Nutes for a Poor and I do mean 'Poor' beginner?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by killdawabbit, Sep 2, 2011.

1. #1 killdawabbit, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    This is my first time growing. I planted these plants' seeds on 7-24-11. So I guess they're in their fifth week?
    Anyway, as you can see, I have started LST. Crude I'm sure. But I have researched and studied many grow websites. So, I know I'm going to make mistakes as I go along. But surely at least I can get a few ounces off these two plants?
    I tried FoxFarm Ocean Forest in the larger pot. 25.00 w/shipping. And it didn't even fill the entire pot. Can't afford that until later....IF my grow becomes profitable. The smaller pot is plain MiracleGro 2x you get at Lowes. (I know I have variables in my first grow. I'm trying to experiment at the same time. FFOF vs. MG2x. Weights vs. tie-downs. List goes on. But I do want to get the nutes correct.)
    Remember, I'm a noob and I'll be happy to get at least a couple ounces or so from my first plant. Then I'll advance as I have time and money available.
    What I would like to know is what fertilizer I should use for the remaining 4 weeks of vegging and what fertilizer for flowering? (And not too expensive...;-) )
    Thanks, all.

***Since I know I am inexperienced I plan to start 2 new plants about every 2 weeks to keep my buds in rotation. Experimenting along the way.***

Attached Files:

• 9111.jpg
      9111.jpg
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
  2. HTG Supply - FoxFarm Liquid Soil Formula

17 bucks and it lasts a long while. Bought mine beginning of the year still using it been through multiple grows..depends how much your growing obviously.

The thing is if your using MG soil also using nutes will fuck everything up. MG soil has tiny little time released nute orbs in it. Theres no telling when they release or where there clustered at. So you add nutes thinking you need them but you have all those orbs releasing and you can promptly kill your plant. So your attempt to be cheaper might end up in a fail just from the soil. Certainly buying some quality soil is cheaper then buying. Not everyone has problems with MG soil, but more so then not you read about all sorts of issues with it.

3. #3 killdawabbit, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks for your advice. I should probably just go with what I have? I do use a MiracleGro fertilizer for my other houseplants and have been using it for my girls so far. Would that be OK?
    I know growing isn't rocket science. I just want the best possible for my situation and pocketbook.
    Thanks, again. :)

And I will keep your link for nutes for future ref. Thanks. Kill.

4. he is right MG soil and nut are pretty much garbage, I have used the water soluble MG in the past and it does work but just not as good as the products he provided in his link. I have had great success with the tiger bloom. But I have noticed that if you use the big bloom early in flowering it tends to cause nitrogen def. There is one MG product that I have used and will continue to use and it is the MG organic it's npk is 8-0-0 and I use it to fix nitrogen def. but that is all I use it for. But only because it works for that and it is what I had laying around.

5. When I was talking about MG was refering to the soil. The nute's you can use but for whatever reason MJ and MG soil just don't jive. Do some searching on the net or on here youll see some horror stories.

You can find non pre released nute soil at Home Depot or Lowes if you look. Probably under 15 bucks or less.

6. If you got a fish tank in the house, that water is full of nitrogen cause of all the fish poo.

7. me too (originally) but did add a caveat about how the stuff you showed is better. Just trying to help him/her out.

8. You're talking about potting soil that doesn't have nutes added already? I thought they all did.
    I can see the plant in FF soil is more vigorous but it was a more vigorous plant to start with for some reason. I may just go ahead and bite the bullet if I can see that the FF makes that much difference.

Thanks, everyone.

The first pic was taken today, one day after the pic above, showing recovery from LST.
    The small plants are my next crop coming on. I planted the seeds on 8/16.

Attached Files:

9. **Warning to the wise**

Fish poo is also high in ammonia(Ph dis-balance in soil? but also the same reason you wouldn't pee on your plants despite the explosive amount of nitrogen) and heavy metals(mercury,lead,arsenic and aluminum are metals increasingly found in almost every fish in this world. Out in the wild or not is becoming an odd trend science is baffled by, these metals are released into the water through their 'poop') Im not sure.. but I wouldn't want arsenic, a known cancer causing agent..in my mj. :/

(source: 10 years of owning and caring for fish)

10. I've done this before.
    Also you can go to local trails and scoop some horse manure, or ask a farmer for some cow and chicken shit, lol. I doubt they will mind letting you scoop some. Find ways to improvise.

PS - In the future, Happy Frog soil comes in a bigger bag for a little cheaper, so you might want to go that route next time for soil. Or check out your local grow store for deals.

11. I wouldn't use fish products during flowering, because I agree. I don't want to be smoking heavy metals. But you don't need much N in flowering anyway, so it's not really a big deal. I don't see any harm in using it in veg.

12. #12 Tonytony5944, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    well just remember what cancer is..a mutation in cells of living organisms. if arsenic gets into your plant..is it not possible it would cause a mutation to Mj? (just a thought, and actually..It probably wouldn't show up until the offspring of the arsenic-Mj are grown)
    I wouldn't do it =x

Now there is something I've been wondering about ever since I thought about it..'Water conditioner' for fish water than instantly neutralizes heavy metals in tap water, making it safe for fish. Any reason this wouldn't work for water used to feed Mj? I've been looking around but can't find any documentation on what that stuff is made out of..
    (also, what about ph controlling products for tank water? its cheaper than the stuff made for plants at equal amounts, but would it be safe for mj? Im thinking so long as the water is let to stand a little while so the chemicals can go inert)

13. I recommend Jungle Juice by advanced nutrients. Just get the micro and the bloom. Cost me $27 with shipping but if you have a hydro store by you the micro is $9.95 and the bloom is $7.95 per quart. Good luck! Google Lucas Formula for the right ratio to mix your nutrients.

14. Thanks, thx, thx for all the info.
    Now my next concern is the flowering period and keeping them completely in the dark for 12 hrs. I plan to change to 12/12 for the two big girls starting Oct 1.
    I've been reading and researching this and I'm worried I may not be able to keep every photon away from them during the 12 dark hours. Is this super crucial like everyone says or has anyone else successfully flowered without eliminating every photon of light?

15. I just want to chime in and say fish poop or water is probably VERY GOOD for your plants. The last thing you should worry about is poison. There's a method of hydro called aquponics it uses nothing but fish water and poop to grow vegetables. There are benificial soil microbes and fungi that love fish products.
    And imho if you want to go cheap look into the organics section, you might just like what you find. Soil amendments are cheap and easy.

I snagged these pics from the web vegetables grown in aquponics fish systems. Sorry if there a lil blurry but you can get the gist of it.

Good luck, BeZ...V

Attached Files:

16. well remember, even in nature..the plants will be getting photon's from the moon reflecting the suns light. so long as its more or less 'Dark' I think your plants will be fine..

17. Thanks, Tony. I hope you're right. And I don't mind the fish poop discussion. I used to have about 4 aquariums, one was 125g. But I'm not doing that anymore.

18. While it's true that outdoor plants do tend to grow into high yielding monsters regardless of the at least two peaks in the lunar cycle they will endure in their flowering cycle, indoor plants are reported to be more sensitive to light. I've seen hermies appear in flowering rooms with very small light leaks, but those instances could have been attributed to genetics. I would suggest playing it safe and eliminating all leaks.

19. I do plan to eliminate as many photons as possible. Eventually, I hope to have a perfect system. That's why I am always researching and searching. I have found threads on homemade growboxes that I have bookmarked.
    Now I have another question. Once I find a strain (or more than one) that I love I would like to keep the mother going perpetually for clones.
    Question: can I keep a mother going veg with 18/6 forever and how long will she last?

20. You are getting arsenic in your water you drink and shower with so why does it matter?

Every bit of water I've ever been around when we do our testing its always had arsenic in it... Its normal in well water. Just like Uranium - Since uranium is naturally occurring it is impossible to remove it all from a well water supply.

Instead they have developed safe standard levels in which both compounds are present in your water. Do not believe me, ask for a water test.

I do not use fish tank water, my buddy however does as he has a fish tank. Works great.