Hydroponics

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Big Poppa Puff, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Post up your hydroponic questions in this forum please.

2. I guess what I want to know is what the difference is betwen hydro the strain and hydroponics. and is hydro not grown hydroponically.

3. Hydro is not a strain but the way it is grown!

It is grown with hydroponics.

4. k thanks i just got confused by some people on the city.

5. some people assume (falsely) that all hydro bud is supperior to soil. So they call good pot 'dro this is just a phrase. I would put my soil up againsat any hydro potency, look,taste,and smell wise, yeild....no way ever!!!

6. If you grew the same way, one plant soil one plant hydro, you think the hydro would come out better?

7. Yes, but alos the hydro would finish out quicker

8. is it possible to grow hydro just by putting a seed in a bowl of water. would it grow normally or would i need some special stuff.

9. Why don,t ya do a search and let us know the answers :D.

10. i no but what should i search exactly...

11. no it wouldn't work because a plant needs oxygen and with out an air pump there isn't ebough oxygen in the water for the roots to absorb.

12. It is my opinion and experience that growing semi-hydroponically, using potting soil as the medium, is cheapest and easiest.

Q: What? But growing hydroponically means growing without soil, right?
    A: Wrong!
    Hydro-: A prefix meaning water or liquid
    Geoponic: Of or relating to agriculture or farming

Generally people accept "Hydroponic" to mean "growing without soil" but it actually means "growing WITH water [or liquid]."

You still need something for the roots to anchor onto, and for the nutrient solution to drain from, so your plant can stand upright and your roots can breathe oxygen. Inert materials like vermiculite, perlite, rockwool, legos, etc. are usually used. Soil still works for this purpose. I say let nature have her say... soil it is!

SOIL PROs:

- Inexpensive!
    - Easy as pie
    - Easy as goddamn pie

SOIL CONs:
    - Messy (duh, it's dirt)
    - Slow growth
    - Growth SEVERELY limited by container size
    - Nutrient "hot" and "cold" spots (poorly mixed soil = poorly mixed nutrients)
    - Need to transplant frequently OR start with unweildy, large pots
    - Overwatering more possible
    - Nutrient quality is poor in cheap soil, and more expensive soils are.. well.. expensive.

HYDROPONIC PROs:

- Rapid growth
    - Container size still a limiting factor, but much less so (bigger plants in smaller containers for longer periods of time)
    - Full control over nutrient intake

HYDROPONIC CONs:

- expensive to set up
    - expensive to maintain (even self-maintaining hydroponic systems like continuous drip still need to be tested and adjusted frequently, unless you have years of experience, and they tend to be more prone to plant problems because of neglect).
    - Until you have a good system and proven formula down, you have to constantly adjust nutrient solution levels to your plants' needs. LOTS OF EFFORT HERE! I'm not kidding! Not for beginners.
    - pumps, pipes, power, timers, tubes, etc.
    - Fungus seems to be a more common problem than for soil-growers. Especially if you recirculate nutrient solution to save money.

There is a compromise. For about $2.50 USD per 10 dry quarts, you can buy cheap potting soil with time release nutrients already in it. It's not enough nutrients for the amount of watering your plants will need, especially during flowering, unless you want to CONSTANTLY transplant into bigger pots and add more soil. Instead, you can supplement the natural (and factory-added) nutrients that are in the soil by feeding with weak hydroponic solution every, say, third watering. For example, I use a complete soil with an N-P-K of .08-.12-.08 and every third watering, I supplement the water with Miracle Gro (when mixed as directed, has an N-P-K of .08-.07-.06). This results in, among other impressive specimens, a 2 foot tall plant in a 3" tall sawed-off 2 liter soda bottle (with decent internodal length), and only a tiny bit of purple spotting on some of the stems (the beginnings of Nitrogen deficiency). This is a plant that needs to be repotted now, but in plain soil it never would have gotten this far in a soda bottle.

Read everything you can, LOOK FOR AND READ MULTIPLE GROW GUIDES, MULTIPLE TIMES. There are plenty of good links in these forums. Everything I've learned about growing I've learned because of these forums (or links therein), albeit many months ago. It's not hard to become an adept grower with a little study-time and a little experience! Until then, here are some very basic tips:

Don't overwater, don't overfertilize (don't feed nutrient solution too often, it builds up in the soil and is flushed out by clean waterings), and most of all don't panic and overfertilize your plants if leaves start dying. They may be dying because you ALREADY overfertilized.

Anyway, I find this combination of soil and hydroponic techniques to require less effort and money than a hydroponic setup, but with similar results.

P.S. - I'm kidding about the legos. Good luck!

13. I agree with you on most point N2P2K, except for one. We have seen at this board time after time that pre-mixed nutes in potting soil leads to overfetilizatioon for most growers. Those pre-mixed nute soils are formulated for outdoor growth of heavy flowering, hybridized annuals and not for indoor growth of MJ. The heat, humidity, and increased light time break the time release cycle leaching the fertilizers out at an increased rate and lowering the soil pH quicker. Now not eevryone has this problem, but a majority of the growers do. Based on that, we don't recommend the Miracle gro potting soils.

14. HIGH All, nice right up NtothePtotheK.

For my room which I do Bubble Buckets All I paid for was the pumps and the air lines. Buckets with lids were free.

Now it doesn't matter which way you grow your still going to need the timers, power of coarse.

As for adjusting nutes...nope not with me. I use Nutrilife and it's good till the next change.

When I clean my buckets it's too easy...rinse, rinse...when you do yours bring out the bleach and go to "work".

Of coarse each to their own..but you can't tell me it's easier and cheaper....ever hand water 50 plants it takes time.

15. Wow, that's awesome to know, thanks. For the record I HAVE been having problems with the plants taking up N even though I am providing plenty of it, lately. I will switch to a plain potting soil or unadulterated compost next time I need medium.

edit: after careful consideration and excercise of my memory I have decided that nutrient filled potting soil is still GREAT for starting plants.. I have not had any problems until they're about 8 or 10 inches tall, i have dusted my pots with a little lime now and then, it seems to help.

16. Most people already have a wristwatch or alarm clock, and a finger capable of flipping a switch, therefore most people already have a timer ;) And power, yes, but less power and less wires if you ONLY have lights, vs. lights, timers, pumps, negative ion dispensers, c02 generators and all that other fun stuff. It's not cheap, it's not necessary.

True, but the stuff ain't cheap OR easy to find (offline). Atleast not in my location. I for one am also not thrilled about ordering too many hydroponic growing supplies to my home address, using my real name and credit card.

To be fair, though, I'll reform my statement. MAKING (and testing, adjusting, etc.) your own nutrient solution isn't easy, lots of trial and error, error = wasted money and effort (which goes against the objectives of the post).

You win this round! It is tedious.

You make another good point, but you almost made mine, too. If you're growing 50 plants then the last thing you need is advice on the cheapest or easiest way to get started as a grower - you probably already know what anyone on this board could tell you and more ;)

For the startup grower, I still think it's easier to get into soil-rooted growing and work your way up to something more advanced like pure hydroponics. But of course this is also my opinion - and if there were more readily available guides for homebrewing a cheap, complete hydroponic system without too many variables, it might change my mind. My concern is chiefly with people interested in hydroponics who may be confused by all the different choices and factors involved. A simpler hybridized soil setup is a bit more forgiving of n00b error. As a n00b I completely messed up hydroponics and wasted a lot of money, and by the time I knew all the things I was doing wrong, I realized I didn't want to work that hard anyway! But I've kept most of the ideas I liked and applied them to potted plants.

Like you said, to each their own :D

17. HIGH All, done it did it won't do it anymore...some people can't be in their rooms when it's time to change or flip the switch. Miss a couple by hours each day/week will stress plants when 12/12. Sorry too much of a pain...timers are the answer.

And power, yes, but less power and less wires if you ONLY have lights, vs. lights, timers, pumps

These are in my room..do you know how much power 3 air pumps suck...not much my friend. Wires in the way...nope!!

negative ion dispensers, c02 generators and all that other fun stuff. It's not cheap, it's not necessary.

Agree...not necessary.

True, but the stuff ain't cheap OR easy to find (offline). Atleast not in my location. I for one am also not thrilled about ordering too many hydroponic growing supplies to my home address, using my real name and credit card.

Yup not cheap...that's why I grow great Buds. No online buying for me!!

To be fair, though, I'll reform my statement. MAKING (and testing, adjusting, etc.) your own nutrient solution isn't easy, lots of trial and error, error = wasted money and effort (which goes against the objectives of the post).

Follow the directions= easy.

You win this round! It is tedious.

You make another good point, but you almost made mine, too. If you're growing 50 plants then the last thing you need is advice on the cheapest or easiest way to get started as a grower - you probably already know what anyone on this board could tell you and more ;)

For the startup grower, I still think it's easier to get into soil-rooted growing and work your way up to something more advanced like pure hydroponics. But of course this is also my opinion - and if there were more readily available guides for homebrewing a cheap, complete hydroponic system without too many variables, it might change my mind. My concern is chiefly with people interested in hydroponics who may be confused by all the different choices and factors involved. A simpler hybridized soil setup is a bit more forgiving of n00b error. As a n00b I completely messed up hydroponics and wasted a lot of money, and by the time I knew all the things I was doing wrong, I realized I didn't want to work that hard anyway! But I've kept most of the ideas I liked and applied them to potted plants.

Like you said, to each their own :D

Yes I do agree if you've never grown a thing before go soil or a soilless mix. It's just Hydro's not as hard as people make it out to be.

So after having a few grows under your belt would you go back again?

18. Yeah, I am going to start some White Cow (White Widow derivative, hardier strain) for the next round... Since I already have the know how and some of the equipment, and some money this time, and it's good bud, I might just get a little fancy with it. What's on deck right now are bagseed that me and my friends affectionately refer to as "crack weed" with a very potent but sloppy high.. I can't wait to test the final product and see if it's an improvement... well I already know it will be.. no seeds! XD

-N2P2K

19. HIGH All, White Cow from CannabiSeeds.net. There White Widow Crystal+ is worth it...going to try the Lord#1 next go maybe.

20. how do i keep a perpetual hydroponic garden going and how easy is it URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!