Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

acid reflux after smoking?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by hippie flip, Jan 13, 2011.

1. so is it possible to get acid reflux after smoking weed, i used to smoke a lot of weed and always had acid reflux and just figured it was something i had. then i went on a t break for about 3 months, just started smoking again and acid reflux is back! i never had it once through the whole t break. i did some googling and i actually found weed can be used to HELP acid reflux so now im really confused :confused:

2. Did you eat/drink anything different? Did you already eliminate any other possible wide array of factors?

3. yeah man i did eat a lot of shit i dont usually eat, and i usually only drink water, smoothies and coffee but i was drinking tons of coca cola and shieeet. i guess ive just answered my own question :smoke:

4. see man, you cant always go to blaming weed, thats almost as bad as propaganda. Think about ALL the other factors first.

Cannabis is a great treatment for acid reflux and a variety of other conditions and disorders.

5. chill man...i was just curious wasn't 'blaming' anything... this is apprentice tokers right? i did think it did come down to what i ate/drank just wanted to see if any other smokers have had similar experiences....or some shit like that

6. its not the weed, cola and stuff that has alot of citric acid and shit like that gives you acid reflux, weed has no acid in it at all and cannabis does not always help acid reflux, i get it sometimes and it hurts like a bitch, but it does help sometimes, 420 til i die

7. Chillax bro, I wasnt trying to start anything. Just something I see very common when the weed is a FACTOR, but people automatically think it may be a cause.

I see you have it figured out, so relax and we can allhave some herb :D

8. I actually have acid reflux and I smoke bud to help it. The reason you are having those symptoms is because your probably eating at a late period of the night and eating more than usual or junk food in general? That happens to me if I start eating differently from my normal diet.

9. yeah im 99% sure the cause was eating very late at night.

damn munchies

fucking pretzels man

10. Yea it can be hard to resist a late night snack especially if your high!

Dont stock up on junk food or anything if you usually dont. the best way to prevent giving into the cravings is to just not have it around.

11. I can tell you for sure, I personally do get really bad acid reflux after a night of smoking. It's usually worst if I've smoked a lot that night (obviously two oor three bowls makes you get much worse reflux than a few hits would), and I've noticed that harsher smoke can often contribute to it as well (hitting a bong causes much less of an issue than smoking a joint does). I think it's the smoke rather than the cannabis itself. I'm sure that vaping or consuming weed would eliminate the acid reflux entirely, but if you're not willing to go that route (I know I'm not), just keep a bottle of Tums nearby whenever you're smoking, just in case you start feeling sick to your stomach or get a massive wave of heartburn. Believe me, antacids really do a world of good if the smoke has irritated your digestive tract.

12. Your right man i get this too , i get it in the mornings too , if i haven't eaten ....but i get it worse when i wake up , if i ate a shit loads of shit the night before , right before falling to sleep baked of my face lol! so its not the weed just our poor diet choice at the time ! Although it tastes so DAMM good!MUnichies MMMM!

13. [quote name='"hippie flip"']so is it possible to get acid reflux after smoking weed, i used to smoke a lot of weed and always had acid reflux and just figured it was something i had. then i went on a t break for about 3 months, just started smoking again and acid reflux is back! i never had it once through the whole t break. i did some googling and i actually found weed can be used to HELP acid reflux so now im really confused :confused:[/quote]

When I take beast hits I gag and if I take a lot of them I even puke it sucks

14. It seems to unsettle my stomach if im even slightly hungry before smoking, then afterwards i get that insane hungry heartburn feeling.

15. I have bad acid reflux too, and it is from smoking weed. Everytime I quit, I dont' get it at all. But when I'm smoking on a regular basis I get it everyday. Eating late at night can cause this too, stay away from acidic foods, drink milk and stop with the soda. And if you are havingtrouble sleeping bc of this, lay on your right side, your stomach is on the left so it doesn't allow the acid to come up your throat and bother you...hope this helps!

16. could it also be that some smoke is accidentally getting into your stomach? that would certainly churn things up. its happened to me before

17. Marihuana CAN make acid reflux worse or even generate it. Read my other post about it. If you suffer from low stomach acid (which is almost the totality of reflux cases), THC will make you worst because it will further reduce acid segregation in your belly.

Smoking it gives a temporary relief, just like eating, and then you go back to feeling sick again. Or it can make you feel bad right away after smoking.

I love smoking, so I use Betaine HCL in the middle of the two main meals and it helps me a lot. I am, though, aware that's just a palliative and that I should smoke less.

There are several countermeasures. Bitters for example ( chichorium) or a sip of Fernet Branca (I use grappa alla genziana) before meals will stimulate your stomach acid segregation.

Read my other post (this is my second post, won't be hard to find) about tests you can do to know what's going on and some resources to get to the root of your condition.

18. Acid reflux never happened to me after smoking. I rarely get it. Sounds like u have a problem

19. Well, of course, my response goes for those of us with the issue. Lucky you!!

20. You can be sure the majority of things making your acid reflux worse is cause by the things you ingest. Anything acidic (fruits, soda's, juice, etc) will almost always make it worse. I've had acid reflux for 10 years now and the thing that gets me the worst is alcohol. With that said, I have noticed that coughing from smoking, especially deep or excessive coughing can kinda activate my reflux.