Fan leaves falling off during flowering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by imsoheh, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hello GC,

This is my first attempt at flowering and just wanted to get some questions answered by the experts.

I'm about three weeks into flowering my plants. Indoors, bagseed, soil grow. I know the picture is pretty shitty, but am i making good progress for three weeks into flowering?

My main concern these days is that the fan leaves have been turning yellow, dry out crisp and brown, then fall off. I know that in the later stages of flowering that happens but it's only been three weeks and there's no bud yet, just alot of hairs.

I have some cheap plant food for them. Its 15-30-15. The soil I'm using is organic. Is this good for nutes?

Any tips and opinions greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Personally three weeks into flower I would not apply nitrogen. Did that once andnit stunted my flowers.

3. Yellowing of leaves at the bottom of the plants and light green top leaves = N deficiency. Yellowing of the leaves with green veins on the bottom leaves = Mg deficiency.
    Yellowing of leaves anywhere/everywhere, sometimes dark brown/orange spots = pH, overfeeding and/or dropping nute water accidentally on leaves.

4. I would agree mine look similar to yours. I feel like this sativa is taking forever to start getting dense. I gave them a nitrogen heavy fert as they started flowering to help growth, but too much nitrogen will promote more leaf growth then floral growth. Start just adding good clean water when the plant drys!
    don't overwater and you will be great. I have heard many people say yellow fan leaves at the base towards the end of flowering is fine and it shows that the buds have used up the nutrients from the fan leaves which is good.

5. Hes only 3 weeks into flowering. The bottom leaves shouldn't all be yellowing too crazy at all. I usually only get that during the last 2-3 weeks. ;)

6. #6 GaiaGuy, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
    Do the leaves turn limp and droop prior to yellowing and going brown/crisp?

What strength are you feeding? What is recommended on the bottle?

Because that is a no-no. You need to start weak, like 1/4 strength, then work up to half what is recommended. It could be nute burn.

I'd suggest you use clean pH balanced water without nutes for a few times, then see if there is an improvement. The organic soil will have enough natural nutes in it to hold the plant. Just make sure you aren't giving it too much chemical at this point.

7. Or you could use a flush. If you havn't done one yet then you should, I do 3 flushes for soil grows, a small one in the mid of veg a norm one in mid of flower and a norm one 2 weeks from harvest. It could also be possible that your plants are not getting enough nutes, I may be mistakin but a 15-30-15 nute ratio is kind of off for flower, They usualy average to 1-2-2.

8. I'm going to guess that the ph dropped way low when you fertilized, the leaves look like a ph issue (curled under, spotty yellow). Take a better picture of the whole plant, and make sure that it is in focus.

9. #9 imsoheh, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks for all the tips though it seems that I'm getting mixed diagnosis. Here's a picture of a leaf that fell off today. There are only top three fan leaves left now!!!!:confused::mad::eek::( These emoitcons don't do my devastation justice!!!

Sorry for the shitty picture but my phone is all i got.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! What do i do?!!!

Attached Files:

10. Whats the pH of your soil run off? what pH are you feeding? Does your soil have a pH buffer like Dolomite Lime?

How much are you feeding it? What are you feeding it? What are you temperatures? How close is (what light) to the top of the plant? Any pests/bugs on the top or bottom of the leaves or on stems?

11. Confession: This is a straight up ghetto (not even Bronx ghetto, this is concentration camp ghetto) grow and I don't even have a pH tester.

I'm giving it a cup of tap water every two to three days. They're in my closet and I keep it hidden all day so the air circulation/ heat could be a problem. I do have a small fan going to cool them down/ get some fresh air. The Temp is high 70's low 80's. I'm using three 55 watt and one 27 watt as side lights. And have 2 t8 tubes on top. They're all pretty close to the plants. Approx 3- 6 inches away.

Yay or nay on the 15-30-15 nutes? The stem on the fan leaves are purple I heard that might be N deficiency?

12. The leaves turn limpy and droopy as they turn yellow then eventually dry out turning brown then fall off.

13. Buy an aquarium pH test kit for like $5 at a pet shop/aquarium store... use it. Water around ph of 6 and make sure its filtered water! Plants don't like chlorine and a bunch of dissolved metals and stuff in the water. Use bottled water or big jugs of purified water if you need to. That should help things pretty quickly. Purple stems can mean Mg def, overwatering OR a genetic trait.

14. True that omdogg I'll try that thank you!

And is there any chance of recovery? Will my plant grow bud with only 4-5 fan leaves left at only 3 weeks in?

15. #15 TranceKid, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    I advise you to get that pH meter asap and water right. Then you can work on correcting your nutes to flowering nutes. Yellowing leaves into later flowering is natural, but too much yellowing might point to a problem...especially if they're dying at a very very fast rate and your buds aren't big/dense.

16. #16 GaiaGuy, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    Tap water contains some chemicals that certain plants are sensitive to, like chlorine. Now, tap water is perfectly fine to use, but you want to let it sit in the open for 24/hours prior to using it. This will allow the chemicals to dissipate. Leave it in a big bowl or bucket with an open lid.

You do need a pH tester. A lot of water can be quite high, like 8-8.5. (Especially city water. Even some bottled water is that high.) You really need to aim for 5.8-6.2.

Improper pH can impede the plants ability to absorb nutrients, among many other issues.

A $5-$10 liquid testing kit is all you need. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-pH-Test-Kit/dp/B000BT32UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315883278&sr=8-1"]General Hydroponics sells a nice one[/ame] that you can buy at most gardening centers.

General Hydroponics also makes a good pH Down solution, in crystal or liquid form. You need to get that, too. As an alternative, you could use vinegar to get your pH down, but it can build up salts in the soil if used for a long time. Don’t guesstimate with this stuff. ;)

Your 5-30-5 nutes are fine, and ‘cheap’ does not mean ‘bad.’ Does it say, “micronutrients” on the bottle?

Just make sure you are using the nutes at the right concentration.

This is what I'd suggest for a plant with issues like yours:

Flush the plant with pH balanced water for a few times. That means, just water it until water starts dripping out the bottom of the pot, then stop. Leave it alone until the top 1” of the soil is dry. Then water again. I’d do this at least 3 times. It may take a few days, depending on your ambient heat and humidity.

Then start back up with the nutes at ¼ their recommended strength. No more. First add your nutes, then test, then add your pH Down. The nutes will lower the pH naturally by a little bit.

After a couple feedings like that, bump the nutes up slightly. Not too much! You want to gradually work your way to about half strength, then maybe push it a little higher if you feel the plant is responding well and not showing any droopy leafs or other nute-burn effects.

Water when the first top 1" of the soil feel dry.

That should save it, if it can be saved.

Cheers.

PS: Lighting
    What spectrum are the lights in? 5600K, 2700K?
    Keep the CFL bulbs about 2-3" away. 6" is too far.

17. So I bought a ph tester and the water I've been feeding is at 6.5. The water that runs from the pot is 5 so pretty acidic. How do i counter this?

18. You get 6.5 out of the tap? Lucky.

The water’s pH will change as it runs through the soil. Focus on what goes in.

19. #19 pointswest, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    You are burning your plant up with the nutrients. This is strong fertilizer and should only be used once a week or less frequently. It is ok for flowering, but you must use it with caution. You need to use clear water for a few watering and finish up the flowering using 1/2 strength once or twice more depending upon flowering period length. Two weeks before harvest stop ferts and use clear water to the finish.

Your purple stems are a Phosphorous deficiency caused by the high levels of Nitrogen locking out the P. You don't say what size the pot is, but 1 cup of water every 2-3 days is probably not enough water during flowering.

PW

20. #20 imsoheh, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    I live in a rural area so I guess 6.5 makes sense. they are all in 5 gallon pots. though the soil only adds up to about 2-3 gallons. Today when I poked an inch deep into the soil to check if its time to water, I noticed that the roots are barely covered in soil. Time to put some top soil perhaps?

So it's not a pH thing...then what? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing maybe it needs more soil and or water + nutes.

Thanks for all the help btw guys, I would totes roll an L for everyone on this thread