starting auto with 400 watt hps

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by poppagreensmurf, Oct 13, 2011.

1. is it ok to start my 4 autos with a 400 watt hps or will this not be good thers 4 of them under ther and if its fine how far should the light be aprox with out being to farr..people say the spectrum on the hps isent good for the first few weeks will the 400 watt hps be to much for the new sprouts??

2. I've used a 600w HPS to veg before now but I now use CFL's for the frist couple of weeks due to all the stretching that you can get with the HPS.

3. thhats what i was wondering about is the stretching.? hhow bad was itt with the the 600 will this happen with the 400?

4. id say if you can afford a 400watt hps, go get a couple T5 fluros or even a couple CFLs and a Y splitter. get daylight 6500k. i vegged with these from seed and its great.

does your ballast only light HPS or can you slap a MH in that bugger?

5. yeah i can put 1 in ther its switchable mh is more blue ehh? i got an old skool florescent light sitting around with the tubes. will this be ok or better than starting with the 400? it only holds 2 bulbs in the florescent light. and not even sure what kind of bulbs are in ther probably just some regualr ass florescent lights.

6. Stretching can be trouble with the 600w, Im sure it will be almost as bad with the 400w. You will need to keep the light as close as you can without buring the plants and that can be tricky.

I'd just use CFL's for a week or two, maybe even those flourescent tubes that you have.

7. well they should be poping out tomrrow or later today. so i gotta figure somthing out every 1 keeps saying cfls like ther cheep also gotta have somthing to put the cfls in. ill see whats up with that but if not i guess ill hang the tubes.

8. I think the tubes will do the same as the CFL's so just use whatever is easier :D
    You could use the HPS of course but just expect some stretch is all :smoke:

9. sounds good to me.

10. yeh if you ballast is switchable drop 40 bucks on cheap metal halide....or if you got the cash a good one. MH=veg HPS=bloom

11. #11 Doc-J, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    Just buy a mh conversion bulb. It will work bettter than cfls' or flouros, can be used in your current fixture, and has the proper blue spectrum to make tight nodes during veg. I wouldn't waste my money buying cfl's or t5's when the lamp you have would be more efficient and cost less than other solutions while giving better lighting and larger yield.