What is autoflower?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xcdt1997, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I was looking at feminized + autoflower,
    can someone describe to me autoflower

2. Autoflowering is simply a plant that doesnt require you switching to a 12/12 light scheme to induce flowering. You can keep the lights on 24/7 and the plant will flower on its own.

3. That's it?
    That's not really helpful.

4. its pretty self explanatory. you don't decide when to flower. the plant auto flowers. i have never tried it, but i have heard its good for beginners.

5. How does that not help? You asked what it is. Autoflowers are Ruderalis Cannabis that has been crossed with Indica or Satvia plants. Ruderalis on its own usually has no THC it was used for hemp production.

Normal plants you switch to 12 12 to induce flowering. Autos you do not. Other then that growing is very similar.

They tend to be shorter more compact plants.

There is no mystery here.

6. Well idk, im a begginer and i would much rather choose how long i veg for. and in that case choose when to flower. Given my cab i have to do that so i think it would be more confusing not knowing or being able to control for that matter when the buds be a coming lol....(just for argument sake :p)

SO: I stay away from them myself....

7. right on pretty much summed that up

8. The main advantage to Autos is there fast. My last batch was 64 days from seed to harvest. They tend to grow smaller to...the tallest of my last batch was 32 inches, other was about 25. All I did was literally just water every 4-5 days. Thing grew explosively.

9. Did u lst at all? i would need it to be kept shorter then that....would i be able to scrog something like that...i mean i guess...would u recommend scrog an autoflower..?

10. Would I still switch to 18/6?

11. You can or just run the lights 24/0 untill harvest day.

12. How is he not being helpful that's what it is Oh you wanted it to be more complicated. :laughing:

As we can see from the above square, all of the offspring from breeding a Normal to an Autoflower will be normal in appearance, but carry the gene for autoflowering (Na). The offspring are all 100% heterozygous (Na) for autoflowering, otherwise known as "definite hets."

Normal X Heterozygous Parents This punnett square shows the offspring from breeding a 100% heterozygous for Autoflowering (Na) to a Normal type (NN).

From this pairing of heterozygous (Na) to Normal (NN), we can see that all of the offspring will be normal in appearance, but half of them will be heterozygous for Autoflowering (Na). Breeding hets to normals produces what are known as "50% possible hets." Since half of the offspring are hets, but all of them are normal in appearance, you have a 50% chance of the plant you grow actually being a heterozygous (Na) plant. The fastest way to prove which of the offspring are definite hets (Na) is to breed them back to a homozygous (aa) strain. If the parent you picked was one of the definite hets, then you should theoretically see a homozygous (aa) plant (in this case, an Autoflowerer) in their offspring.

Heterozygous X Heterozygous Parents Moving on to our next genetic combination, we have a punnett square for the results from a het for Autoflowering (Na) to het for Autoflowering (Na) breeding.

Out of the four offspring shown in this square, we see one normal/wild-type/non-gene-carrying plant (NN), two heterozygous plants (Na), and one Autoflowering (aa) plant. Just like with the normal-to-het breeding shown above, the two hets (Na) and one wild type (NN) plants from this pairing are all normal in appearance, so it is impossible to tell which plants are the hets. Since approximately 2/3 (or 66%) of the normal appearing offspring in this run are actual hets for Autoflowering, they are labeled as "66% possible hets."
    As we can see here, breeding hets together can be a very feasible way to produce a homozygous strain.

Heterozygous X Homozygous ParentsHere we explore another "instant gratification" combo: breeding a het Autoflowering (Na) to an Autoflowering (aa) plant. As we'll see from the punnett square, this pairing produces homozygous animals.

What a great combo this is!! According to our punnett square, out of the four resulting offspring two will be het for Autoflowering (Na) and two will be homozygous Autoflowerers (aa)! Since one of the parents was a homozygous (aa) plant, all of the normal-appearing offspring will be 100% hets (Na) - no guesswork involved.

Homozygous X Homozygous Parents Our final punnett square is very straightforward. Just as two completely normal (NN) strains will produce all normal (NN) offspring, two homozygous Autoflowering (aa) plants bred together will produce all homozygous Autoflowering (aa) offspring.

13. What the above said lol

14. I prefer the first helpful answer lol ;)

15. very nice skunky monkey! as everyone's mentioned autoflowers do exactly what the name entails, they automatically flower at a certain time in their life cycle, almost regardless of their environmental ques. however, there is definitely some sacrifice to the tremendous ease an auto provides. for one, you have less control over veg time, hence less control (to some degree) over yield. second, they tend to be less potent than regular fem strains, because most are crossed with a ruderalis in order to achieve the autoflower. that being said, you should check out Dr. Greenthumbs iranian auto. it has no ruderalis, provides a great yield, fem, and is said to be easy to grow. it's best suited outdoors, but ive read a lot of people doin them indoors in dwc setups and getting great results! i plan on checkin them out, although im workin on some bubba and afghan kush at the moment. if youre totally new, just try some bag seeds, use some affordable soil or a diy dwc (bubble bucket system) and some affordable nutes like general hydroponics, and learn the basics that way. minimal cost, then work your way up once you get the hang of what you're doin man. at least thats what i did.