Where can I buy a good quality skateboard for under 70 dollars?

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by blazemore, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hey guys I want to own a skateboard for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE that isn't from Wal Mart. Lmfao where can I buy one that is good quality for a decent price?:rolleyes:

2. local skate shop man or skateamerica.com, ccs.com all under 70 for just the deck

3. Go to any skate shop or online shop. Get a blank deck and blank wheels and it'll definitely be under 70. A blank deck is like 20 bucks compared to 50 if you want to pay for just the brand it is.

4. if you're just looking for a skateboard deck, you can't really beat churchill manufacturing. They sell blanks for 20 bucks....Good quality too.

5. #7 blazemore, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    If I buy my own parts, what should I look out for? I think I would prefer a wheel on the larger side and also quicker bearings so i can move faster but I don't know much about the difference of parts. Could anyone shed some light on this?

I just found some good decks on amazon and there is a selection of 8"-8.75", what size would any of you recommend and why?
    I want a board that is lightweight and easy to ollie.

6. #8 ~Blu, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
    This is a little kids mini board :laughing:

Go to the local skateshop... They will take care of you no doubt, and if you want to skate you should start thinking about supporting the skate community and your local shop.

you can get a shop deck or a blank there for $30-$40. Since you are over 18 and I'm assuming you're talking about a street board and you are an average sized athletic male I would get a size that is around an 8.0". Bigger than that things can get heavy for a beginner.

You could go cheap and get some venture trucks in a size 8" or more expensive and get Indies or Thunders in size 8". I've riden all of them and I would recommend the indies and thunders personally. Indies turn a little better/smoother and are heavier/stronger. Thunders have a little more control and are a little lighter. Trucks last about a year so it's worth it to spend the money I think.

You could get some shop wheels or blanks for cheap ~20, the cheap wheels in my experience behave differently than the expensive ones like bones STF and spitfire street burners which give up some grip for a more controlled slide, but those are ~30. I recommend size 50-54mm for street only, and size +54mm for transition/park/pools. I ride 53mm, most seem to ride 52mm. Look for a wheel that is not too narrow or too wide, and isn't square, instead has an almost oval shape. These are ideal for most types of coping. I recommend Redz bearings by bones. ~$20 and they work, long and hard. This is the only bearing I ride, never had a problems or complaints in 10 years.

7. Local shop. You might have to pay a little more than 70, maybe closer to 90. But it will be a nice, decent deck that will last you a while.

8. I was just going to build one I would get on ccs and saw they have ones starting out at 69.99.

It's that price if you get ccs everything. But I would suggest getting Redz bearings instead. And I picked out black magic tape because it's what I've always used. Total came out to 77.99 which isnt't bad.

Shit I might get back into skating again now. Was going to start riding (bmx) again but I need about $200+ in new parts.

9. i heard girl(brand) skateboards are good for ollies, but they'll cost you usually 50$ or more for the deck

10. [quote name='"SuperSkunk64"']

i heard girl(brand) skateboards are good for ollies[/quote]

Hahahahahaha

11. Im sure the brand just uses a lighter type of wood. I'm happy with just a blank for now it's all the same shit

12. #14 kancastank, Jul 9, 2012
    If youre looking for a real legit skateboard, you are probably looking at over 100 bucks. Definately hit up a local skate shop, dont go tozumies.

As for wheels, you said you want them on the larger side. What kind of skating will you be doing mostly? Street, bowl riding, or just cruising? 50-52 mm are good for street tricks cuz its easier to do tricks on smaller wheels, but if youre looking to cruise bowls and shit go with 54-56 at least.

For board size i would start offf at an 8 and maybe for your next board either go up a size to like a 8.1 or 8.2 or go down to like a 7.75. You will grow preferences after skating a while. An 8 is on the wider side, youll be more stable and be able to land higher stuff, but its a lot easier to learn to flick the board with a skinnier size. Good luck man

13. #15 Mogwai, Jul 9, 2012
    Go Popwar. They have the best pop (pop= high ollies and tricks). Baker has the next best pop in my experience but they have shitty durability. Girl has shitty pop in my experience. It wears away fast and isn't that great to begin with. I've only slated a few Girls though so I may be off... but at best they're seriously hit or miss, whereas every popwar is amazing.

but really it doesn't matter. Any "pro" board will do you well. Each company for the most part offers their own pros and cons. They do things *slighly* better and worse than others. What works best for you depends on preference. However when you're just starting you haven't developed a real preference yet. Any real board will work for learning basics such as weight distribution and basic tricks like ollies, shoves, and the like. And it's not like you'll skate it hard enough for pop or durability to matter.

But I have mad love for popwar because they carried me from learning kickflips to 360 flips and hardflips to double hardflips, and a ton of other technical tricks. I've tried so many companies, and they are by far the best haha. They're out of business now but you can still find them online.

But really, just determine a budget (not much to work with as most all pro decks cost around the same) and a width (if you have small feet look at a 7.5, if they're big look at 7.75 or an 8 if they're huge).. then once you narrow that down just pick what looks cool...