Topped a budding cutting and got 6+ sprouts

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Sirclogsalot, Nov 18, 2009.

1. #1 Sirclogsalot, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    Hey. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen before or if this is any kind of a known technique. I got a cutting from a friend. It was no more than 4-5 inches tall. I have been converting back to vegetative state, once it started growing a little bit more i topped it once. (The thing is still covered it little buds and trichomes). After topping it once it sprouted I would have to say atleast 6 new growths. I can try and put a picture up if anyone is interested. The plant is under 5 inches tall.

2. Putting a flower back in veg sends of dozens of new bud shoots, I think it's called monster cropping?

3. Thats one name for it.

Theory is take the cutting on day 21 of a flowering plant and re-veg it. It will then branch like crazy, the OP hasn't seen anything yet.

4. This plant is going to be my mother plant, but I would like to do this again as I'm growing in a very confined space. If i can have it branching out this much this quickley it might be worth it. 21 one days on 12/12 light and then top the little guy? Anything else i should know?

5. you should post some pics....

6. Ill post some picks just as soon as i'm back with the little lady. that should be on sunday. I'm gettin lots of growth, and I might just be growin a little fond of this technique. I growin it in a large mini fridge with led and cfls, so gettin all this growth this early is promising. It's also an interesting strain, purple pixie.... The leaves and stems seem to be different than most things i have seen

7. Why the hell would you TOP a budding plant!!!!!???? Just take a bottom cutting, why would you ruin your main cola for a clone..?

8. you are not ruining any thing, You take the top of the plant, all the lower branches will shoot up thinking there top shoots, They might not be as big, but It can and usually does yield more.

1 way of growing with out keeping mothers is.. 2 weeks before you bud your plant, cut the clone from the TOP and put the plant in to budding, so Bytime the plant is done budding you have a new plant to go in. and repeat the cycle.

9. #9 halitzor, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2009
    Whatever you say buddy.

Topping a plant 21 days into flower, ESPECIALLY a fast flowering indica is going to hurt your yield.

There is absolutely no reason to cut off 21 days worth of growth when you can just take a bottom cutting and get the exact same result.

By all means, go ahead and screw up your plants potential when you can do it a favor by INSTEAD removing a bottom branch and getting the exact same result.

FYI, its also more likely to root a bottom soft brach than the top shoot that has begon to harden. There is absolutely no denying that.

10. cloner and halitzor need to battle this out, fight to the death!

11. I think you are mis-understanding what exactly he's topping. He's not cutting the top off the plant he got his cutting from, he's topping the cutting itself, which was taken from a bottom branch.

12. Thanks for explaining that budrow. I read through that a few times and someone wasn't understanding what was goin on. Anyway ill post a picture or two tonight. This cutting will be my mother plant and ill be taking cuttings off of her. I'm in an apartment and growing in a fridge, This seems like it will be a good technique for what I'm doing, I need lots of branching in as small an area as i can. I would consider looking into some low rider strains, but i got this cutting for free.... So why not get a mother goin of purple pixie and get some other strains when I get the time. Im in bellingham, i really need to take a drive up to vancouver. that should happen around christmas hopefully

13. #13 cloner_357, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009

Hey buddy... I never said any thing about 21 days.. :\ Infact I said 2 weeks before.

You brought up the 21 day thing.
    :rolleyes:

14. Are you retarded? The OP already stated this is from a BUDDING PLANT?

15. ok, i'll clear this up for you, i use this technique every year in my outdoor grow-ops. if you're planning a big outdoor crop you start off say 8 plants indoors, sex them so your down to around 4 FEMALES, after you have all of them sexed, (usually around 2 weeks between your first and last plants showing) you re-veg and hack the plant to hell getting as many clones off as possible. hence you have a shit ton of tiny clones with chunks of bud on them and they grow into super-bush's i had one last year that was 6 ft tall and 8 ft wide.

16. does this monster cropping work as good as your all saying ??, if soo i think i be will trying this on my grow i have underway

17. it's really weird how they grow, on the monster one i explained there we're about 8 branches that came out where the top nug was when it originally flowered, and if you looked at the stalk about 1 1/2 ft from the ground there we're about 8 brances within 2 inches of each other, the plants look like monsters.

...to tell you the truth tho, the only reason i sex them is to make sure my clones are female.

18. #18 Sirclogsalot, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
    Here are my couple of pictures. I really need to start tying the branches down but i havent made it to the store for thread. Ill try and continue post pictures. However like i said this is only my mother plant. It is going to take me a little while to actually get some producing plants

Attached Files:

19. Just got back after the long weekend and im very impressed with how quickley she is growin. And she has continued shooting new stems all over the place. Ill continue posting pictures if people are interested in seeing them

Attached Files:

20. Here's a good read in regard to Monster-Cropping (w/ pix)...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monster Cropping

Monster Cropping or Flowering Clones is another method of growing that was brought to my attention by one of our members; JWP, who also was kind enough to provide the pictures for this part of the guide. This method involves taking clones of flowering plants and then forcing them to root and re-veg, which eventually leads to very bushy plants with a great number of branches and nodes. I named this technique Monster Cropping because that is what you will get, real monster plants, but also because this method was introduced to the scene by a grower named greenmonster714. He in turn credits a grower named Feral for discovering this technique.

Taking clones from flowering plants goes against all that has been said about cloning cannabis and might therefore seem a bit confusing at first but the science behind the technique is sound and the results speak for themselves. ​

You start by taking clones of a plant that is about 21 days into flowering. This seems to be the best time to do it but you can also takes clones at a later stage with the same results. The lower branches make better clones as they have not yet become rigid and will also root faster and more easily than say the top cola. Move the new cutting into a glass of water and let it sit for a while in order to make sure that no air gets into the vascular system during handling, as this can be fatal to your new plant. You should make the cut so that it runs along the stem as this will increase the surface area for water and possibly nutrient uptake, depending on what method of cloning you use. Personally, I have found that using a small hydroponic setup or a propagation bubbler is by far the best way to clone cannabis plants. I will not expand on the subject of cloning here, if you need more information on how to clone your plants, have a look at the official cloning thread by JJScorpio

In the picture below, you can see how the clone from a flowering plant been has placed in a propagation bubbler for rooting and re-vegging. This also means that you will have to put the clone back under a veg light schedule of 18/6, 20/4 or even 24/0. Clones do not need strong light so a small CFL will do. You can remove some of the buds at this stage in order to encourage the plant to revert back into its vegetative cycle but leave the topmost flower alone.

[​IMG]

It will take several weeks for the clone to root, some never do, so it is best that you take a great number of clones at the same time in order to ensure that at least one makes it on to the next stage. It might be a good idea to place the clones inside a humidity dome, which can be bought at gardening stores or custom built for your specific needs. The high humidity inside the dome will make sure that the plants do not dry out and die. Ventilate the dome every day just to make sure that the plants don't get attacked by mold.

Keep in mind however that the most important thing when it comes to cloning is to provide the fresh cuttings with plenty of oxygen and that is why the propagation bubbler is so effective compared to other methods.

[​IMG]

The clones might be a sorry sight at first but as soon as they root, they will also revert back into the vegetative stage and start growing again. Once the clones have rooted properly and started growing again, they will put out single unserrated leaves at first but the normal leafs are soon to follow. It might be a good idea to apply some training at this stage, tying down some of the tops will encourage even more branching. You can also provide some heat underneath the clones as this will speed up the rooting process considerably.

When the plant starts growing again, the incredible branching power of the flowering clone becomes apparent.

[​IMG]

As you can see, this plant has grown into a real monster, and all this without ever topping the plant. That's the beauty of this technique; you can forget all about topping and FIM'ing since the flowering clone will sprout all these new branches all by itself.

This plant is now perfectly suited for a SCROG or perhaps even a SOG grow. This one plant can easily fill up an entire Scrog net in no time. Several of these plants grown in SOG will definitely give you a grand harvest.

There are other benefits from using this technique; it also removes the need for keeping mother plants. When the newly re-vegged plant is flowered, it can also provide more clones for a perpetual harvest. Recycling at its best. This might be of interest to those who need to keep down their number of plants.

Needless to say, this method is highly effective thanks to the heavy branching that occurs after a flowering clone is re-vegged. With further training and some patience, you will get some real monster plants and thereby also a monster harvest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Currently in my 1st attempt at using this method, but not too concerned about my clones since I just got some good seeds for a change. We'll see. ;)