Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Panic Attacks after smoking

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by skigirl17, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Okay, so I used to smoke a bit a few years ago, but then I had a horrible experience getting crossfaded last summer so I stopped for a while. Lately, I've been trying to get back into it. I've smoked a couple of times and just gotten a little buzzed and been fine. However, tonight I took a couple bong rips and got high for the first time in a year. As soon as it hit me I felt like I was having a massive panic attack. (I have diagnosed anxiety and just started taking medication for it today) The feeling of anxiety would hit me in waves and it continued to for about half an hour. Suddenly the bad feeling completely subsided and I was fine for the rest of the night, or so I thought. By the time I went to bed I felt almost completely normal, but I just woke up because I started panicking again while I was sleeping. I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Hey, I just took a break from smoking and after a bong hit I get a really intense rushing feeling (it kind of feels like waves) in my chest and throughout the rest of my body. It's easy to confuse this with heart palpitations and anxiety, but a lot of that feeling is just an intense body high from a bong hit when you have a low tolerance. It also can make your heart rate speed up, and make it feel like your heart is beating harder then it is.

I also have problems with anxiety and I've found that after smoking weed, when I focus on a sensation it can become "magnified", like it's all I can feel. If you just relax and try not to think about the sensations, remind yourself it's just from the weed and no one has died from cannabis use, and hopefully the high will become more enjoyable for you and feel less like a panic attack.

Welcome to GrassCity, by the way.

3. I've suffered a lot of anxiety smoking pot, so I can definitely relate. If it happens again, deep breathing is a good way to get through it. Also just telling yourself it will be over soon and that there's nothing wrong. Simple stuff like that. Most importantly, don't overdo it with smoking. I tend to just smoke joints nowadays, rather than ripping cones and getting super stoned.

4. If you suffer from anxiety issues while or after smoking cannabis you should not do it at all. That just gives governments a reason to say it's addictive. Your harming yourself, and possibly causing some serious to happen because you need/want to smoke cannabis ?

5. It's only a problem if I smoke a lot of pot in a few days time. All I have to do is keep it in moderation and I can enjoy it no problems. I don't intend to give the government any reasons or whatever you're talking about.

6. #6 fadeddd, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
    Rofl, I'm sure one guy who smokes pot DESPITE a side effect of anxiety is legitimate reason to call it "addictive". Not.

Every single medication has negative potential side effects. Anxiety is one of them. Every anti-depressant on the market has a paradoxical potential side effect of depression, suicidal tendencies, and anxiety. Even psychosis. These pills are still prescribed, and beyond that they're more toxic than cannabis and have more dangerous physical side effects as well. People still use these medications, either because of their doctor's advice or because they help them in other ways. I guess they're all addicts too. :rolleyes:

You smoke it too, what makes it okay for you and not for other people just because they have anxiety? The guy said he just smokes joints now because it's not as overwhelming, so he has shit under control. Worry about yourself.

Lastly, it's not even his thread. He's just trying to offer some advice to someone and you're jumping his case when you don't even know him and blaming him (or people "like him") for why it's illegal? Saying that's why government says it's addictive and as if that actually influenced policy? Wtf. Cannabis being illegal has nothing to do with it's addiction potential (cigarettes, alcohol, opiates?)

7. Thanks, fadeddd. I think some people just defend marijuana even if there's actually no reason to at the time. It's strange, getting so uptight about such a relaxing herb...

8. #8 schmidty797, Jul 17, 2011
    First of all, I never said it was addictive. Do I think the government would brand it because of one man? Hell yes I do. I'm not jumping on him either, I don't know who the fuck you are and I don't care. Get off my case. And lastly don't tell me who or what to worry about.

I'm holding two fingers up, sit and twirl.

If he moderates his smoking, like I see he posted after I replied to him. Then that's fine, but it's obviously not a good idea to use something that effects you negatively in any way. And yes that includes anything, I don't drink milk because I've been lactose since birth, makes sense right? I'm not hating on you man.

9. #9 fadeddd, Jul 17, 2011
    Alright man, but telling someone you don't know at all "you shouldn't smoke at all." seems to be a little on his case to me. He said in his very first post he tries not to get super high anymore and you still had to throw in your two cents. Why shouldn't I throw in my two cents on you?

You being lactose intolerant and not drinking milk isn't the same either, drinking milk doesn't get you high and the vitamins are accessible elsewhere. Weed is one of a kind, baby. Chemotherapy effects people in a negative way, I guess everyone should just let their cancer spread throughout their body? Pain killers effect people in a negative way, they should just deal with their pain until they die though, right? And you should be allowed to smoke your weed, cause you're you, and you're awesome. :D

You seem a little pissed/on edge, dude. Seriously.

10. Not true, there are other herbs around the world that can be used to create euphoria. I'm not pissed nor on edge, you just make me laugh. Just like 30 % percent of the people I encounter on these forums.

11. Quoted because they were just funny back to back.

And you don't think cannabis is unique? Other herbs are comparable just on account of inducing euphoria? LOL How about using cannabis as a euphoria inducer as an indicator of abuse. Holier than thou should be your user name.

12. So because I used the word fuck, and told you to sit and twirl. Via the internet you can tell my emotional feelings. You are an idiot. Apart from medicinal use, (which may I add there are other herbs that Native Americans have used for quite some time for medicinal purposes) and Euphoria what else is marijuana used for ?

This thread is not directed at this discussion. I'm not going to spam it up anymore.

13. #13 fadeddd, Jul 17, 2011
    Please name a herb or drug that's effective in combating as many diseases and conditions as cannabis can. :eek:

Euphoria is just one of many side effects of cannabis, just like anxiety can be. Just like cotton mouth. People use it as a sleep aid, to relax, for religious, shamanistic, and spiritual reasons, for effecting their dreams. I'm not going to sit here and list off every single sensation outside of euphoria people enjoy associated with cannabis, maybe you just need to smoke more or try some different stuff.

And please don't spam it up anymore. I felt bad that you derailed it in the first place for this dumb crap. I just have to say something when I see judgmental ass stoners. Which maybe you're not, but your first post sure seemed like it.

Good night, I hope the OP resolves his/her anxiety problems and that at least the first two responses were helpful.

14. #14 schmidty797, Jul 17, 2011
    I'll go to the library when I have the time, I'm not one to automatically believe in studies and information posted on the web. I really like I said don't want to continue to spam this thread, because this debate is not the subject. Message me if you want to really continue this lol. However you seem to be very self set on believing in Cannabis as a miracle plant so I doubt it's worth it.

It has wonderful benefits, however there are many herbs that do.

Helpful Herbals To Fight HIV-AIDS | Natural Treatment For HIV-AIDS | eHerbalRemedies
    Home Page
    Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - use herbs to fight infection and inflammation.

15. That was his point. You can find herbs to help with a lot of illnesses, but not many herbs help as wide a variety of illnesses as marijuana.

16. No his argument was that there aren't herbs with similar uses to Marijuana. And there is. I don't get the big deal, anyways he pm'd me.

17. I said "Please name a herb or drug that's effective in combating as many diseases and conditions as cannabis can."

And then after you misquote me in a PM, to myself, and I corrected you there, you're now misquoting me here, in the thread, where everything I said can be read.

Is reading comprehension the problem here?

18. Again you are funny. Offended and ignorant.

Apart from combating some forms of sickness, what makes marijuana different? May I add that other herbs can combat sickness as well, like I clearly stated. Please do not state anything about receptors.

Refer back to this post as well.

19. You really do have a problem with reading comprehension, don't you?

20. #20 fadeddd, Jul 17, 2011
    You are pure comedy, my friend. You couldn't be more wrong and that makes me the ignorant one. You make yourself look like an idiot and I'm the offended one. :D

So now I have to prove that marijuana is different from other herbs but I'm not allowed to talk about how many illnesses it can help, or anything about cannabinoid receptors? LOL Cannabinoid receptors are sort of what cannabinoids (THC, CBD, etc) effect, so I guess I'm out of this discussion hahaha. You're absolutely the funniest person I've ever met on GrassCity.

edit: And you liked the post above me ROFL, you truly must have some reading problems. I sort of feel bad now.