, be it a pill dram/bottle or a Zip-loc bag.