Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What causes red eyes?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Tinkerbell26, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Ok i see a few post about mj making your eyes red. Ive heard that mj doesnt make your eyes red and that its a myth. Ive heard it makes your eyes red bc of raised blood pressure. Ive also heard its the smoke that irritates your eyes as well. Well ive hardly ever gotten red eyes when i smoked mj just glazed over looking eyes. What is it with mj that causes eyes to become red? Is it dehydration? If thats the case then maybe its bc i drink a LOT of water and thats why my eyes dont get red.:confused:

2. i want to know the same thing. My eyes get BLOOD RED, when ever i blaze and they get worse as my high progresses.

3. I dont know exactly what causes your eyes to get red or however they get(diff for evryone i suppose), but its generally just one of the qualities of weed.

Bear in mind, not everyones eyes get red when they smoke.
    Many people get squinty, or "chinese eyes" as I like to call it.
    And some poeple dont see any changes at all.

Drinking lots of water is good, even if it isnt dehydration cuasing them to get red, helps with a lot of things while smoking.

I have alos pondered this while high, it would be interesting to know exactly why this happens to so many people.

4. It has to do with the constriction of blood vessels in the eyes from the THC. Same reason why your heart rate goes up when you smoke. Products like Visine and Rhoto V try to get the blood flowing again so all the blood doesn't just sit in your eyes.

5. Cannabis is a vasodialator, meaning it causes your blood vessels to expand. This happens to the veins in yours eyes, thus causing red eye

6. What I find really wierd about red eye is that for the first 3 or 4 years I was smoking I almost never got red eye unless I smoked a bunch. Now I smoke a bowl or two and my eyes are red as fuck, anybody know why the sudden change?

7. weed opens up ur veins in ur eyes. some weed affect redness more than others

8. going without sleep makes me look like death when i smoke. i got all pale and dark eyed

9. all I know is that when I'm high I cannot put eyedrops in my eyes for the life of me, my coordination is horrible. I always drop it on my eyebrow or my face, my mouth lol.

10. its seems that my eyes dont get red unless i cough alot from some dank bud. ive heard coughing causes it. not sure if its true tho

11. i always heard it's the dehydration mostly. that's why i always have water when i smoke

12. I've only been high once, I didn't get red eyes, but my mate did. While we were smoking, I found I coughed more than him (he's a singer and has big lungs) and when I coughed I drunk a lot of water. No way I'd be able to use eye drops, I couldn't even pack another bowl, haha.

13. Elevated blood pressure
    Smoke Irritation
    Makes your veins bigger

Happy Toking.:smoke:

14. guys this one is easy i can't understand how some of you don't know. smoking weed causes red eyes. close the thread.

15. Yup, the vasodilation effect from MJ causes the capillaries in your eyes to expand in diameter...which makes their natural red tint more visible against the sclera (the whites of your eyes), hence the "red eye" effect.

Redness reliever eye drops work the opposite way by vasoconstricting blood vessels, thus decreasing their size, and the amount of red you can see against the sclera of the eyes....more white, less red.

Not too sure that elevated blood pressure has a great effect on redness of the eyes. MJ is proven to be effective at lowering intraocular pressure of the eye in glaucoma patients and intraocular pressure and blood pressure are most often (not always) linked. Plus I can think of times when i've elevated my blood pressure WAY beyond that which smoking MJ would, and yet my eyes weren't very red as a result (strenuous exercise anyone?).

16. my eyes just get glazed over and kinda have a grey look where it should be white.its weird.so i use visine.it helps a lot

17. my eyes very rarely get red...they usually just glaze over a LOT and get droopy...if they ever do get red its a while after i smoke...but i wear contacts too so once the glazed look fades they get really dry and sometimes red...sorry for the rambling haha not sure if im making much sense right now!:eek:

18. Hmm. I get C hinkeye,(not being racist..) red eye, and my eyes seem to change color (greenish yellow type deal to a dull vibrant blue) when I'm high. It is very strange.

Happy Toking.:smoking:

EDIT FOR: ***** eye.