Crashed Ice is a real weird sport - its downhill ice skating

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Arob, Nov 23, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    Crashed Ice is a race down 500 meters of ice ramps - its like downhill skiing meets speed skating. Sponsored by Red Bull, the new activity is real popular with hockey players who wear all their equipment (padding, helmet etc) when they do the runs. This year the 2013 tour kicks off in Niagara Falls Ontario on Saturday December 1st, 2012 at 7pm just a few hundred meters from the actual falling water, which you can expect to see all lit up in colour at night - the skyline should be quite a spectacle.

[​IMG]

There will be 80,000 people there, crowding around 500 meters of frozen track.
    [​IMG]
    This is a free event and very exciting to watch... which is probably why its gaining such popularity...

Have you ever tried this? Would you? What do you think of this new sport?

2. Sounds crazy. I'd definitely give it a watch. Lol

3. I love ice skating but Idk if I'd do that.. seems like they're begging to die. I'll just stick to normal ice skating and roller blading :p I'd definitely watch it though

4. Yup this, Just as I was reading it I was thinking wow the fatality rate might be high on this one . Red Bull corps getting off to backing up extreme sports shit now . Been seeing em gettin mad promo lately

5. [quote name='"Kooz"']

Yup this, Just as I was reading it I was thinking wow the fatality rate might be high on this one . Red Bull corps getting off to backing up extreme sports shit now . Been seeing em gettin mad promo lately[/quote]

Probably because nobody wants to buy Red Bull any more. Seems like the energy drink craze is over for the most part, and people are back on coffee. Except kids still in high school.

6. Red bull sales are still going strong in dance clubs. Every sorority girl in the country loves their red bull vodkas.

7. [​IMG]

8. Id definitely love to try this. I don't think it's as dangerous as you guys think. From the stuff I've seen the padding on the walls does a good job and it's not like these guys are going fast enough to die.

9. I still drink redbull and I'm not in high school

10. I was more or less talking about getting sliced up by the blades from the skates

11. [quote name='"Kooz"']

I was more or less talking about getting sliced up by the blades from the skates[/quote]

I suppose it could happen.

I wonder how a person would practice for this. Not like there's a downhill ice skating course in every city.

Maybe they could just freeze a water slide for a 1 person course.