soil to hydro at 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by hwhobbs, Oct 15, 2006.

1. hey everyone, i have two plants one is 4 weeks old the other one is 3 weeks old. they are pretty small, the sepals havent fallen off yet. both plants look very healthy except for the bottom most leaves which are yellow and curling at the tips. i am using 1 200w CFL, 6500k lumens.

i was wondering if it is possible to switch from soild to hydro. i have a 2 pot bubbler bucket.

how would i go about transplanting its even possible. here are some pics.

4 weeks - Magic Bud...
    [​IMG]

3 weeks - Troublemaker....

[​IMG]

2. Someone I met has the same strains (MB & TM) on the grow, although he is 2 weeks on the MB, and a week on TM behind you.

He has also built a 2 pot bubbler, but has decided to test the hydro theory on a couple of chilli plants, as he can't see himself cleaning all the soil off the roots and then threading them into net pots.

Do you have a grow log? I'd like to keep an eye on it and compare if you do.

3. yeah, pretty much my take is your s.o.l. I'd never try to put them in a net pot with their obvious advanced root system.

4. i definatly aggree with rabiez the dirt should wash off if you flush it with some roomtemp distilled water. i dont know wat tap would do on the roots but it doesnt sound good. I think its possible but i dont know how much it would benifit you. they are somewhat small its not like your risking a month old plant

5. hey everyone, thanks for the replies.
    i dont have a growlog at the moment mainly because the only camera i have is on my phone. i may start one at some point .

i am thinking about trying moving just the troublemaker to hydro and see how it adjusts. i dont have all the proper tools to monitor ph and it will be very difficult to clean the system where i have my grow set up, so that is my main deterrent.

hydro set aside, does anyone know when i would be able to start flowering the MB? i want to get it done as soon as possible because i wont be able to bring it back home with me in mid-december. would it be detrimental to either plant's health if i start flowering now even though they arent "mature"?

6. Hey, you're welcome.

I think it's a grand idea. I could see if I can get that bloke I met to send me regular pics of his MB & TM, then I could log his grow alongside yours maybe.

As I understand it from a beginners perspective (for that is what I am to hydro), being able to measure and control the pH and nutes is a basic necessity.

What's the option? I mean, if you don't start flowering it now, it gets killed when you shoot off for Xmas dunnit?

Flower it now, and cross your fingers for it finishing early.

7. hey, stop, if you don't have a ph meter and a ppm meter, hydro is a definite no. Your ph and ppm levels must be monitored.