true aeroponics. how to start a plant from seed?. no medium?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by seed-to-lung, Jun 16, 2011.

1. so i've recently started a grow and want to transition into true aeroponics! how owuld i go about starting a seed and still not use a growing medium neoprene discs after paper towel method? any advise welcome :D

2. Seed-to-lung: It's stands to reason that you're going to have to have something to support the seed's initial growth; a grow plug, (like rapid rooter), or a rock wool cube. From there you can suspend it in a net basket and spray it with nutes. The couple of systems I've seen had plugs stabilized in Hydroton balls or grow rocks supporting them in the net basket. One guy used glass marbles like you see in aquariums. Also you need to know that you're usually talking about growing relatively short strains or you'll have some serious trellising issues.

3. Or you can use a net some hydroton pebbles so no medium still

4. Freshfed: I think it's just a lot easier to get it started with one of those plugs I mentioned. Hank

5. #5 Freshfed, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah it would be, little rock wool etc I was only suggesting as I thought he wanted a method with zero medium. Or perhaps, start of in coco then gently rinse it off roots before transplant. Although stress can be induced. I agree though that a little starter cube is a safe bet.

6. thanks for the input guys i will be getting some plugs for my next grow as i would like to start from seed and have a mother in another room

7. #7 Freshfed, Jun 20, 2011
    Hmm why don't you put your mother in coco and just clone her, put clones straight into neoprene collars with no medium, just suspended stalk?

8. yea thats where im hoping to go with it

9. #9 Freshfed, Jun 20, 2011
    Sweet, I'm taking clones today from my veg space and trying to root in aero! Check out the thread, just started it!

10. Seedtolung: I don't remember what month's issue it was but there was an excellent article in "HIGH TIMES" magazine on seed propagation from just about every angle. I look over my old issues from time to time in the bathroom and it's amazing how much more you can learn the second time around. It would be a must read for just about anyone interested in seed propagation. Cervantes also dose a good job in his book. Hank

11. i've done this before with no problems. however there are benefits to using a small amount of medium at the root base. if your system runs out of water, the medium will still be holding some water and will save your plants vs having them all wiped out. they get started much much faster with no medium though.