Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why does my throat burn so much from my pipe?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CVV1, Aug 11, 2009.

1. My pipe is an absolute bitch to hit, it burns my throat. Is there anyway to fix it? Am I packing to loosely? Lighter technique? Pipe too small?

lol, stoner idea: Could I put my pipe in the freezer for a bit and then hit it for a slightly cooler hit? :p

2. first, don't put your pipe in the freezer. when you take it out and light it, the drastic variation in temperature (freezer to flame) will cause the glass to crack and/or shatter.

second, you are inhaling the combustion products of a flaming material, of course that is going to burn your throat.

i'd say your best bet would be to get a bong. if you can't, at least get a longer/larger pipe so the smoke can cool down some before hitting your throat.

also, i think this tends to happen to many newer smokers. my GF experienced it for a bit but after toking for a while, she is pretty much over it. with enough smoking, your throat will eventually callous, for lack of a better word, or toughen up to the harshness of the smoke and you will no longer experience the burn.

3. #3 SwiftBlaze, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    g

4. Ahaha, I figured the glass would break. But, thanks for the help, appreciate it, I figure I'll just suck it into my mouth first and inhale quickly.

5. Try to exhale your hit slower

For me, the only time my throat burns is when i exhale too quick

6. Yeah bowl hits are harsh plus you still got virgin lungs, but you'll get over it. Like was already

said you need to step up to a bubbler or bong, or better yet a vaporizer. Save up for a

bubbler that's the next setup they aren't to expensive.

7. Those areb't stealthy enough, still living with the parentals.

They buy me food, you know.

8. i would assume that the burning feeling is because you are lighting shit on fire and inhaling it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. That nasty feeling you get is probably burning plant matter having sex with your tonsils.

10. Cannabis is the best my tonsils have ever had :smoke:

11. #11 MaltedGrapez, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
    yup, lol. I smoke from my spoon the majority of the time, basically all the time, and my throat never really burns nor do I ever cough anymore. The only thing that ever burns my throat is smoking multiple joints/blunts/dry bowls.

Just got get used to it bro!

12. Ugh, I personally hate just plain pipes... Why not spend the extra money and get a bubbler? The reason your throat is so hot is because the smoke is not getting cooled by anything. My bubbler always gets compliments about how smooth the hit is and how hard it hits.

Also, saying the best part is how harsh it is, well, has to be the most mentally insane comment ever, thats like saying "Oh the best part of a flame is touching it"

13. Just take smaller hits, and have some cold water around, always stay hydrated, it usually keeps you from spitting fire. :p

14. the best part of the flame IS touching it, DUH!!:p

15. Th best part is touching the flame to the herb

16. Inhale slowly.

17. Anytime I'm closer to the hit itself (i.e. in a pipe, joint, etc) it burns a LOT more. If you want to avoid the burn a bit try getting a bong. The extra space (and filtration) between you and the bowl will help a lot.

18. Well before actually inhaling, just keep the smoke in your mouth, then take it in with some air. This helps to cool it down as to just taking in the hot smoke.

Its the same with me for joints

19. could be dirt inside the pipe, or your inhaling too fast

20. Exactly. The first 5-6 times its going to suck smoking out of a spoon