Best/Most practical fighting style for REAL LIFE

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by smoke blunts, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Hey GC,

I've trained Krav Maga & BJJ before (both for 5 months- they were a 6month commitment but I ended up messing up my knee and got the final month refunded).

What would you guys say is the BEST fighting style for real life? And by that I mean you can basically be fully confident that no one would ever be able to fuck with you without a serious weapon.

I loved my brief time in the MMA world and am getting into the best shape of my life, and I'm usually very good at things I devote a lot of my time to, so any suggestions would be helpful. Always been interested in:

1. Muay Thai
    2. Capoeira (not sure how practical this really is)
    3. Judo
    4. Hapkido

Or should I stick with Krav Maga & BJJ?

Thoughts?

2. Ive watched a shit ton of MMA in my day so im just going to give and educated guess. I think it would be Muay Thai one you use ur fist, knees, elbows, feet. And u also can work the thai clinch. But as soon as he reach a high level your hands are lethal weapson so u can be going around as anderson silva and beating the shit outta ppl. Im sure its propally some old chinnese fighting style that has killer death blows or some shit. But hell if i would learn any mma it would be muay thai and bjj

3. it depends on the person i neva did muai thai that seems the most instrestin with Bruce lee style i think its jeet kun do or somethin of the sorts, me personally Tae Kwon Do is that shit using arms and legs esp kickin

4. is running away a style of fighting?

5. dude, someone, somewhere will always be able to kick your ass.

i'm just happy having the basics - something that most people don't have. and i haven't had my ass kicked.

6. Yeah there is always someone out there that has your card. That being said Mauy Thai and boxing, I've seen people try to pull subs in street fights and get fucked up, I've also seen people try to wrestle and get jumped.

7. Good post. Boxing is essential, if you don't know how to block strikes, how to move your head/feet, you will get DROPPED by anyone who knows how to punch. Learn some combos and how to set them up with faints, etc. Muy thai will just elaborate on that and bring in kicks, knees, elbow strikes, stuff other than just punching.

You're right about the grappling in a street fight especially if there's other people around. That's a really good way to get kicked in the face and stomped on. If you're alone against the guy though a take down wouldn't be a bad idea if he's around your size. 6 months of bjj would give you a huge advantage over 99% of people on the ground.

8. I've yet to see anyone get up and want to carry on fighting after I've headbut them. Scottish style :)

9. To be clear, this isn't for me to go around picking fights. I would just love to learn a style that would aid in turning myself into a killing machine (just joking around). I don't ever see myself becoming a serious fighter of any sorts, just wanted to learn and figured it would be fun.

10. smoke blunts, you need to watch this scene. It is from the best movie ever Ong Bak.

Muay Thai

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuqV1RWDhXc&feature=search]YouTube - ong bak fight club[/ame]

11. i personally study kyokushin....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAaBi9oXs0]YouTube - Kyokushin Karate Legends : Sosai Oyama[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dao3gEEYEBc&feature=fvw]YouTube - Kyokushin Karate : The Ultimate Fighter[/ame]

12. People say Jiu jitsu isnt effective in street fights I think thats ridiculous. In a 1 on 1 street fight a trained BJJ guy will easy choke out an untrained bum.

Any martial art will give you an advantage over an untrained opponent. Any MA that incorporates hard hard sparring would be best.

Stick with BJJ because its the most fun and you dont get beat up that much compared to boxing/muay thai :D

13. Whilst I agree that any fighting style will always help to some extent, to truly be able to handle yourself on the street you need to have some balls and no compassion when the other person goes down. Headbutting, scratching, poking eyes out, knee,kick,punch to the balls, biting cheeks/noses... all these are perfectly valid techniques on the street. The next and usually ONLY reason you will ever win a street fight, HIT FIRST! Don't pussy around sticking your chest out looking like a fighting cock, all that does is tell me you're getting wound up and will sooner or later throw a punch.

The most effective form of self defense I've ever used is talking, it's significantly more healthy than fighting your way out of a situation :)

14. Gun Fighting...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMeooVB3olE]YouTube - Indiana Jones is a Bad Ass[/ame]

15. I never trained in any kind of martial art, I just hit where the dude isn't blocking. Used to work pretty well.

16. Well, since the first rule of fighting is to never underestimate your opponent, I'm going to have to say that being well-armed is the best fighting "style".

Other than that, it really doesn't matter what "style" anyone has, because if I feel my life is threatened, I'm probably going to start with a nice kick to the balls anyway. Then I'll crush your knee in, and finish with a boot to the head.

The point is fighting "styles" only stay "stylish" in the movies and in the ring. If you're truly in a fight, it usually starts and always ends with the same style: Dirty.

17. But someone who practiced a martial art that had hard sparring would be at a huge advantage over you.

18. ok guys.......

reality is....

training in a competent martial art will teach you a few things that are more then helpfull in a fight.....

first would be....BODY MECHANICS this means "how your body is made to move, in order to generate the most power"

next would be"where to hit a mutherfucker in order to do the most damage!"
    or where all the "week" points are......

the combination of these two things and the physical conditioning of constant training..... this is what you take from training into a "real" fight....

19. in kyokishin we dont do any "point" sparing....full contact no pads....no gloves.....knock down/knock out!;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p3WrgbSCEM]YouTube - Kyokushin Karate Jodan Mawashi Geri KOs[/ame]