UFO/HID Grow - Testing LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by XchaoticmetalX, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hello everybody, I am making this thread for a multitude of reasons. The most obviouse being to test the LED U.F.O. growlight and see if it grows cannabis as well as a 400 watt HPS like it claims. I have another thread for this grow but this is more to document the streangths and weaknesses of the U.F.O. Another reason this thread was made was for the mass of questions I get about LED lighting since people see it in my pics. This thread will also be a place to record all my data on the U.F.O. without clogging up my grow diary. The following link is to the grow currently in progress, to see the details of the growroom visit this link. I am basically comparing the 90 watt LED U.F.O. to a 800 watt duel spectrum MH/HPS Hid light. The U.F.O. should be at least 1/2 the streangth of the HID light if not more, which is what I am out to prove. After this harvest I will be adding a second U.F.O. to equal the power of the HID and do a Side by side equivalency test. Enjoy how the harvest unfolds. The bulk of the pics will be in the grow diary link, but many U.F.O. pics will be up here to show the plants progress under them. I would love to answer any questions I can about my setup and always like comments/critisism. Thanks for checking out my grow and subscribe so you can see the results unfold, lata. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. cool!

id like to follow this one
    would u like to explain how it works and how u built it n shit
    all together it will be super interesting for everyone
    hope u do it all properly

+ rep in advance

P

3. Yeah should be nice to watch, I am looking most forward to when I have another LED to equal out the growroom, but it will def be fun to see and this will be a nice place for me to record everything.

4. Very interested. The UFO is quite the investment, I'd like to see how it fairs.

5. It has shown great promise with no heat and its mobility, and personally I feel it is doing better than a 400 watt HPS would, we shall see.

6. Hopefully you can speed along the verdict on LED lights.
    I'm anxious to see the results =P.

7. My last harvest was done with the same lights, but this time I applied SOG and positioned the UFO as more of a supplement light until I get another one. Then the real tests begin. As a supplement light though it has proved to be kick ass. The sheer size and portability alone is unbelievably useful, nevermind that it most cetainly seems to rival or surpass a 400 watt HPS lamp.

8. I am subscribing to your thread.
    I wanna see how this comes out for ya.
    Plus reps for the show.
    good luck.

9. Yeah this grow is coming along considerably better than my last. I do have a question for you/everyone though. Are store bought calibration solutions needed to calibrate a ph/tds/ec meter, or is there some ingenuis homemade solution that could be used?

10. Dont mean to ruin your test or anything but thought you might want to check this out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_CtROw3uiVg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_CtROw3uiVg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. did you hear the cat in heat?lol

12. :cool:
    </P>

Pretty cool, but I do have a few probs with this test. One of the whole points of LED lighting is that it produces no heat and the spread/direction the LED has lets the UFO sit 3-4 inches above canopy if not closer. The UFO is like 6X to far away in this grow during veg,THEN it gets moved closer for the budding only while the HPS was perfect distance the whole time. I am not trying to overly defend the UFO or anything but the test needs to be done properly because that was a huge flaw in the test. Right now I am only testing it as a supplementary light until I can get enough room/another UFO to equal my 800 watter. I have to say any plant directly under the UFO puts on just as much weight as a HPS IMO, but it will def be nice to see a test done correctly. I do have a feeling though that the LED's will be best for adding supplementary lighting to an HID setup. Its perfect for adding more power without added heat or needing to worry about drawing to much energy/elecricity bill jumps.:cool:

13. Exactly.

14. Ill be interested to see what happens with an autoflowering variety.

The problem with the ufo is for whatever reason the flowering is shit, they stretch like crazy and the bud growth is miniscule, considering they claim it is the same as a 400-600 hid.

Oh and I bought a pair of these just after they came out and was very disappointed (even using 160 watts of supplementary full spectrum cfls) Ill be waiting for a full spectrum led grow light with a somewhat decent light spread before i drop more money on leds as those are two major issues with whats on the market right now.

If you think of the narrow angle of the leds he seems to keep it as good coverage as possible, any closer and he would have just had a vine going straight up. I do agree with you that as of right now the technology holds promise as a decent supplemental setup to hids.

15. its going to be fun to see where the tech leads, there's def promise.I def like being able to add some power to my setups without adding much more evergy use and no added heat which really has been the best part adding lumens without any heat.

16. subscribed :)
    so is using this ufo stuff safer in terms of stealth?
    i mean, lets face it, we live in a world where we cant do simple things like grow a plant without the man chasing us, and theres many a helicopter fly around here regularly. so does this make it give out less(even no) infrared light for the po-p to catch you out by "accidentally scanning" your home?
    if you answer can you please uote me so i can notice :p cheers and all the best mate

17. I think the problem lies in the design of the UFO itself...

The light distribution on that small area is horrible, it forces all of the growth to go to one spot, compared to the HID which has a reflection shield.

Perhaps if one were to design a system with the LEDs built into the reflector itself, with a greater # of LEDs, things would be more efficient.

In time I think the market will get better. The potential s definitely there.

18. yah thats interesting
    thay can scan u there be careful
    those toys thy got are amazing i saw some shit on discovery chanel
    bastards!!!!

19. yes thats a good idea
    but looks like a lid/hps combo will be the best ever tho

20. One of the best qualities of the UFO-for me- is the fact that I can add another very powerful light wihout having to 1. give up much space at all and 2. It creates no heat. Thats just a starter to. tonight I am taking a pic of my growroom with JUST the UFO on so that poeople can finally see how well the light spreads.