Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How did weed come about being called Mary Jane

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by breadforwar, Apr 17, 2009.

1. This has been eating away at me for some time now how did weed come about being called Mary Jane?

2. Spanish slang for marijuana - "mari" + "juana" = mary + jane... or something

3. k thanks bro

4. MariJuana

The M + J People call it MJ so then they just made new names for the M and the J.. pretty simple.

5. what he said

:hello:

6. Sort of. Mexicans called it marihuana(obv), which loosely translates into Mari-Mary Huana-Jane. We all know what happened then.

7. um according to my friend's book that i've read,its named after Mary and John, Jesus's mother and deciple. in spanish its Maria & Juan = marijuana. Thats what spanish explorerers called it when they brought the plant over to latin america.

8. it was discovered by Spanish explorer Mary Jane. Fact.

9. Lies. It was discovered by a spanish woman whose name was Cana but she called herself Canna because she thought she was worthy of 2 n's, not one. one day in the forest she discovered the plant, and named it Cannabis, cause when she smoked it she knew it was worthy of not just 2 n's, but also a b-i-s.

10. well everyone knows that :rolleyes:

we were talking about mary jane though. pretty sure its a product of spanish translation and slang

11. Everyone in this thread sounds high as fuck :smoking:

12. and it's just a sweet way to refer to tree :p

"lovin' on some Mary Jaaaaaaane.: :D

13. haha, seriously :hello:

14. Weird how you couldn't figure that one out. How 'bout that.

15. This unfounded. The only evidence in support of this is (online)is a shaky wiki bibliography entry that actually doesn't exist. What I mean is, the United Nations Bulletin on Narcotics, 1951 Part 3 Page 36 does not exist. Ok ok, it actually DOES exist but has nothing to do with Marijuana or Spain bringing it there first, it's about Morphine and how they experimented on animals. They also have every single Bulletin from 1949 up until current (except the magical Marijuana New World entry by the Spainiards in the name of Catholisicm one). See for yourself:

UNODC - Bulletin on Narcotics - Index - 1951 Issue 3

While it does make sense that the Spanish tried to inundate the Native Indians with Catholisicm once again(For those who don't know, 1545 is at the tail end of the Spanish Inquisition), I personally do not believe that they named Cannibas after Mary and John. The name Juana loosely translates to Jane/Jane, not John which is a maelle name. It is also an abbreviated form of a popular Mexican female name: Juanita. Language barriers and damaged relationships with previous Spanish explorers, in my opinion, would prohibit the spread of a Nickname of a generally unknown substance during a time when information did not travel as fast as it does now.

Also, Latin America is a broad and sweeping term. I know you meant South America and more specifically Chile and the exploration of Pedro de Valdivia during the 1540-50's.