my first aeroponics-srog project

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by tbirdgreen, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Hi there i have been reading this site for a bit. i decided to try a scrog project. i'm using 4 5g pails. with air pumps. my plan was to only grow 4. i would start one then 2 weeks later put another one into the flower room and so on.

so my plant 1 was in veg. about 2 months. the first 5 weeks was under florescent lights then i found a good 400mh. i started with 6 from seed (white widow)

i put 2 plant in the flower room and about a week later sexed them. one was female, so i got rid of the male.

this is week 2 and i put 2 more in the flower room i don't know there sex yet. but i just noticed today i think plant 1 is going hermaphrodite. i don`t know if i did something wrong or if its just the luck of the draw some times.

when i started i did light proof check my flower room so i don`t think its that. i turned the 400 mh on in the veg room and sat in the flower room in the dark to see if i could see light.

i`m keeping my pH at about 6 right now i just got the pH pen i was using the test liquid thing before.

i now plan on updating this as i go but first off how did i make it go hermaphrodite.

any tips on how to prevent the other ones....thanks.

i`m trying to attach pictures i don`t know if you can see the balls. i`m sure its becoming hermaphrodite i hope not but i think it is.....lol.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Plants go hermie due to either genes (hermie mother) or stress (light leaks).

Reduce the amount of stress your plant is under and it will lower the chances it will hermie.

3. well i don`t think i have a light leak. so i`m going to go with its from the mother.

i hope.

so this plant and its clones are no good ............(my key board is messed up i can`t do the question mark)

i`m using white buckets. but i didn`t tape them up. i thought that was only to prevent algie growth on the roots. could that cause stress on the plant to make it go hermie.

4. The hermie plant is no good to you anymore... if it is hermie -- The pics aren't clear enough to tell. Give it a few days to show itself to you before you chop it down. Pollen takes a few weeks to mature anyway, so you have time.

Light leaks are any type of light showing through during your dark cycle. Unless you are 100% sure you have absolutely zero light during your dark period, I'm willing to bet that's what caused it.

The white buckets would probably cause other types of problems, like root rot, I doubt it'd be the reason your plant went hermie.

5. well the hps comes on at 10am and off at 10pm so i`ll go in there tomorrow morning and see if i see light.

i have 2 accesses to the flower room so i can go in from the one side.

so with my plan of putting a new plant in every 2 weeks will this work. i just read to grow it till the fill the mesh then start 12-12h.

because right now the top is gently bent over and i`m hopping the lower branches catch up. i want to keep it even like the pictures i see on the net.

i was thinking if i cut the top of the plant or sucker as i know it or top it then the lower branches will catch up.

what do you think.

6. Just keep weaving the parts of the plant that grow past the screen back down through it. Once you have the screen filled (or as much as you want it filled) then switch to 12/12. No need to top.

7. well i just checked i don`t have a light leak in the room. how much light leak does it take. like what if i didn`t close the opening right one day.......maybe 2 days who knows. i`m going to ensure i guarantee the doors are closed right this weekend i`m going to go with velcrow.

8. It only takes a small sliver of light to mess up a crop. Leaving doors open / not sealed is just asking for hermies.

I doubt one night would be enough to hermie a plant, but anything more than that is risking it IMO.

9. i don`t want to sound like i`m arguing i always wondered like when they grow in the wild. under the moon light at night time....what effect does that have. i mean if there getting a small small amount of indirect light would that not be smiler to the moon light.....has anyone ever asked that question.....lol

but rest a sure i am listening and plan to make sure no uninvited light gets in.

10. The moon only produces something like 2 lumens per sq ft during a full moon, so it's a very very week light source and doesn't affect the plants photosynthesis much at all. I'm sure there are hermie plants outdoors though.

But that's one of the benefits of indoor growing, you get to control exactly how much light there is.

11. what are the odds that the clones i took before i started to flower this plant will be hermie too?

12. i was triming the lower leaves alot could that have caused the stress that could have made it go hermie too?

13. i would love to know the answer to this question as well!? Anyone?

14. Also tbirdgreen, what makes you think the plant hermied? maybe it was just a male to begin with...?

15. #15 HighOnTheHill, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
    As for your last 2 questions:

The odds of your clones being hermie too are near 100% They're an EXACT replica of the plant you took them from.

Pruning shouldn't cause them to stress enough to hermie out, it IS a common practice.

Now I have a question for you, since you're running HID lights... what type of ventilation do you have? Or rather, here's the question I'm really trying to ask. How's your temps? High temps cause stress and could cause your plants to hermie. You wanna try to keep them under 85* at all times.

Anyway, I don't wanna hijack the thread, but light leaks are a huge concern for me. My cab IS NOT light proof, I just try my best to keep it in a dark room. So Herbal, it'd be really sweet if you could check out my grow journal. Just fast forward to the very last page. I made a post on the indoor forum, but I have no idea where it's at. I DO have a small amount of light leaks. My last 2 posts should include enough information (as well as pics)

Edit: Forgot to mention my journal is linked in my sig :p Just in case you didn't notice. It's a soilless grow, 356w CFL veg, 400w HPS flower. 3x green monster and 3x strawberry haze. They're sitting in the 24-hour pre-flowering dark cycle. The lights come on tonight @ 8:00 for their first 12/12.

16. i had the white hairs and then the ball sack clusters under the buds.

i also look at pictures online too.

17. huh. well hermies do suck man. to bad it didnt happen later in the bud process so you could of got something off her.

18. i have the 6oow hps with the cool hood. i vent threw that into the other part of my basement room. but yes my room has hit the 86 mark a few times i have a fresh air intake from out side into the flower room and it has been hot outside here the past while.

i do have a fan blowing from my veg into my flower and the fresh air from out side to the flower room then the carbon filter blows threw the light out of the flower room.

i think i need a better fan then the one i have from the veg room to the flower. maybe it would help if i cold draw more air threw the veg into the flower. i'm going to see if i can find a cheap fan i'm using an inline dict fan from home dept. but its not enough (that's just the veg to flower fan) my carbon fan is 170cfm.

i also think like today the duct tape holding the duct to the 600 light came off. i'm going to buy gear clams to get a better seal. i hope that too cools my room.

so that might have been it.......temperature. thats somthing i'll work on today..

19. 86 isn't going to hurt. I've flowered in triple digit temps before. Got some HELLA fluffy bud, but it was bud nonetheless.

My personal "limit" is 88* I do aim for 85* but usually that extra couple inches closer to the bulb... a few degrees... a SHITLOAD more lumens. Usually worth it IMO. I honestly doubt that your temps are the problem. If they were 90+ i'd say that's a possibility.

anyway what you COULD do. This is a lot of effort, but! Cut off all the ball sacks. Check that fucker daily. Cut 'em off as they grow. It's a risk, but it's also another plant. But leave even ONE, or let even ONE open up... And you got a seeded crop.

20. well i killed it last night......i'm trying to get a cycle going where i put a new plant in every 2 weeks.

i was thinking that though cut the balls off every day......lol......but not worth hurting the next plant.

i have 2 new ones in now i don't know there sex, there about 7 days into flowering an i think i have one boy and one girl. but i'll kill the boy for sure and if the girl turns hermi then i'm going to pull my hair out...lol

the hermi i had was only about 3 weeks old.

i'll get this shit going one of these days...lol

this is my first grow in years i have grown 2 times before once was in dirt and the other was just 2 plants in the rubber made container with air bubbles.