Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana=Stupid

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Joe Dank, Feb 26, 2012.

1. I'm a fairly responsible adult. I have a wife, two kids and a decent job. I also smoke a good amount of marijuana as often as I can because well... I enjoy it. And contrary to how I feel sometimes, I am not stupid. My question is.. Do you believe there will be a time when marijuana looses its reputation on how it turns people dumb? Or will some people always remain ignorant to the truth? Now when I say dumb I don't mean short term dumb while your high.. I'm talking about "reefer madness" pot causes permanant brain damage dumb.

2. Well you seem to be a fair bit older than me so you probably have a better guage of this than i do, but it seems like it's been steadily losing that reputation for decades. Of course there will always be critics just like in anything but the numbers will continue to get smaller and smaller. I mean walking around any college campus these days weed is almost as if not as acceptable as drinking.

just look at this graph. Now i'm about as big of a critic of our political system as there is, but if there is one thing you can be sure of it's that there will always be a candidate jumping up to support what a large group of people wants. Logically, the numbers for legalization should continue to grow and it's only a matter of time before politicians are forced to take that stance as well. The only question then is exactly how long will that take? Sadly i can't think of any other issue that is quite like this one so i don't think there's really any precedent. But i don't think politicians can continue fighting legalization for long when the majority of the people they represent want it legal.

graph:
    [​IMG]

My conservative guess would be, give it between 10-15 years.

3. that's what they said in the 60's :p
    but I'm still optimistic tho , I don't think it'll be that long :smoke:

4. yeah but the support for legalization wasn't at 50%, the graph doesn't go back that far but if you extrapolate the support for legalization was probably less than 10%. This is the first time in history that a higher percent of americans support legalization than oppose it. we should be thankful we get to live in such a time.

5. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.

6. [quote name='"john9"']When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.[/quote]

Amen.

7. If Ron Paul is elected( He's in 2nd now) it will be legal in 3

It wont, the people just have to go out and support Ron Paul, we need to actually have the freedoms the United States were brought upon.

Also the bad rep has been going down since many famous people have came out stating that they had used it. Once people find out the truth they are still going to deny, it's just their opinion and majority of people are extremely one sided on marijuana. I've showed many people the truth and misconceptions but if you don't agree with it nothings going to change your mind, vis versa.

8. I think a lot of the change in opinion is due to the internet..information becomes way more accesible for everyone and suddenly people begin to see that weed isn't as bad as they thought. just look at that geaph, in the last ten years when the internet exploded the support for legalization was growing faster than ever.

9. I've seriously never understood this definite MYTH, i mean, maybe i'm slower when high, but when i'm high, if anything, i talk about more complicated subjects than when sober, i don't get where this stupid thing came from

10. #10 mister stash, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
    I think that the more people learn about marijuana, the more they will see that it doesn't make you dumb or harm you, it enhances the quality of life.

11. This. Sometimes i'm like, god i'm always smoking, should i stop? but it doesn't stop me doing things, and it makes me happy, so fuck it, if it was crack that was making me happy, i'd kick the addiction despite it making me happy, but weed doesn't affect me in any negative way

12. When there's a new wave of people who see past the lies. Most people have been brought up there whole livs beileiving it's soooo bad there's no reversing that brainwash.

13. Whenever someone tries to tell me that weed makes you brain dead, I am in fact strangling them in my mind, fucking their mother while i'm doing so.

14. Are you wearing a black leather mask too? Lol

15. Sweetie, let's put it this way... I have toked for over 40 years and I read PubMed as a hobby! Not all of these are studies, but they are interesting to read, anyway!

Cannabis use and cognitive decline in persons under 65 years of age
    \t(full - 1999) \thttp://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabisUseAndCognitiveDecline.html

Current and former marijuana use: preliminary findings of a longitudinal study of effects on IQ in young adults (full - 2002) Current and former marijuana use: preliminary findings of a longitudinal study of effects on IQ in young adults

Cognitive Measures in Long-term Cannabis Users. (abst – 2002)
    Cognitive measures in long-term cannabis us... [J Clin Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Heavy cannabis use without long-term effect on global intelligence (news - 2002)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently (news - 2002)
    Marijuana does not dent IQ permanently - 08 April 2002 - New Scientist

Acute effects of smoked marijuana on decision making, as assessed by a modified gambling task, in experienced marijuana users (abst - 2007) Taylor & Francis Online :: Acute effects of smoked marijuana on decision making, as assessed by a modified gambling task, in experienced marijuana users* - Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology - Volume 29, Issue 4

Cannabis Intoxication Does Not Adversely Impact Decision Making
    (news - 2007) Illinois NORML - Cannabis Intoxication Does Not Adversely Impact Decision Making

Neurocognitive performance during acute THC intoxication in heavy and occasional cannabis users. (abst - 2008)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Neurocognitive performance during acute THC intoxication in heavy and occasional cannabis users. PubMed Journal article

Review: executive functioning and cannabis use. (abst - 2008)
    Unbound MEDLINE | [Review: executive functioning and cannabis use]. PubMed Journal article abstract

“Stoner Stupid” Myth Goes Up In Smoke (news – 2011)
    â€ËœStoner Stupidâ€â„¢ Myth Goes Up In Smoke | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Pot smoking not tied to middle-age mental decline (news – 2012)
    Pot smoking not tied to middle-age mental decline | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Want more? Send me an email (bottom of my sig), or PM me your email! I have a collection of over 670 pages of links like those above! I give it away FREE for the asking!

Granny

16. I have two kids, been married for four years, have held two jobs for eight months working 60-80 hours a week. Before these two jobs I have held two other jobs for long stints of time.

The MYTH that weed makes you stupid or causes brain damage is just absurd. I have my moments where I zone out just enjoying my high but I can always carry on a conversation, take care of my kids, do my job or whatever else needs handling. I have done everything from small menial tasks to large projects that need constant attention while being completely medicated and never missed a beat.

I don't know if it was on this forum or not but I saw a post of a gentleman wondering what kind of jobs people have while smoking weed. The vast majority of those posts were well educated stoners making good money and loving every minute of it.

I HATE being labeled as a "Stoner or Burnout". With my day-to-day jobs I see plenty of people that are truly clueless to the world and are the ideal candidate for the "Reefer Madness" show lol!

I think the biggest struggle that responsible smokers have is the NON-responsible smokers. All it takes is one idiot to go smoke and then commit a crime or do something irresponsible and it takes a chunk right out of our movement. Enough of my ranting just a sensitive subject for me as I am sure it is for some of you.

No need to mention that everyone here should be responsible with their smoking! Keep it away from your kids, don't drive around while medicated. Take the same precautions as alcohol in my opinion. God bless!