How i got started and you could too

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WhiteandMellow, Aug 28, 2011.

1. #1 WhiteandMellow, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
    Hey gang,

First up, if you are an experienced grower this may not interest you, as im sure you know it all and have heard it all already. But this is for newbies, like myself who are growing or thinking of growing...

I am still in my first grow (week 16 i believe) yes, 16!!! my first mistake was to grow a random seed from a bag of weed. It`s not all a bad thing though, as it was free and i had no idea if i could grow or not... so from that my point of view at that time i was doing the right thing but its the chance you take with bag seeds, but i would still recommend starting of as i did on the whole.

There i was with my free seeds and decided im gonna give this a go!
    so, first thing i bought was a two foot CFL light or strip light as they are also known. Then i had a decent size cardboard box so i though why not use it as i was trying to keep costs low as i had not much Knowledge on the subject tbh.

So there i was with my seeds, light and box... i needed soil, food, pots and could i use my tap water or bottled water??? should i go hydro???... i almost did not go ahead with it, but a few days later i said fook it, im gonna get this stuff and find out what i`m doing.

It is then i went online and studied up, looked at ALL methods there were and all foods etc and i just decided on what was the easiest and what i could get hold off (like im sure most of you are doing, thinking of or have done).

First thing i saw was miracle grow... i have saw many arguments raised being pro or anti miracle grow, maybe some ppl have shares in the company?? lol. Anyway, after looking at the pros and cons i decided if i went with a potting soil i could have more control with what goes on and when.

I had also read that perlite helps prevent water loss, soil compaction and allows oxygen to get to the roots so i went with that and my potting soil got some cheap pots, 2 spray bottles and a cheap food called baby bio as it was high in nitrogen and i knew from reading up that in the vegging phase i needed a higher Nitrogen or (N) and lower Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K) (also known as NPK).

I then had everything i needed to start me on my way!!! It was like X mas... i was so exited i came back on the net and went over what i was doing again and i was good to grow lol.

Ok, so all i had to do was germinate the seeds... there was quite a few methods but like before i went with with gut and decided on the paper towel method, which is basically dampening paper towels and putting the seed in between and placing in a zip bag to keep in moisture, (you can also just place between two plates instead of the zip bag).

It can take 3-10 days, and boy was i impatient lol. So once again i read up till they were ready (4 days) it took, and while looking up on the net i had decided to wait till the sprout was about the length of a finger nail and made a small whole in the soil and perlite mix and (root down) planted my seeds and covered slightly with soil.(about one handful perlite to 3 of soil) and water or batter yet get a spray bottle as you are less likely to overwater as a newbie.

When germinating not all seeds will sprout and some take closer to 10 days, so don`t be put off if one seed doest make it. (you can test seeds by pinching them and if they remain whole you should be good to go) look for bigger darker ones

Anyway, i planted them in my potting soil and perlite mix and a few days later there i was i had created life.. and no matter how small your plant/plants are... you worship them! So, in my humble set up i had a few seedligs in soil/perlite, cardboard box a 2ft CFL light and a tap water filled spray bottle (water left to settle for 24 hours prior to using with the lid off) as this gets rid of unwanted chemicals like chlorine in tap water. I then decided i needed a reflective material... again a dodgy subject but all im saying is it worked for me with no problems, hot spots or anything.. yes aluminium foil (dull side facing your plants) I have never had any problems with foil but if you can get mylar (the correct reflective material to use then good

For anyone who does not believe in my methods... that`s fine, but i will say the above has worked for me and if i was to listen to all the people who say you need this that and the other... lets be honest, you just dont! This is for people who are unsure or not confident enough to try it as i was to show them you can do it almost anywhere and although i started out humble i have a good set up now but i still use my oldschool box that i made myself and gave me the confidence to become a grower myself as oppose to paying some idiot money when i could do it myself.

Any questions or input is welcome... i have just gave my how to get started as i did and if asked i will follow on with from then to now, thanks :D

2. Im a outdoor grower and my plants are 4' tall and showing pistils everywhere What can i use to cover the plants to speed up the budding.and how long do i do this?

3. do you mean to induce flowering? where do you love? most of the world already has mj in a flowering state. otherwise... sink 2X4s or pvc into the ground sticking up all around the garden. then use drop cloths or tarps to drape over make sure rain won't settle on the drop and drag it down crushing your girls.

4. I love in southern illinois.my plant i think had been spotted by my neighbor
    I think he might steal it.is it to late to transplant.its everybit of 4' tall.i was wanting
    To speed up the flowering so i can get it out of my garden before my neighbor does
    Hes been known to steal shit.please help

5. I love in southern illinois.my plant i think had been spotted by my neighbor
    I think he might steal it.is it to late to transplant.its everybit of 4' tall.i was wanting
    To speed up the flowering so i can get it out of my garden before my neighbor does
    Hes been known to steal shit.please help

6. you can't speed up the harvest. if he has seen them already there isn't much you can do. you should get some "you're on camera" signs. you should also point out some camera positions (real or not) and maybe tell a little story about how you almost shot somebody because you thought he was trying to get in your yard. then next year get a take better precautions.

7. Tell us the hole story u got a good way with words u get into good detail. Expirensed growers dont usualy do this.

8. Ok thx man.is it too late to transplant?even
    If i dig a huge circle around it making a huge rootball.

9. ? ? ?

10. yes you can, but it is dangerous. just be careful not to cut roots. if they were originally in pots its easier. if they have always been in ground, the roots seem to stretch out further.

11. Ok thx man.is it too late to transplant?even
    If i dig a huge circle around it making a huge rootball.

12. never too late, but its just difficult with mj. don't leave them out of the ground long. don't water before and water plenty after to reduce shock. if you are giving nutes don't until you are sure they survived the transplant ok.

13. I would just take it indoors if possible in a container that allows you to move it safely or just cover it with any transparent cover. You will be fine removing as long as you watch the roots and cut the whole bigger than you expect the roots to be. Just try to think outside the box if you are gonna replant outside. With regards to the teef... Id say do your BEST to get in indoors where it is safe and you aint gonna worry yourself too much about it :) or if it must stay out to speed up flowering you could cover the plant with large black bags to shorten the amount of sun and speed things up a bit? :)

14. that is to induce flowering... it already is flowering.

15. If you mean my story im gonna cover it in my blog before i post it thanks for commenting :)

16. i know, but obviously the shorter light will speed things up albeit not by much? :)