Do plants respond to vibration

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bizie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. So as we all already know it is a known fact that plants do respond to music and our voices. The study says plants respond best to classical music and actually leaned towards the music speakers more with the classical then any other genre. Why classical I have no idea... Some vineyards actually play classical music over loud speakers for the extra stimulation. I also read that it is the vibrations in the air from the sound and that is why just talking to your plants can stimulate them. I love my plants so much that back in the day I use to play music for them but I got sick of hearing the ambient noise so that had to go. I now have been wondering if simply vibrating a plant would stimulate it to grow faster. I am going to do a little experiment with my air pumps and lean then against the stalk of a clone and another exact clone with out the vibrations to see if it helps. I got the idea a couple weeks ago and leaned a air pump on a plant late in flower and it seemed to mature faster but for me that does nothing to prove the vibrating actually stimulated the plant. Any opinions on if people have tried or even think it will do anything will be interesting to hear. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks I will have some comparative pictures.

2. I had the same thing happen once before where a plant had a branch get so long that once it leaned the one branch rested on it and I just let it be. I did not notice anything but then again I wasn't looking for it either. I was just paranoid a leaf would block the air hole but it's worth looking into. I know it won't hurt. I would think the stimulation would help. I know oscillating fans are used to create wind to agitate stems and branches to encourage hardiness and stout growth so the vibes would be an advanced version to that maybe? I'm subbed and curious.

3. Show me a peer reviewed case study on music and plants please.

4. #4 bizie, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
    There is always going to be people arguing the fact about plants responding to music but I am open to hear both sides. What is your opinion of the fact. Rather then trying to get me on a wild goose egg hunt but here is what I rounded up. Can you round anything up to disprove it?

What Type Of Music Best Stimulates Plant Growth? Draft 1
    Biochemical and physiological cha... preview & related info | Mendeley
    CABI Blogs: hand picked... and carefully sorted: Music enhances plant growth and keeps pests at bay
    http://musicforyourplants.com/
    Music for Plants - How To Information | eHow.com
    click ^here and pick any of these links...

Plants Respond to Music
    Plant Reaction to Music | Garden Guides

If you would just do a search you would see...there is many many more. Are you trying to disprove that plants respond well to music, or what? This is old news, I am trying to take a step further and have only vibration involved. There is even books written on the topic. There is a overwhelming amount of information proving classical music stimulates plant growth and very little information to disprove it.

Its funny, when writing the thread I thought about posting a rack of links to study's that proves plants respond well to music because I knew someone like you would show up, no offense, I mean someone always trying to disprove everyone.

I also found this interesting in my search-
    If plants don't have music appreciation, do they respond to sound?
    It is possible for a plant to respond to the vibrations accompanying sounds. A short bibliography at the bottom of this page gives you some references...but to almost "nothing to report." I emphasize again that while there ARE responses to sound/vibration in plants, there is NO controlled study published on the MUSICAL TASTES or MUSIC APPRECIATION by plants in reputable journals.

One plant that responds to sound-induced vibration is Mimosa pudica, also known as the "sensitive plant." Vibrations induce electrical signals across the leaflets of this plant, and cells at the base of the leaflets respond to these action potentials osmotically. This response results in a sharp change in the turgor pressure in these pulvinus cells, and that pressure change, in turn, results in the folding of the blade at the pulvinus. Another pulvinus at the base of the petiole may also respond if the vibration is severe enough. This kind of response is known as seismonasty.

How would this plant respond in terms of growth if its leaves were kept closed by constant vibration? If you think very long about photosynthesis in leaves as the driving force for growth, you will realize that continuous leaflet closure would inhibit rather than stimulate the growth of the plant. Indeed loud sounds (vibrations really) have been reported to negatively impact plant growth (reference below).
    from here-- http://plantphys.info/music.shtml
    I am very open minded...this is a guy who believes music has no effect on plants because they don't have ears...lol, music is more then sound it is vibration...but he says on sensitive plants leaf stomatas close due to large vibrations..? This plant talked about is a "sensitive plant" said by the author.. This would explain why everyone says plants don't like music with hard bass, i.e rock or rap.

I think if I remember correctly it was last years cannabis cup winner that was electrically charged or something of the sort.. ahh ha yes here it is teslaponics electric lemon G from good ol Adam at TH Seeds....That guys awesome!!
    Now available: Cannabis Cup Winner Electric Lemon G!

Just saying plants respond to all kinds of different stimulation..

one love

5. I read a thread here a few months ago where someone did a test and said that some hardcore metal/rock had a better plant response than classical....not sure if its true or not...it might be since plants don't have ears and don't have to listen to that shit 24hrs a day

6. Wharfart74 I am interested in your opinion. More so your opinion on plants responding to music and some proof that it has no effect. If you can prove that or have any information stating that then that's all I ask for. I'm in no way trying to start a conflict but I read more information stating plants do rather then don't respond to the vibration in music.

And on the hard rock classical music genre thing, same deal... Everything I read says plants prefer classical. Try to round that test/thread up if you can, I am interested to read it.

Usually for me majority rules and that's why I like to hear everyone's MATURE opinion on the topic.

7. More than happy my plants just love Mozart, for years now from seedling to mid veg I play Mozart on an old mp3 player, and keeps me out of the grow room, my plants love it NOT me....lol

The results are in the spontaneous growth

8. I usually have sublime or kmk playing and they seem to dig it

9. I am of the belief that the strong light(400w Mh) and Mozart music fools them to think they are in a sunny field with a lot of birds around, but thats human dis- logic for you ...lol:hello:

10. Ahh hah now there is some good thought for the topic. I wonder what would happen on a controlled grow, one with classical and one with bird songs. Hmm...

11. My plants respond best to mating calls :laughing:
    [​IMG]

12. kaa kanja (canni mating call)

13. Consider keeping a Canary in the grow room too, and you can mulch it's poo!...lol

14. haha na I prefer using my own poo on the plants. That way I know whats is it...
    :eek:

15. Mythbusters showed plants preferred loud music and sounds in a controlled test: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhsbM9LxPAk]Mythbusters - Talking to plants - part2 - YouTube[/ame]

16. mine get sports talk radio 18 hrs tv 6 hrs

17. If I wanted to make a strain and call it 'bat shit crazy' I'd blast nothing but NPR for it the whole time :D

18. #18 CL4P-TP, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    Those plants are rootbound & dry, that's the issue.

I mean seriously go do an experiment where a key component breaks down( their pumps failed) write your thesis, and see what the Prof. gives it. My money is on a "do it again" if not a fail.

19. I just wonder if they get mad when you blow smoke on them..dead relatives n all

20. Hahaha! Nice audioperiod you got them set on.