Growing myths and useless practices

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stupidstuff, Jul 12, 2011.

1. A few things I have found to be a wast of time or a usless product. This holds true for me so if you have different experiences please tell us as where i live may have an effect on things.

PH: Do you use city water? Then its already been PH'd. Unless your water's PH is really off, then this is totally unnecessary. PH manipulation gives nothing better. More power to those who do it but unless you understand PH and how it is related to alkalinity then you are doing it wrong anyway. Without an acid demand test the PH changes shortly after you adjust it due to alkalinity. So unless you wait an hour or so after adding acid or sodash the test is no good.:eek:

Hydroponics/bubleponics....: What a joke, the quality and quantity is no better and the ONLY benefit is speed. So you will get half a crop extra this year, big deal. If this is your thing cool but your stuff is not any better than a dirt growers crop. I hate when a grower claims there stuff is hydro, there fore it is top of the line. Its not. I have never been out grown by a hydro grower, in fact I get better yields, and stronger bud. (I did hydro for a year, 4 crops, what a waste of time and lots of energy and money)

Small pots mean small buds: Wrong, i get 2 oz out of a 2 quart container. It is more about the food and how much the plant can handle. They take longer but can get huge

Flushing: My personal opinion is it is almost unnecessary. A few days is all that is needed, any longer and you are loosing THC.

Dont put them that close to the light: If it does not burn them then they are fine. My plants will sometimes touch the 600 watt hood.

Super thrive: Piss is the same thing and actually works better and is a good source of nitrogen. So save some very yellow urine and dont use the Superthrive.

Topping: This depends on the strain but for the most part it is useless and gives no more yield, just more top buds. I did a side by side comparison and yield was not any better. Rule of thumb is top a Sativa, and crowd an indica.

Just some thoughts for the new grower.

2. :laughing: I'm waiting for OSG to turn up :D, topping isn't useless how long have you been growing man ??? i suggest you have a read in the plant training section you may find some intresting info.

Oh and flushing is very neccesory, you want the nutrients out of your plants don't you ??

3. Ooooo this should be a fun thread. :smoke:
    Also are you urinating in the plants & not flushing? Anything I piss in, I'd like to flush, unless it's flush free.

4. I was thinking the same :D

RELEASE THE PRO GROWERS AND SUMMON A SHITETH STORM :D:D:D:D:D

5. Bzzzt. Wrong. It's not about water being 'pH'd' (no such term btw) it's about having the pH at the optimum level for nutrient absorption. Too high or too low and your nutes are locked out.

Bzzt. It has nothing to do with speed or quality. It has to do with being able to grow the same amount in a smaller space with fewer risks of pests. It also can be quite cheap to to. You won't find tons of expensive equipment in my grow room.

Partially true, but in general the bigger the root system the bigger than plant and yield. All else being equal a larger rootbase will give you bigger buds and more of them.

3-5 days is actually enough, but at no point do you 'lose THC' because of flushing. That's just ridiculous.

As long as they aren't showing signs of heat stress that's fine. In general it's best to keep them away from touching the hood though ;)

No it's not really the same but neither are necessary. Most expensive fancy products are bullshit or easily replaced with a proper feeding schedule and some blackstrap molasses.

That's just plain bullshit. Topping, when done properly, will increase the yield of any strain.

And I hope I've managed to clear up the inaccuracies and outright falsehoods in it. Are you sure you really grow? You sound like you might but you're really full of some bad information.

6. Haha i knew it :D.

OP I Suggest you read some stickie's the growers here no there stuff, and OP where the hell did you get your info from ???

7. hydroponics are intended for mass production. You definitely get more crops out of it. when you use hydroponics you are producing a new crop every three wks.If you don't have new plants going into your room every three weeks, your losing money.

8. i think we just busted this posting

9. Haha yep :D

10. Where are your sources to back up your statements?

I dont think you know what your talking about :wave:

11. Unless you meant three months, I'm really curious how you crop out every three weeks.

12. It's simple. You keep one or more mother plants and take new cuttings every couple of weeks. Every three weeks put rooted clones into flower. For awhile I was doing it weekly, so I harvested a couple of plants per week.

13. its called cash cropping.

14. Well yeah, but that's not a trait specific to hydro, it's just easier to do in hydro than soil. I thought you were suggesting that start to finish took three weeks.

15. oh no. no worries

16. #16 stupidstuff, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
    Been growing for years now. I get very strong THC content and massive production out of a small plant less than 4' tall. I generally get 2lbs on a 4' plant. THC content? Medical club bud is like smoking Kansas no high after my stuff. I get nothing from commercial bud. Crystals? If you can see the bud through them you did something wrong. It also better smell fruity. I pass off my outdoor as indoor, so i think it is done pretty good.

I tried PHing for a while but quit and have never had a problem. I understand PH and how it works very well. Some advanced chem.;) With dirt, unless you have a problem with bad water it is totally unnecessary.

Good for your hydro, this section is for beginners and they should run from this until they get some experience. Again hydro is no better or stronger, only faster.

Small pots: I average 1oz per quart of conbtainer indoors. Pretty good? Ya.

My methods work very well and they are backwards i know. I have yet to see anything beat my SSH in strength and crystallization. I have had that strain for 4 years now and locally(Big Sur Ca, area) it is unbeaten. "Kind bud" unexpectedly gave it some competition this last crop though. Silver haze was the strongest I ever grew but I did not like the work involved in manicuring, and it was short on crystals.

The response I was hoping for was, whatever works for you, or some curiosity. I do things against the grain for a reason, it works.

My point is unless you grow for the money all this extra crap is not worth the hassel when a little extra time and simple stupid will give someone top quality stuff.

One other thing is we grow ALL our families own food and two of them are vegetarians, so I know something about growing things.

Here is a thread on the way I grow outside and another WRONG way to do it im sure. But i know very few that get 2 lbs of of a 4' plant in a 3 gallon pot. or 1/4 lb on a 28' plant, But I do every time.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-marijuana-growing/858249-light-cycle-manipulation-big-crops.html
    Yep nugs as big aroung as both your fists.

17. But you started this thread by telling everyone that what they do is wrong...

I'm all for the "whatever works for you" thing, but when you start a thread on a confrontational note, how can you expect anything but confrontation? :confused_2:

18. That was my impression as well, and indeed 'whatever works for you' is great, but positing it as gospel to new growers isn't the best thing to do.

Kudos to the OP for the food growing. We probably grow about half of ours.

19. don't bottm line it. everyone develops their own style of growing. nothin is gospel

20. This is the only absolute I've found with growing. Everyone's different :)